Some Buffalo homeowners are ready to fight FEMA tonight over flood insurance. The federal government has classified some homes in the Old First Ward as being at higher risk for flooding, and is proposing flood insurance for that area. Just weeks ago, FEMA redrew the flood map, and removed homes in the South Buffalo and Kaisertown area along Cazenovia Creek from the map. Now the people who live along the Buffalo River could potentially be paying premiums that cost anywhere from $500-1000 yearly for flood insurance, if the proposed zoning goes into effect.

Philabelle Hill grew up in the Old First Ward. She says it's a good place to raise a family, and that's why she bought a house here. "We've never had a street flood on this block. I've lived here for 23 years."

Philabelle and her husband Kevin were not happy to get a letter informing them that they may have to pay a flood insurance premium because the Federal Emergency Management Agency, known as FEMA, may classify them at risk for flooding. Kevin Hill said, "What, my basement's going to flood? I doubt it's ever going to get high enough to damage my first floor. So what do I have to worry about, my furnace and my two water heaters and my washer and dryer. Those are easy enough to replace without having to pay insurance."

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/10907936.html