Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beware The Beggar @ Tops & Wegmans on Transit in Cheektowaga/Depew/Lancaster

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    When anyone does this to me I take them shopping instead of giving them cash.
    I did that to my brother. He asked me for money to buy formula and diapers for his kids. So, I gave him money. I found out he bought pot with it and nothing for his family. The next time he asked me for money I asked why. He said for formula and diapers for his kids. I went to the store. I bought formula, diapers, smokes for him, cookies for the older kids, milk, bread, TP and stuff to make a dinner. He never asked me for money again.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    The "crippled" juggler & company?
    Nope... never seen a juggler, and this was like 8 or 9 years ago when I was working there. Some of those guys were lucky they could walk and find the liquor store, I doubt any of them could juggle.

I remember one day one of the heroin addicts managed to OD in one of the houses, so BPD, the EMT's, and finally the morgue showed up. One of the guys told me later that this guy went out the sunday before, scored himself some 'H', shot up, then afterwards got in the way while some of the other residents were playing poker - so they took him and dumped him in his room. On wednesday, somebody finally remembered and decided to check on him cuz they hadn't seen him in 3 days, and found that he had choaked to death on his own vomit. So he'd been dead for 3 days and didn't smell to good.
    I guess the party didn't stop while the police and the morgue were there picking the guy up, the alcohol kept flowing and it turned into a spectator sport.
    With friends like that, I guess you don't need any enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    I did that to my brother. He asked me for money to buy formula and diapers for his kids. So, I gave him money. I found out he bought pot with it and nothing for his family. The next time he asked me for money I asked why. He said for formula and diapers for his kids. I went to the store. I bought formula, diapers, smokes for him, cookies for the older kids, milk, bread, TP and stuff to make a dinner. He never asked me for money again.
    Oddly enough, I was talking to some of the LP guys that worked for one of the companys I was with... and they told me that formula and diapers were one of the biggest shoplifting items when they catch people. I guess they can sell them for drug money, plus drug dealers have babies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant
    Nope... never seen a juggler, and this was like 8 or 9 years ago when I was working there. Some of those guys were lucky they could walk and find the liquor store, I doubt any of them could juggle.

I remember one day one of the heroin addicts managed to OD in one of the houses, so BPD, the EMT's, and finally the morgue showed up. One of the guys told me later that this guy went out the sunday before, scored himself some 'H', shot up, then afterwards got in the way while some of the other residents were playing poker - so they took him and dumped him in his room. On wednesday, somebody finally remembered and decided to check on him cuz they hadn't seen him in 3 days, and found that he had choaked to death on his own vomit. So he'd been dead for 3 days and didn't smell to good.
    I guess the party didn't stop while the police and the morgue were there picking the guy up, the alcohol kept flowing and it turned into a spectator sport.
    With friends like that, I guess you don't need any enemies.
    He's there---also he always on Chippewa--or least used to be.

I dont view the juggler as a panhandler.. He is providing entertainment so in some way hes working.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    I heard a few years ago that the little guy in a wheelchair who used to juggle in front of the Main Place Mall got hit by a car and killed...

Is that true or is he still around?
    Not true. He was in front of CVS on Main St. an hour ago.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chant
    Oddly enough, I was talking to some of the LP guys that worked for one of the companys I was with... and they told me that formula and diapers were one of the biggest shoplifting items when they catch people. I guess they can sell them for drug money, plus drug dealers have babies too.
    20 some years ago, when I worked for PathMark downstate, I was often called to witness LP when they'd make a stop. The biggest shoplifting items were cartons of cigarettes, batteries, and anything from the meat department.

It's amazing how much merchandise someone can shove down their pants

people do that at Tops' all over WNY.

Just say no and drive away

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    20 some years ago, when I worked for PathMark downstate, I was often called to witness LP when they'd make a stop. The biggest shoplifting items were cartons of cigarettes, batteries, and anything from the meat department.

If you've seen the price of meat lately you'll understand why I'm thinking of doing the five finger discount, too. Yikes! But then, who'd want to eat it after stuffing in the pants?

Is Pathmark still around? Liked that store--in Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer

LOL. When I worked at a drugstore, I was amazed at how often people would steal aspirin, sleeping pills and cold medicine... But then I realized that such items were being used for... ahem... not their usual purposes.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by speaker

Is Pathmark still around? Liked that store--in Brooklyn.
    Yes, its still around. I shop there every week. You can't beat their prices.

Many years ago I worked in a grocery store and we had a man in his 70s who stole flashlights and bulk dog biscuits.
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Unregistered

Caboosing along & being a Harmless Person...

I post something, people answer, I get back on the train of thought in time to be the caboose!!!

I think the black lady and her dog and the woman in white are two different people we haven't seen in a long time.

The last time I saw a black male in a wheelchair, minus legs, was in front of the Broadway Market at Eastertime. Back when there was a KMart across the street. Even a Metro bus driver got into that bit of fun. We actually had a good conversation with the man while his buddy waited a distance away, but we didn't leave a donation!

There also is a different black male in a wheelchair downtown who approached us once. We didn't give him anything. A little later we saw him eating something in a fast food bag that he scrounged out of a trash can! We felt bad! We never saw him again.

Has anyone here ever seen or met "Wanda"? We still see her sometimes. She is a Harmless Person. Years ago, she had kids believing she was a truant officer.

As far as giving out money, we don't do that; not cash. We have mottos: Charity Begins at Home & We Gave at the (Tax) Office.

We once asked a person begging if he wanted to join us at a restaurant since he said he was hungry and we were on our way to eat. He declined & just walked away. He wasn't dressed any worse than we were in T-shirts and jeans. Guess his motto was Cash Only.

----------
    --> --> -->goal surpassing in progress-->

The Juggler, if it's the one n the wheelchair, is a bona fide dealer. There was a complaint made to some organization when they used his likeness in an on-air promotion of the area.

Best to offer food - never give money -

Unregistered

Jokester:

I don't know if the guy in a wheelchair eating out of a trash can is the same guy as that one who was at the BM. I can't remember the condition of the actually hungry man's legs.

The guy outside the BM was juggling, not openly asking for anything, although I think I remember a basket or hat for "donations" and he was funny.

What sort of promotion would use a beggar/whatever? Sicksicksicky thing to do.

----------
    --> --> -->goal surpassing in progress-->

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information