Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacks held in Slavery up until 1961(omg)

Blacks held in Slavery up until 1961(omg)

[IMG][/IMG]

I just got finished reading about this and did some research myself to make sure it was true - and true it is.
    I always knew slavery continued following the formal abolition during the Civil War. Some have said it continued in some areas 20-30 years afterward, into the 20th century.
    Enter the Wall family. They were enslaved until 1961. Yes, read that again - 1961.
    There are so many people (race deflectors) that argue that slavery has no effect on today’s society, which is crap of course. However, what will some of those people say about this family that was actually enslaved until 1961?
    I first found out about Cain Wall and his family via the blog entry, They Didn’t Get The Memo That Slavery Was Over, which recounted the story told in the March issue of People Magazine.
    So I got the original article from People Magazine.
    Just, wow.
    In the article, the family visits the land that they were enslaved on for so long. Mae Miller is one of Cain Wall’s children (he is was born in 1902). From People:
    The story that Miller, 63, and her relatives tell is a sepia-toned nightmare straight out of the Old South. For years, she says, the family was forced to pick cotton, clean house and milk cows—all without being paid—under threat of whippings, rape and even death. They say they were passed from white family to white family, their condition never improving, until finally, hope that life would ever get better was nearly lost. Technically, the Walls were victims of “peonage,” an illegal practice that flourished in the rural South after slavery was abolished in 1865 and lasted, in isolated cases like theirs, until as recently as the 1960s. Under peonage, blacks were forced to work off debts, real or imagined, with free labor under the same types of violent coercion as slavery. In contrast with the more common arrangement known as sharecropping, peons weren’t paid and couldn’t move from the land without permission. “White people had the power to hold blacks down, and they weren’t afraid to use it—and they were brutal,” says Pete Daniel, a historian at the Smithsonian Institution and an expert on peonage.

“We didn’t think what was happening was wrong, we didn’t think it was right. It was just the way things were” —MAE MILLER
    The article goes on to say that the Wall family story came out as a result of the efforts of a New Jersey lawyer - Deadria Farmer-Paellmann. In 2001, she began her research to aid the fight for reparations against corporations that profited from slavery.
    “They didn’t know blacks were free, that’s what’s so incredible about their story. They thought freedom was for whites only.” - Farmer-Paellmann
    The family was isolated, they had no electricity, phone, or radio, and were forbidden to leave to see relatives.

Cain Wall escaped during World War 2 but within two hours he was picked up by white men saying they would take him to a recruiting office, instead, they took him back to the farm.
    While working for another family, the Walls finally got their freedom. Mae Miller, at the time she was 18, refused to clean the house. The owner threatened to kill her and she ran away. The owner was furious and kicked them off the farm.
    Miller eventually married and found out she could not have kids as a result of the rapes:
    The most crippling violence began when Mae was about 5. She vividly remembers the morning she and her mother went to the Gordon home to clean it. They were met by two men—faces she recognized. One tugged on Mae’s long hair, she recalls. She tried to hide in her mother’s skirt, but he grabbed her and pushed her to the floor. Both she and her mother were raped that morning. “I remember a white woman there saying, ‘Oh no, not her, she’s just a yearling,’” Mae says. “But they just kept on and on.” Mae says her mother begged the men to spare her daughter, and a white women cleaned her up after the attack. That was the first of numerous times she was raped, she says. “They told me, ‘If you go down there and tell Ol’ Cain, we will kill him before the morning.’ I knew there wasn’t anyone who could help me.”

People contacted the living members of the Gordon family:
    Durwood Gordon, 63, a retired propane truck driver now living in McComb, Miss., recalls the family worked for his uncle Willie, a dairy farmer who died in the ’50s, and cousin William Gordon, who was 84 when he died in 1991. “I just remember [Cain Sr.] was a jolly type, smiling every time I saw him,” says Durwood, who was younger than 12 when the Walls worked there. To him, the rape charge is unbelievable. “No way, knowing my uncle the way I do,” Durwood says. “I knew him to be good people, good folks, Christian.”

The KKK say they are Christian also…
    “We were beaten everywhere—legs, arm, backsides, head. Baby, Lord have mercy, it was bad, bad days” —CAIN WALL JR.
    Her family never spoke about their ordeal until 2001 when Miller attended what she thought was a lecture on Black History. From People:
    Mae finally broke the family’s silence in 2001 when she attended what she thought was a public lecture on black history. In fact, the church meeting was about the slavery reparations campaign. Incredibly, it was only then that the family learned their life on the white-owned farms had been illegal. “I couldn’t believe it. How could somebody do that to another person?” wonders Mae, her voice bitter. In 2003 they joined a suit that is slowly moving through U.S. District Court in Illinois. But for Mae, the distant possibility of winning compensation for her family’s struggle is only one reason to share her history. “I’m really just glad this story is out there,” she says. “It might bring some shame to the family, but it’s not a big dark secret anymore. It’s out there, and it’s not hounding me anymore.”

