Thread: This just in....

This just in....

Surprise....we're paying too much in Taxes!!

http://www.bcnys.org/whatsnew/2004/0816upstate.htm

FOR RELEASE: Immediate — Monday, August 16, 2004
    CONTACT: Matthew Maguire • 518/465-7517 Ext. 276 • 518/461-1345 (mobile)
    E-mail: matthew.maguire@bcnys.org

STUDY: UPSTATE TAXPAYERS PAY UP TO $6 BILLION A YEAR EXTRA IN TAXES,
    MAINLY TO FUND HIGH SPENDING ON LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AND MEDICAID

ALBANY—Upstate New York taxpayers paid as much as $6 billion more in state and local taxes than they would in an average state, mostly because of the state's far-above-average levels of spending on Medicaid and local government payrolls, a new report from The Public Policy Institute of New York State shows.

Only aggressive actions to trim local government payrolls and reduce—not merely shift—the state's burden of Medicaid spending will ease this burden and reduce its drag on the Upstate economy, according to the report, "How High is the Upstate Tax Burden—and Why?" The report, which was released August 16 by The Institute, is posted at www.ppinys.org/reports/2004/upstate_taxes04.pdf.

"Upstate's businesses and taxpayers are paying state and local taxes that are about $5 billion to $6 billion a year higher than they would be if they were living in, say, Ohio," the report said. "And that's more than enough to impose a significant drag on the region's economy—one reason Upstate's job growth has lagged behind competing states' for so long."

State income taxes per capita Upstate are about 22 percent above average, which means Upstaters pay about $800 million a year above the norm. But the disparity in local taxes is even higher: about 55 percent above the national average. This costs Upstate taxpayers about $4.2 billion a year more than they would pay if they paid local taxes at the national average per capita, the report said.

This difference includes higher property taxes (more than $3 billion extra a year) and higher local sales taxes (more than $1.3 billion extra a year), the report noted:

* Property taxes: "In Monroe County, for example, property taxes collected by all units of local government (the county, school districts, Rochester, towns, etc.) in 2001 added up to almost $1,400 per capita—about 70 percent above the national average," the report said. "Property taxes in Albany County appear to have been about 75 percent above the national average per capita. In Broome County the gap was about 46 percent; in Erie County , about 42 percent; in Onondaga County, about 48 percent; in Oneida County, about 25 percent."

* Sales taxes: Local sales taxes Upstate are even farther above the national norm in percentage terms, the report noted. "Local sales taxes per capita Upstate were $369 in 2001, or about 110 percent above the national average—some $1.3 billion higher than they would have been if they had matched the national average. In Ohio, by contrast, local sales tax collections per capita were less than half the national average."

Upstate's taxes are so far above average because spending is higher, especially in two key spending areas: government payroll and Medicaid.

* Local government payrolls: Upstate local governments have some 93,500 more employees than they would have if they merely matched the national average ratio of local government workers to population. This excess of more than 25 percent along costs Upstate taxpayers more than $4 billion extra a year.

* Local Medicaid spending: New York's Medicaid program costs Upstate taxpayers about $1 billion more a year in state and local taxes than it would if it matched the national average per recipient.

As of 2001, total Medicaid spending Upstate was about $2 billion more than the program would spend Upstate if New York reduced its cost per recipient to the national average. In other words, if New York held its Medicaid spending to the national average, Upstate taxpayers could save about $1 billion in their state and local taxes. (The other $1 billion in savings would go to the federal government).

Cutting high local spending and taxes will require action both in Albany and locally, the report noted. Locally, "serious and difficult initiatives" such as consolidation of governments or government services will be required. And "Albany, meanwhile, must reform its 'mandates'—the state rules that help drive up so many costs at the local level—from Medicaid to collective bargaining to the restraints on governmental consolidation, downsizing and/or privatization," the report said.

The report highlighted an irony in the debate about managing the state's burden of Medicaid spending: the fact that a state takeover of Medicaid spending would actually cost Upstaters money.

"The most oft-recommended 'cure' for the Medicaid burden on Upstate taxpayers is for the state government to take over the local share of the cost, thus easing the burden on the property tax," the report said. "Ironically, however, this would backfire on Upstate taxpayers as a whole. Unless the program were drastically reformed first, Upstate taxpayers would end up paying at least $250 million more in state taxes than they would gain in local tax relief."

A state takeover of the local share would tend to shift money to New York City and, based on 2001 spending and tax patterns, increase upstate taxpayers' state taxes by about $1.08 billion while decreasing their local taxes about $815 million—for a net loss of over $250 million, the report added.

"Solving Upstate's high tax problem requires two key things: downsizing local governments; and cutting, rather than just shifting, the cost of Medicaid," the report concluded. "Neither step will be easy. But both are essential."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Duh

I'm very surprised that no one seems to care about this report. If nothing else, just read the last paragraph...it pretty much says it all:

"Solving Upstate's high tax problem requires two key things: downsizing local governments; and cutting, rather than just shifting, the cost of Medicaid," the report concluded. "Neither step will be easy. But both are essential."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I read it and it's insane. Here's the issue rising, you and I know it's insane but you know the law makers created it. You don't see them doing a thing really to limit it either.

I don't say this often to people on this site, but , "You are right".
    (Feels kinda good.)

I'm very surprised that no one seems to care about this report.

I'm sorry therising, I was assuming this was a report about upstate NY. I haven't replied to it because it didn't really pertain to Western New York.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    NYS causes some of the issues we face in WNY.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    I'm sorry therising, I was assuming this was a report about upstate NY. I haven't replied to it because it didn't really pertain to Western New York. [/B]
    Owl - you're smarter than that. How can you say it doesn't apply to us, just Upstate? Like it or not, we are Upstate,

Thread Information