Thread: Stand By Generator

Question Stand By Generator

I was thinking of investing in one of those stand by generators for the house. I'm trying to educate myself a little because I really don't know anything about them.

Does any of you have one?

Anything I should look out for?

How should I properly size it?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!!!

Do you know who you are buying it from? Do they have a salesperson or can you speak to the electrician that will be installing it? I would start by making a list of what is important to have on during a prolonged outage. Mine covers about 2/3 of my whole house, but most people don't really need anything that big (unless you don't mind a large portion of your neighbors camping out at your house during storms!)
    My list included my kitchen and home office, sump pump, freezers and refrigerator, garage door opener, at least one bathroom, hot water heater, furnace. You may be able to get by with less, but my philosophy is, it's not like buying a pair of pants. If you decide you don't like them or they don't fit, easy to take them back and get another. Not so easy to do with a generator, so make sure you are very comfortable with what it will and will not cover during a power outage.

There was another thread about this that brought out some other points, like oil changes/maintenance. (I pay $130.50/yr for a complete checkup and oil change)
    They can be noisy, so try to make sure not to put it like under your bedroom window or family room if possible. It does need to run for 20 min every week. Most of them can be set for a time that is least disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    Do you know who you are buying it from? Do they have a salesperson or can you speak to the electrician that will be installing it? I would start by making a list of what is important to have on during a prolonged outage. Mine covers about 2/3 of my whole house, but most people don't really need anything that big (unless you don't mind a large portion of your neighbors camping out at your house during storms!)
    My list included my kitchen and home office, sump pump, freezers and refrigerator, garage door opener, at least one bathroom, hot water heater, furnace. You may be able to get by with less, but my philosophy is, it's not like buying a pair of pants. If you decide you don't like them or they don't fit, easy to take them back and get another. Not so easy to do with a generator, so make sure you are very comfortable with what it will and will not cover during a power outage.

There was another thread about this that brought out some other points, like oil changes/maintenance. (I pay $130.50/yr for a complete checkup and oil change)
    They can be noisy, so try to make sure not to put it like under your bedroom window or family room if possible. It does need to run for 20 min every week. Most of them can be set for a time that is least disruptive.
    Thanks Cookie,

I haven't spoken to anyone yet. I was hoping to get some unbiased opinions and maybe even a recommendation.

When you say "can be set" do you mean like on a timer where it will go on automatically for 20 min?

Have you "needed" yours yet and did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    Thanks Cookie,

I haven't spoken to anyone yet. I was hoping to get some unbiased opinions and maybe even a recommendation.

When you say "can be set" do you mean like on a timer where it will go on automatically for 20 min?

Have you "needed" yours yet and did it work?
    Yes, it's on a timer. Mine goes off at 2 pm every Tuesday.
    During the October storm last year, our power was off for over a week, so yes, it came in really handy!! I'm a wholesale club addict, so I have a huge freezer and 2 refrigerators that had just been stocked for the winter a few days before that storm hit. We've had day long power outages a few times. I do a lot of work from home, so it helped keep my office running.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    Yes, it's on a timer. Mine goes off at 2 pm every Tuesday.
    During the October storm last year, our power was off for over a week, so yes, it came in really handy!! I'm a wholesale club addict, so I have a huge freezer and 2 refrigerators that had just been stocked for the winter a few days before that storm hit. We've had day long power outages a few times. I do a lot of work from home, so it helped keep my office running.
    Awesome, thanks!

I just started considering this and I am kinda worried. You hear a lot of commercials on the radio about these things but I want to make sure I get something decent and will work when I need it.

I am also worried about having someone knowledgeable and reputable to install it.

Standby Generator

I have a whole house 12 kw KOHLER stand by generator runs on Natural gas. It'll handle everything in a normal house including a 2 1/2 ton central air conditioner.
    BUY from a reputable dealer because service is important. AN annual checkup is recommended that includes an oil change and systems check.
    Look in yellow pages, there are many dealers out there, but try to stay away from the Briggs and stratton models as they are loud and not too dependable. The systems like GENERAC from Home depot are cheap...and you get what you pay for. My neighbor has a 7kw, handles just certain items, depending on your household preferences, sump pump, freezer, refrigerator etc. Its a briggs & stratton and its loud as hell. In fact, some of the neighbors have complained about it when it cycles weekly for it system check. YOU'LL also need a transfer switch. ALSO, you will need a licensed electrician, and will need a permit.
    I bought mine from THIS WEBSITE Ziller Electric Inc. free delivery and NO SALES TAX. I hired ZACHER ELECTRIC who is a qualified KOHLER installer to do the job.
    TRY these websites for more info Kinsley Power Systems & Kohler Power Systems to try and educate yourself on what is available.
    I was completely in the dark when I first decided to purchase and install.
    Maybe these will help. GOOD LUCK

Thread Information