A control board was recently announced as a "Valium" cure for our battle-worn Queen City, long wallowing in an economic depression. For much of Western New York, the idea of such dramatic action is fairly overwhelming and intimidating.
However, the possibility exists that if a control board takes hold of the city by her mangled, matted roots and hacks away at the split ends, the overwrought and undernourished follicles and the permanently damaged tresses, a new Buffalo style outgrowth could initiate a 21st century renaissance.

Which brings me to my point, actually more of a plea. If the control board is to be a truly effective vehicle for change, then it must be comprised of men and women who are economically astute, commercially ruthless and politically independent. They must be community-connected and willing to make tough decisions, no matter who they affect or how much they hurt this region, short term.

So please, to the powers that be, don't let this control board become just one more politically focused, incapable, life-sucking, indecisive, leaderless convocation. This city does not want to self-destruct. Its people do not want to give up. All they need is a chance, a direction, some leadership.

Let the politicos have their "sound-byte" titles on this control board, but please, put real financial gurus and corporate wunderkinds behind them as decision-makers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that if the control board evolves with recycled membership reapplying more of the same treatments that have ruined this region, we might as well begin evacuating now.

I love this city. It's part of my family's past and our present. Wisely chosen control board members are the hope of our future.

CHRISTINA ABT
Eden

www.buffalo.com