Thread: Christmas in High Schools and is the anti-christmas craze less intense this year?

Christmas in High Schools and is the anti-christmas craze less intense this year?

At the high school where I work, there are several large Christmas trees in the main entrance, various decorations, and just this week we had a holiday concert where the chorus sang various famous carols and the bands performed instrumental versions.

Now, I think this is pretty cool, and so far there hasn't been some red faced soccer mom screaming bloody murder and suing the district for millions of dollars for violating her kid's basic human rights.

But contrast that with Amherst, where I know (from some friends who work there) that having ANY Christmas decorations in the classrooms or halls is expressly prohibited by the administration.

I find that interesting. Two suburban schools within 20 minutes of each other, and 2 diametrically opposed approaches to the holiday "issue" as if there should be one.

A few years ago, some teachers got FIRED from Rochester area schools for saying "Merry Christmas" to students (during the height of the anti-christmas craze). It was all over the news there.

Remember a few years ago when stores were telling their cashiers not to say "Merry Christmas?" IT seems like that stuff has died a welcome death lately (may it rest in peace for all time).

I am PLEASANTLY surprised that the school I work at embraces the season. It reminds me of when I went to school and we did all sorts of neat things for the holidays. What kid DOESN'T like the holiday time?

But it just occurred to me today as I was leaving school that it seems like the "We must ban Christmas" crowd has lost a lot of steam.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    At the high school where I work, there are several large Christmas trees in the main entrance, various decorations, and just this week we had a holiday concert where the chorus sang various famous carols and the bands performed instrumental versions.

Now, I think this is pretty cool, and so far there hasn't been some red faced soccer mom screaming bloody murder and suing the district for millions of dollars for violating her kid's basic human rights.

But contrast that with Amherst, where I know (from some friends who work there) that having ANY Christmas decorations in the classrooms or halls is expressly prohibited by the administration.

I find that interesting. Two suburban schools within 20 minutes of each other, and 2 diametrically opposed approaches to the holiday "issue" as if there should be one.

A few years ago, some teachers got FIRED from Rochester area schools for saying "Merry Christmas" to students (during the height of the anti-christmas craze). It was all over the news there.

Remember a few years ago when stores were telling their cashiers not to say "Merry Christmas?" IT seems like that stuff has died a welcome death lately (may it rest in peace for all time).

I am PLEASANTLY surprised that the school I work at embraces the season. It reminds me of when I went to school and we did all sorts of neat things for the holidays. What kid DOESN'T like the holiday time?

But it just occurred to me today as I was leaving school that it seems like the "We must ban Christmas" crowd has lost a lot of steam.

My theory is that the "we must ban Christmas" crowd was also a tiny minority that nonetheless got a lot of attention by screaming.

Williamsville schools, which my kids attended, were very careful about such things. And, frankly, I appreciated it. Some people call it being "politically correct." I call it being sensitive to all the different religions and cultures in the district.

In fact, that was one of the reasons we moved where we did. Coming from a place with a lot of different ethnic groups and a lot of different religions (Los Angeles), I thought it was wonderful to find a school district that was considerate to the different types of people in it. I never felt threatened. I felt proud.

That's great to hear. Nobody should ever feel threatened or marginalized at school, let alone anywhere else.

I guess for me, Christmas is more of a cultural phenomenon than a Christian holiday. I am not even religious in the least, and yet I celebrate the holiday.

Because this is my view, I can't see it as offending anyone for this element of American culture and tradition being recognized in schools. I don't necessarily "need" it to be present either. I just think its kind of nice and harkens back to a day where everyone wasn't walking around on eggshells about everything.

Christmas is part of American life. It always has been and probably always will be. It has transcended its religious roots for most people as well.

This is just like when we used to have Halloween parties in Elementary school, where we would all wear our costumes to school and win prizes. It was fun, we were kids, and nobody had their entire future ruined.

A solution

FESTIVUS....

leftwny,

LOL

Damn I miss that show! Where are the good sitcoms now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    leftwny,

LOL

Damn I miss that show! Where are the good sitcoms now?!

Big Bang Theory is REALLY funny. Basically a show with smart humor.

Unregistered
    I never found Seinfeld funny or talented

I know other people did but I thought it was frankly to jewish and devoid of talent

Lancaster High School had another beautiful Christmas concert yesterday, Sunday. Mr Lee has done a fabulous job yet again. That man can put on a show
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

I just got off of the phone with someone from Citibank. At the end of the phone call she wished me a Merry Christmas.

Haven't heard that in a long time....

Unregistered

Thumbs up

I noticed the hange in tides a few years ago when my daughter sang in the chorus at her Grand Island school. Their holiday concert included a number of tradition carols.

I recall 'gasping' at the thought that they would be so bold, But was very pleased to see they weren't afraid of the "angry soccer moms"

Downstate, Macy's Department Stores changed their "anti-Christmas" policy a number of years ago, after outcries from their shoppers. "Merry Christmas" was re-introduced.

Christmas Trees were pretty much allowed in most businesses and on Town/City property. The origins date back to the pagan times, prior to Christianity, so I suppose officials didn't view it as embracing "Christianity", in so much as they viewed it as a symbol of the "Holiday Season". Hence the "Holiday Tree" was born. Yea, that didn't last long either, did it?

It's the "Nativity" that draws the ire of anti-Christians and non-christian religions. That's not likely to change anytime soon, IMO.

Thread Information