Thread: echolocation found in Lake Champlain (w/link)

echolocation found in Lake Champlain (w/link)

As someone who has lived in Northern NY off and on for many years, I became more and more fascinated with "Champy"

This is a pretty amazing find. As far as I am concerned, if it turns out that "Champy" is some sort of uniquely evolved Dolphin or Whale that got caught in the lake after it was cut off from the ocean, that doesn't make it any less "cool...."

Just the idea that SCIENCE has found HARD EVIDENCE of a previously unknown creature in the Lake is amazing in and of itself. Part of me wants to know, but part of me wants it to remain a mystery....

Sort of the catch 22 of being extremely curious I guess!

You can Google search for more info. ALSO, check out this link:

http://www.animalvoice.com/lakechamplain.htm
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

nobody else thinks this is pretty cool?

I have always thought that the "real" Champy was some sort of freshwater whale/dolphin species that was left over from when the lake was joined with the ocean and had to adapt.... They found fossils of a beluga-type animal in Vermont.

Someone said "where are all the bones then?" I say that they're with the giant Lake Sturgeon carcasses, all the fish bones, and all the dead seagulls.

How many dead bears or Coyotes have you seen laying in the forest? Does that mean they aren't there?

Who knows what is going on..... It could be some sort of large fish as well, although no known animal in the lake uses echolocation, so whatever it is, it is previously undiscovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    nobody else thinks this is pretty cool?

I have always thought that the "real" Champy was some sort of freshwater whale/dolphin species that was left over from when the lake was joined with the ocean and had to adapt.... They found fossils of a beluga-type animal in Vermont.

Someone said "where are all the bones then?" I say that they're with the giant Lake Sturgeon carcasses, all the fish bones, and all the dead seagulls.

How many dead bears or Coyotes have you seen laying in the forest? Does that mean they aren't there?

Who knows what is going on..... It could be some sort of large fish as well, although no known animal in the lake uses echolocation, so whatever it is, it is previously undiscovered.

Are you talking about the Lake Champlain "Monster" which I've heard about for years?

The United State's version of the Loch Ness Monster?

A freshwater mamillian of large proportions that was a legend up until recently?

Of course that's fascinating.

This falls under Cryptozoology but I will follow the link you have later on.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

it could be some sort of small dolphin like creature...

that would explain the "humps" since a small group of dolphins surfacing often looks like 1 large creature from far away

part of me wants to see more investigation, but another part of me loves the secluded "far away from civilization" feeling of Lake Champlain and the areas around it.

The last thing we need is for Lake Champlain to become another Lake George: full of rich snobby New York City residents who want a "cabin on a lake" to go to every weekend.

Thread Information