Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depew resident complains about traffic and traffic safety issues in Lancaster

Depew resident complains about traffic and traffic safety issues in Lancaster

Article on SpeakUp front page:

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_3504.shtml

Bottom line is that apparently there is a woman who is a Depew resident, who has appeared before the Town Board to address traffic problems at Central and Columbia.

One interesting part of the article was the writer's commentary:

Although I commend Fleck for bringing to light the traffic issue on Central Avenue, it is disturbing to see such media coverage given to a town non-resident who openly admits to using Columbia as a shortcut road and then complains because she can’t make a left turn safely at peak hour traffic. Welcome to Lancaster!

Two points:

1) The Depew boundary is only about one long block west of this intersection. Does that mean that anyone living over that boundary should have less of a say? Regardless of the fact that the woman probably does live in the Town, albeit Village of Depew.
    If that is the case, then I find it odd that writer then goes on to talk about traffic at the corner of Walden and Central (Bank of Akron, and Benderson site), because that's the Village of Lancaster. Using the writer's own logic, his comments here should be taken with a grain of salt, unless of course he is a resident of the Village.

2) What does "she openly admits to using Columbia as a shortcut" mean? Is one to be penalized for using a road as a "shortcut?"

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Article on SpeakUp front page:

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_3504.shtml

Bottom line is that apparently there is a woman who is a Depew resident, who has appeared before the Town Board to address traffic problems at Central and Columbia.

One interesting part of the article was the writer's commentary:

Two points:

1) The Depew boundary is only about one long block west of this intersection. Does that mean that anyone living over that boundary should have less of a say? Regardless of the fact that the woman probably does live in the Town, albeit Village of Depew.
    If that is the case, then I find it odd that writer then goes on to talk about traffic at the corner of Walden and Central (Bank of Akron, and Benderson site), because that's the Village of Lancaster. Using the writer's own logic, his comments here should be taken with a grain of salt, unless of course he is a resident of the Village.

2) What does "she openly admits to using Columbia as a shortcut" mean? Is one to be penalized for using a road as a "shortcut?"

And people wonder why elected officials sometime ignore or talk down on the residence they represent........ That person thinks that is bad he/she better not go on Transit near the Home Depot....... Though they are widening the road I still think it is going to have heavy traffic all the time......

I suggest she move to Siberia, we could always donate the dogs and sled.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I think it's because George Urban Turns into French and then Columbia.
    I avoid Columbia and Central between 2pm and 6pm M-F. Especially at 2:20 PM when school lets out. It's hard to make a right hand turn, let alone trying to make a left hand turn. I sometimes wish there was a light there, but that would be too close to the light on Central and Walden and I would hate to have to wait for the light to change on a Sunday morning.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Ha! LOL ...
    Lancaster Bee = "So much press."
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Traffic planning? Now what does that have to do with development?
    After all, we dont have any traffic problems in Lancaster.
    Maybe we could go to a town board meeting and ask Mr. Giza.

I think the point of the commentary was basically to point out how odd it is that with the number of complaints about traffic at the Town Board meetings (with Bee reporter in attendance), that out of the blue, this situation deserves immediate attention where it never did before. Why?

It's always nice when the Supervisor shleps things off to the county or the state, it's their road, they need to do something. Why is it that the Lancaster Town Board needs to go elsewhere to fix the problems brought about by the poor decisions they made during the "planning" stages of developing this town? Why not just call up Voelker again and adjust the light timings? Oh, I forgot, that apparently doesn't work.

As for a pass through or shortcut, I could care less. It's what you have to do to get around Lancaster with the lack of main arterial roads. Hang in there folks, there's lots of new subdivisions and interconnected stub roads on the way. By next Spring there will be new shortcuts to explore, just be aware of the new stop signs that will pop up in front of people's subdivision homes as traffic increases on the side streets in the "fine-tuning" stages.

They should have known better.

Originally Posted by concernedwnyer

And people wonder why elected officials sometime ignore or talk down on the residence they represent........
    The jokes on you, they only represent themselves and other interests, not residents. Must be the mandate.

Shouldn't you be posting in yellow?

A great benefit to a local community.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot Fungus
    I think the point of the commentary was basically to point out how odd it is that with the number of complaints about traffic at the Town Board meetings (with Bee reporter in attendance), that out of the blue, this situation deserves immediate attention where it never did before. Why?

It's always nice when the Supervisor shleps things off to the county or the state, it's their road, they need to do something. Why is it that the Lancaster Town Board needs to go elsewhere to fix the problems brought about by the poor decisions they made during the "planning" stages of developing this town? Why not just call up Voelker again and adjust the light timings? Oh, I forgot, that apparently doesn't work.

As for a pass through or shortcut, I could care less. It's what you have to do to get around Lancaster with the lack of main arterial roads. Hang in there folks, there's lots of new subdivisions and interconnected stub roads on the way. By next Spring there will be new shortcuts to explore, just be aware of the new stop signs that will pop up in front of people's subdivision homes as traffic increases on the side streets in the "fine-tuning" stages.

They should have known better.

The jokes on you, they only represent themselves and other interests, not residents. Must be the mandate.

Shouldn't you be posting in yellow?