This story is absolutely amazing. In my digging before reading the actual People Magazine article, I looked up the census records on Ancestry.com (yep, I got the free 14 day trial just for this lol).
    I also found the below ABC video on YouTube discussing the reparations issue and the Wall family’s enslavement.
    Just sitting here thinking about this story still amazes me. I would love to link to the original article on People’s website, however, it isn’t there.

Free gifts from the government! It's like Christmas.
    Reparations Clause is on his way!!!

BTW, I am not a slavery effect denier. I just insist that I and the people that represent me in this democracy should not be held accountable. We had nothing to do with slavery or Jim Crow.

NEWS FLASH! Every white person alive in the USA today never owned a slave. But somehow whites should accept responsibility for a small percent of the population (which included blacks as slave owners)100 years ago?

Get bent dude.

Apparently Strom Thurmond actually got his wish...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Puppet
    NEWS FLASH! Every white person alive in the USA today never owned a slave. But somehow whites should accept responsibility for a small percent of the population (which included blacks as slave owners)100 years ago?

Get bent dude.
    Apparently you didnt watch the video....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    Apparently you didnt watch the video....
    Apparently you didn't watch the video. This whole story is unconfirmed. This could never be a race hoax by black people? Right?

Hmm, unsubstantiated (ABC Reporter announced) video of two women supposedly in their 80's but look no more than 60.

So what are you looking for BTT, reparation? Were you a slave?

Apparently you didn't watch the video. This whole story is unconfirmed. This could never be a race hoax by black people? Right?
    That's what I was thinking. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it.
    Had you told me it was 1890, I mighta' bought it. But 1960? 100 years after the Civil War? 5 years after Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus? Nope, not buying it.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

... NEWS FLASH! Every white person alive in the USA today never owned a slave. But somehow whites should accept responsibility for a small percent of the population (which included blacks as slave owners)100 years ago?
    My grandma from Italy, had no slaves. My grandma from Poland, had no slaves. Not all white people are descendants of slave owners. Like not all black people are descendants of slaves.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    My grandma from Italy, had no slaves. My grandma from Poland, had no slaves. Not all white people are descendants of slave owners. Like not all black people are descendants of slaves.
    My parents, grandparents, great grandparents which all lived in America had no slaves. Going back to Europe they had no slaves that I am aware of, do I get a free pass from reparation?

Unregistered

for many african americans, in many ways they will be slaves for many more generation

for many african americans, in many ways they will be slaves for many more generations

one only has to look at things like poverty, education, (speach, reading, writing, mathmatics, science) government assistance, addiction, crime, blame, anger, single mothers, absent fathers, etc etc etc

all of the above are legacies of the slave mind

all the above ills are ills within the african american community and they are much more serious than prejudice or racism outside the community. Whites, asians, hispanics, etc...are mostly ambivalent meaning they arent racism and its they just dont see african american issues as race only. For example a poverty issue is a poverty issue...its not an african american poverty issue.

and reparations dont work....if reparations did work then the advantages of voting rights, educational preferences, quotas, discrimination laws and government transfer payments to minority poor would have solved the problem in the last 40 years...BUT JUST AS MORE MONEY DOESNT PRODUCE BETTER SCHOOLS....REPARATIONS WILL NOT FIX THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY FROM THEIR INTERNAL SOCIAL ILLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    .BUT JUST AS MORE MONEY DOESNT PRODUCE BETTER SCHOOLS....REPARATIONS WILL NOT FIX THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY FROM THEIR INTERNAL SOCIAL ILLS.
    Lets give them a one time settlement and get rid of all the programs (quotas, affirmative action, etc). Then they can blame themselves instead of whitey.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    So what are you looking for BTT, reparation? Were you a slave?
    are you kidding he is still a slave
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Quote Originally Posted by unioncop
    are you kidding he is still a slave
    He's a slave to his anti white thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Lets give them a one time settlement and get rid of all the programs (quotas, affirmative action, etc). Then they can blame themselves instead of whitey.

Look up the Dave Chappelle skit that dealt with the aftermath of reparations.

"I'm riiich beoth!"

The one dude bought a tractor tractor full of Kools with his money. Another became the richest man in the world from taking the other black peoples money in dice games.

BTT, as long as black people characterize themselves as victims, they'll never get to enjoy the equality they long for. Because they are self defeating as long as they expect others to pull them out.

They need to do this themselves, and more money or special breaks are not going to change that mind set.

None of us here have ever owned slaves, and probably our grandparents didn't, either. Many of us here faced hardship and isolation and worked hard until it all came together for us.

If anyone in that black family let themselves be slaves, with all of the media out there, the civil rights movements of the 60's, then I have to say that's the way this family let it flow. There is no place that rural in USA.

Black Africans who live in the heart of Africa know more than that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information