View Poll Results: Should Boulevard Mall be expanded to 2 floors like Galleria?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that mall certainly does enough business

5 31.25%
  • Yes with UB Amherst committed to 40% growth it would be stupid not to add a 2nd floor

4 25.00%
  • Yes, the surrounding retail could easily be converted to offices

0 0%
  • No, we can barely handle the traffic now

2 12.50%
  • No, I there are enough empty buildings.This wont attract more business just more surplus space

2 12.50%
  • no opinion

3 18.75%

Thread: Should Boulevard Mall be expanded to 2 floors like Galleria?

Unregistered

Should Boulevard Mall be expanded to 2 floors like Galleria?

Should Boulevard Mall be expanded to 2 floors like Galleria?

Before we even go down this road, can structurally a be added?

When you speculate on what a private entity should do with their own property, it's kind of like taking a poll as to whether or not your neighbor should put an addition on their house because they just had another baby.

No. They should use that mall for a scene in a martial law movie where the USAF blows it up with a small nuke. Then use the hollywood money to turn it into a train station and parking lot as a way to have people get to, and shop, [for that mall crap] downtown. "The Old" Boulevard Mall site could be a stepping stone to the water front and buffalo river development.

I would also suggest other mall sites do the same thing around the area. Let hollywood nuk'em!

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    When you speculate on what a private entity should do with their own property, it's kind of like taking a poll as to whether or not your neighbor should put an addition on their house because they just had another baby.
    If you neighbor's house was place of commerce who's goal was to attract more clientèle to their premises. So, no. It's not like your neighbor's house at all.

My opinion is, as with most shopping malls, to make it a zero-story building. I like sylvan's idea.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Unregistered

Im actually kinda shocked at the responses

Canadian dollar is at par with the US dollar creating a retail boom of canadian shoppers

UB announces 40% growth...thats another 10,000 to 15,000 students who will be shoppers

and there is the danger that if the Boulevard Mall and Niagara Falls Blvd do not do something major that all these new customers and businesses may choose the Transit Road Corridor instead of Niagara Falls Boulevard/Sheridan/Maple Corridor.

Having travelled enough I love it when there are places like the Galleria in Dallas where office buildings and hotels are built above the 2 story shopping mall.

The Boulevard Mall could easily add a second floor and integrate a hotel or office complex all the way to sheridan. The increased retail and the increased customers would provide increased incentive for shuttered shopping plazas to convert to office space.

The Tonawanda / Amherst townline either has to change and rethink itself of instead of an economy of businesses, shopping and students...its going to be an economy of 50-80 year old assisted living seniors living in houses that are to small and unmaintained/unremodelled by social security pensions.

This area is in trouble and if it doesnt re-invent itself in UB related hitech office space, college kid apartments & starter family homes & retail....then its doomed.

would we need to expand Niagara Falls Blvd to 18 lanes then?

Talk about a NIGHTMARE to drive on as it is now.

Whoever decided to make the right lane become a "must turn right onto the 290" lane right past the Lowe's plaza ought to be burned in effigy.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    would we need to expand Niagara Falls Blvd to 18 lanes then?

Talk about a NIGHTMARE to drive on as it is now.

Whoever decided to make the right lane become a "must turn right onto the 290" lane right past the Lowe's plaza ought to be burned in effigy.
    I thought that people who live in all that congestion, like it. Thats why they live there.

Meanwhile the Eastern Hills Mall is vacuous and dormant... But I LOVE their new marketing campaign:

"If you want to avoid the crowds, come to Eastern Hills Mall." LOL Brilliant! ...And it just might work.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Meanwhile the Eastern Hills Mall is vacuous and dormant... But I LOVE their new marketing campaign:

"If you want to avoid the crowds, come to Eastern Hills Mall." LOL Brilliant! ...And it just might work.

I just looked at the mall directory and was surprised at the stores.

With all of the money in this area, I just do not understand the types of stores they have. The anchors are JC Penny, Sears, Bon-Ton and Macy's. Those are all low range and middle of the road stores. I wonder why they have not gone after a Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus. I wonder why they have not gone after high end stores like Coach or Armani or Saphoria?

I am pretty sure the wealth in East Amherst and Clarence could support those.

I like the fact they they are small but they should upgrade what is inside and not worry about expansion. Anyone have any insight on this?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I just looked at the mall directory and was surprised at the stores.

With all of the money in this area, I just do not understand the types of stores they have. The anchors are JC Penny, Sears, Bon-Ton and Macy's. Those are all low range and middle of the road stores. I wonder why they have not gone after a Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus. I wonder why they have not gone after high end stores like Coach or Armani or Saphoria?

I am pretty sure the wealth in East Amherst and Clarence could support those.

I like the fact they they are small but they should upgrade what is inside and not worry about expansion. Anyone have any insight on this?
    You have to remember that WNY'ers are not conspicuous consumers. Even if they can afford Armani they may still buy Sears. WNY'ers are practical people.

Seems like most of the upscale retailers go to the Galleria because they know that its mainly Canadians, not people from Clarence that are buying their products. The Galleria is a known entity among Canadians, Eastern Hills isn't.

By the way, last time I was at the Galleria I noticed that Coach will be opening a store.
    Last edited by Downstate Buffaloian; December 19th, 2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downstate Buffaloian
    You have to remember that WNY'ers are not conspicuous consumers. Even if they can afford Armani they may still buy Sears. WNY'ers are practical people.

Seems like most of the upscale retailers go to the Galleria because they know that its mainly Canadians, not people from Clarence that are buying their products. The Galleria is a known entity among Canadians, Eastern Hills isn't.

By the way, last time I was at the Galleria I noticed that Coach will be opening a store.

I am not talking about WNY'ers. I am talking about a specific group of WNY'ers that live in Clarence and Amherst. I know for a fact several people who travel to Toronto to shop. Part of the reason was the value of the dollar and part of the reason was selection. I looked at the Galleria directory and did not see Coach. Must have missed it.

While I agree that most of WNY is practical, those who have 3 people living in a 5000 sq ft home is not really a good example of it. Almost all of these people live in Amherst and Clarence. Not saying it is good or bad but just an observation.

The Galleria is adding a lot of those higher end stores with their expansion.

With that, may I add.... The Melting Pot is about to open. Excitement!

(Although, I looked at their menu....more expensive than Cheesecake Factory. wtf)

(I spent 56 bucks on 4 drinks at Cheesecake Factory. I guess you get what you pay for though....cuz it was good stuff.)

The rich people from Clarence and East Amherst go right to the Galleria and totally bypass the Eastern Hills Mall.

Plus I still say the Eastern Hills lacks the trendy mall stores that bring in the people.

Again, they don't have the Abercrombie, Hollister, etc. for the teenyboppers. They don't have the Banana Republic or Chicco's or whatnot for the yuppies. They don't have the Gymboree or Children's Place for the moms. They don't even have a Spencer's for the weird people.

Instead, they have a sponge store and a windchime emporium.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Eastern Hills does have Dave and Busters
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Thread Information