Foot Fungus I could only imagine why you elected to go with that userid name

You shoudl get involved with the "bad"[ ] folks you speak so highly of. May be you could do worst...

Originally Posted by concernedwnyer aka:Prince

Foot Fungus I could only imagine why you elected to go with that userid name
    The only thing you seem to imagine is your self imposed legendary status.

You shoudl get involved with the "bad"[ ] folks you speak so highly of. May be you could do worst...
    No thanks, then I would have to value your opinions (or at least act like I did).

By the way, can anyone figure out how to put a little brown nose on the smiley faces that Prince uses? Just looking for a little accuracy.

Some residents of Depew, like me, are in the Lancaster School District. So, I think, this was the proper place for this person to voice their conncern. I don't think the school board is the place to address this issue.

Concernedwnyer to Foot Fungus
    I believe shoudl means shouldn’t, but who are you referring to as bad guys and if FF is hanging with bad guys, how could he do worse?

Mesue quote:
    Some residents of Depew, like me, are in the Lancaster School District. So, I think, this was the proper place for this person to voice their conncern. I don't think the school board is the place to address this issue.
    I believe you are saying the Town Board is the right place for the lady to go to complain about the traffic at Columbia and Central. You are absolutely right!

However, I don’t believe Fleck has gone to the Town Board, with or without petitions on this matter. Even though Fleck does not pay Lancaster town taxes, she has a right to go before the town board and complain about an unsafe condition, especially when she is traveling in the school district.

She is sure to get support from town residents who have complained about this overburdened stretch of road for years.

For now, Fleck should consider the route suggested by Map Quest – Geo. Urban to Transit, left on Transit to Pleasant View Drive, right onto Pleasant View Drive to Forton and a safe right turn onto the Lancaster High School property.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    Ha! LOL ...
    Lancaster Bee = "So much press."
    Ageed. Must have been a slow news day.

Central Ave Woes

I’m a Lancaster resident, though only for the last 7 years. I live on Central Ave- 6 houses south of Columbia Ave on the west side of the road across from Ronald Dr.
    I can attest to the Depew resident’s concerns. I return from work from the south and have to make a left hand turn to get to my driveway and the traffic is horrendous. I always back into my driveway because it is too dangerous to back out. If I intend to go anywhere north of my house, I do it before returning home from work because it is too dangerous to make a left turn out of my driveway. When the traffic heading south is backed up to my driveway from the Walden intersection, the people heading south usually will flag me to come out of the driveway but if there are trucks in the line ahead of them, I’m unable to see if there is traffic heading north. So, I’ll have to wait 7-10 minutes until there is a clear view and it is safe to pull out.

It seems the Lancaster Town government predominantly operates in hindsight mode, as their traffic studies are asked for after housing development approvals.

Hey Gorja - I see you're kind of new here; welcome aboard.

Just so you're know - ignore any forthcoming arguments that are written entirely in purple.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja
    I’m a Lancaster resident, though only for the last 7 years. I live on Central Ave- 6 houses south of Columbia Ave on the west side of the road across from Ronald Dr.
    I can attest to the Depew resident’s concerns. I return from work from the south and have to make a left hand turn to get to my driveway and the traffic is horrendous. I always back into my driveway because it is too dangerous to back out. If I intend to go anywhere north of my house, I do it before returning home from work because it is too dangerous to make a left turn out of my driveway. When the traffic heading south is backed up to my driveway from the Walden intersection, the people heading south usually will flag me to come out of the driveway but if there are trucks in the line ahead of them, I’m unable to see if there is traffic heading north. So, I’ll have to wait 7-10 minutes until there is a clear view and it is safe to pull out.

It seems the Lancaster Town government predominantly operates in hindsight mode, as their traffic studies are asked for after housing development approvals.

Hi and ignore what Therising had posted about furthcoming arguments written in purple. As you can tell, he did not even get the color right - he prefers pink Messages here are googled which means anyone who does a google search can find the posts... Might want to be carefully about disclosing personal information on the Internet and especially on message boards.

Originally Posted by gorja

Good to have you on the boards. The more the merrier.

Central/Harris Hill is a nightmare at times. The turning signals help a bit, but not much. Unfortunately the remedial work that will be done eventually (an extra turning lane at some intersections) isn't going to help much either. The new traffic that will result from the upcoming and ongoing development will not help either (especially when Marrano gets to the office park segment of Pleasat Meadows). Much of that traffic will exit through Seitz using the Walden Trace subdivision as a pass through.

Preliminary reports on the traffic study show a decrease in traffic, so I wouldn't put much stock in it. The best thing to do is to let the Town Board know about your situation through letters, petitions or appearances at the Town Board meetings (1st and 3rd Mondays of each month). The more people that let them know about the problem, the closer you can come to a solution and an easier and safer time exiting the driveway.

Originally Posted by Prince

Hi and ignore what Therising had posted about furthcoming arguments written in purple. As you can tell, he did not even get the color right - he prefers pink Messages here are googled which means anyone who does a google search can find the posts... Might want to be carefully about disclosing personal information on the Internet and especially on message boards.
    Don't mind him, he's just looking for some love. It ain't easy bein' purple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information