Thread: Is your auto insurance going up...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

Is your auto insurance going up...

Has anyone, accident free and safe driving, had the experience of their AUTO insurance going dramatically upward because the policy holder reached the ripe old age of 65?

----------
    --> --> -->goal surpassing in progress-->

Join AARP and check out their auto insurance with the Hartford. You get a year long policy that you can pay in full or quarterly or even monthly. I think I saved at least $350 switching to them.

Unregistered

Liberty Mutual [donna.jean.johnson@libertymutual.com]

Linda D. Thank you.

Liberty Mutual has said that when a client reaches 65 years of age, the rate goes upupup. (At least the rate goes up at LM.) That is discrimination against the Not Yet Elderly!!!

[donna.jean.johnson@libertymutual.com] ...Keep in mind that this lady probably is bottom wrung on any insurance carrier ladder...

LM and other auto ins. agencies are not answering e-mails on this matter.

Some auto insurance carriers have actually decreased their costs for clients' new year. Some kept the rate the same. Some added a small amount. LM took a big bite...

After learning about that discrimnatory increase, I am wondering if LM has gotten away with that with anyone else who did not question the next year's premium increases but simply paid it.

I also want to know if other insurance carriers are doing the same.

There is also the matter of how insurance carriers handle the enormous cost of insuring vehicles and structures in disaster-prone areas vs this WNY nondisaster-prone, safe area.

Do carriers such as LM balance their costs through recovery from clients in safe areas because they can get away with it?

It is also a fact that people residing within Buffalo NY pay 40% more in premiums than people outside the city--city residents have been subjected to that for many, many years--while it is outside city limits where the worse accidents occur. If insurance carriers had to pay that back......

No answers are coming through e-mails--e-mails are proof--telephone calls are not--not wishing to reach par, they STILL insist on telephone calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned in Buffalo
    Has anyone, accident free and safe driving, had the experience of their AUTO insurance going dramatically upward because the policy holder reached the ripe old age of 65?

----------
    That and statistically, you're due for an accident. The longer you go without an accident the closer you are to getting into one, or so the that theory goes.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

I would imagine car insurance rates being higher in the city is due to the fact that the car theft rate around here is significantly higher than the national average. I know many people who have had their cars burglarized or stolen outright, but when I lived in other states I seldom heard of this happening.

As for higher prices due to being over 65, well, there are documented changes in ability as you age making you more of a risk. Perhaps I would be sympathetic if I had not just spent years being charged insane car insurance rates because as a younger aged male I was 'more likely' to drive recklessly, despite the fact that I have only been in one accident, never got tickets, and even operated emergency vehicles for years (which entails taking a TON of defensive driving courses and safety classes).

You know that car theft thing...I think that's trumped up BS so that people can get compensated for valuables they never had. Like, I lost my purse in the car and it had $2000 worth of stuff in it. I mean c'mon. Who carries around that kind of cash regularly. I think it's an insurance scam to get a little extra cash.

Have you tried Geico? Our insurance just recently went down by $6 a month & we live in the city of Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame
    As for higher prices due to being over 65, well, there are documented changes in ability as you age making you more of a risk.
    This is why there should be mandated testing at 65 and every 2 years that follow. Doctors should have a say in this too. Problem is this- the government has pretty much decided America needs to revolve around the automobile, and every person in this country needs one for all transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame
    Perhaps I would be sympathetic if I had not just spent years being charged insane car insurance rates because as a younger aged male I was 'more likely' to drive recklessly, despite the fact that I have only been in one accident, never got tickets, and even operated emergency vehicles for years (which entails taking a TON of defensive driving courses and safety classes).
    We're all been there. That single accident will cost you dearly. Don't expect the DMV to take the collision off your license w/out a fight.

There's no 'limit' of time that it needs to be on there. There's a required minimum but that's not a requirement that it gets removed right away.
    "At a minimum, a head of state should have a head."- Vladimir Putin

Colossus- You a Ratchet and Clank fan?

Get a percentage off your insurance

You can also take a NYS DMV Approved Point and Insurance Reduction Class, which is a 6 hour long class that gives the participant a significant reduction in premiums, regardless of age.

Straight from the DMV Web site:

How to Reduce Your Points and Your Insurance Premiums

If you take a DMV-approved accident prevention course, you can

* reduce your driver violation point total by a maximum of four points, and
    * save 10 percent on your automobile liability and collision insurance premiums.

You cannot receive the point or insurance benefits for an Internet course.

An accident prevention course cannot prevent a mandatory suspension or revocation.

An accident prevention course and point reduction does not affect a driver responsibility assessment.

You cannot use the course as a credit against future driver violation points.

For more information, read the DMV brochure, The Point and Insurance Reduction Program, and see the list of course providers.

Having taught this class for several years, I can tell you that it is very beneficial, and depending on the instructor, can be very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat
    Colossus- You a Ratchet and Clank fan?
    Let me preface this by saying I'm 41 on the 21st.

Yeah, definitely!

The PS3 game is the best looking and cleverest game I've seen since Mario 64, and it's better. Plus it's funny. My son and I crack up all the time playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    That and statistically, you're due for an accident. The longer you go without an accident the closer you are to getting into one, or so the that theory goes.
    that's not how statistics work.

Thread Information