View Poll Results: Should the Media Have a Bias Disclaimer?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, The media is the tool that promotes the growth of democracy and should be held to a standard

6 66.67%
  • No, The media does a good job of being completely objective

0 0%
  • No, The media is a business and can do whatever they want to make a buck.

3 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media Matters: Bias in the Media

Media Matters: Bias in the Media

In the course of researching the history of broadcast media for my seemingly never ending dissertation, I have had a few ponderings on how the media presents both itself and the news it broadcasts. One of the ideas that has been floating around is whether a network or local broadcaster can advertise or otherwise promote that they are giving an unbiased report of the happenings of the world. A prime example of this is Fox News which is undoubtedly very Right/Conservative Leaning, yet touts an unbiased portrayal of the news.
    I have included a poll and the hypothetical question that I pose is this;
    Should the networks and Local Broadcasters be required to show a disclaimer that the events they report are not objective and may be biased towards a political or social agenda?

Too many people take what they see and hear on mainstream media as fact and have little interest or ability to discern actual facts from Spin.

Exclamation If only

Quote Originally Posted by youngdemocrat
    In the course of researching the history of broadcast media for my seemingly never ending dissertation, I have had a few ponderings on how the media presents both itself and the news it broadcasts. One of the ideas that has been floating around is whether a network or local broadcaster can advertise or otherwise promote that they are giving an unbiased report of the happenings of the world. A prime example of this is Fox News which is undoubtedly very Right/Conservative Leaning, yet touts an unbiased portrayal of the news.
    Should the networks and Local Broadcasters be required to show a disclaimer that the events they report are not objective and may be biased towards a political or social agenda?

Too many people take what they see and hear on mainstream media as fact and have little interest or ability to discern actual facts from Spin.

The media has become infotainment replacing an objective presentation of the news, lively but fair debates and full disclosure

Example: A certain local station which is 1000% conservative, has supported the Republican agenda & Bush administration from day one, has repeatedly lied and blurred the truth-They can get away with it because of "artistic liberties" and like it or not (not),
    its their right not to disclose their political & social
    agenda(s).

Truth is, if you listen/read/see a particular media outlet for a short while, you'll have no problem realizing if they're Republican sell-outs with no conscience or liberal media that asks you to think for yourself.

You are absolutely right.
    People accept what's on TV as the "gospel truth." Its analagous to "if its in print, it must be true."

Most people believe GOSSIP without many or any doubts, so they'll belive lying broadcasters, talk show hosts and other "journalists"

Please: Google: "
    Fox affiliate Florida Monsanto FCC truth"

There was a court decision which basically says that the media can LIE to the public and network or FCC rules aren't the same as "legal" rules which govern us "common citizens"

A Fox News affiliate in Florida did an investigation into Monsanto's use of Bovine growth hormone in cows to make them bigger & produce more milk. At first, the story was OK'd by Fox, but when Monsanto realized how bad the story was going to make them look, they asked Fox to change the story on their use of growth hormone in livestock.

The couple sued and won, but their lawsuit decision was overturned in a Florida Supreme or Appeals Court and Fox News has the right to lie.

The U.S. government & corporations would NEVER allow a "media disclosure law" to pass.

If you truly want the raw, un-biased truth,
    Please Google "Project Uncensored" which has an excellent website and books of the top 25 unreported news stories published annually.

The best media sources are the ones which tell you "don't just believe me/us, do your own research, think for yourself." Yes. The liberals.

The worst media sources expect you to sit back and believe that they're honest, good citizens who only want the best for the United States and its citizens while these infotainment sell-out liars and cowards live a better, richer life than the imbeciles who view them as celebrities

Yes. I'd love to hear Bill O' Reilly state before each sickening show,

"Folks, I'm a big-mouthed, lying coward republican tool, I'm dumb as hell and support the conservative agenda cus I get paid a lot of money-Oh and I'm not religious, in fact I'm a total pervert, people, now shaddup! I got a show to do, you stoopid sheep!!"
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

no.

i hope your dissertation does not utilize information gleaned from scientific polls resembling the one you posted here.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

I think TV news does the best it can to be objective, with the exception of Fox News. Good reporters just want good stories -- stories that get good play, no matter what medium they work in. Their personal opinions -- and of course they have them -- t ake a back seat to their ambition. And that's as it should be.

The obsession people have with Fox News is hilarious. Finally a channel pops up on the scene that leans right and the leftwing craps themselves over it.

If you don't think MSNBC is as far left as Fox is right, you're lying to yourself. CNN is left, they have an agenda, yet why aren't there any crocodile tears about them?

Did Dan Rather have an agenda?

edit-"finally" makes it appear as though I'm an avid fox fan. I watch the Political Grapevine with Brit Hume, and rarely watch O'Reilly (I flip back and forth to Olbermann).
    The point is there was a demand for a channel that leaned right seeing as though the others leaned left or were middle of the road.

I don't see the media as being conservative or liberal as much as uncaring and inept.

The rush for the "scoop" and "hot story" has led them to stay on the "good side" of whoever is going to give them that story. This is why they swallow the spoonfed crap of this administration. That's why I figure they'll continue to take the same kind of crap into future administrations.

I do think that reporting is getting better. But I also think that's a reaction to our societal leanings. Face it, if you were against Iraq and our administration 5 years ago, it was quite commonplace for someone to seriously accuse you of being a traitor. Today, most people do disapprove of our administration and war, so media organizations can be more critical and not worry about losing circulation.

Mass Media is a business. Businesses look at the bottom line. Period.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    The obsession people have with Fox News is hilarious. Finally a channel pops up on the scene that leans right and the leftwing craps themselves over it.

If you don't think MSNBC is as far left as Fox is right, you're lying to yourself. CNN is left, they have an agenda, yet why aren't there any crocodile tears about them?

Did Dan Rather have an agenda?

edit-"finally" makes it appear as though I'm an avid fox fan. I watch the Political Grapevine with Brit Hume, and rarely watch O'Reilly (I flip back and forth to Olbermann).
    The point is there was a demand for a channel that leaned right seeing as though the others leaned left or were middle of the road.
    could someone please demostrate cnn's, msnbc's or any other channel not called fox news' left leaning bias? sure there are people like olbermann, though his ilk, as an opinion journalist/talking head, are far out-numbered by conservative pundits.

but there's a huge difference between news companies that do a crappy job like most of them and companies that seem to purposefully misinform, like fox. no other outlet has had their blatant propaganda, slight-of-hand and downright lies documented more than fox news.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

CNN is left, they have an agenda. . .
    what's the agenda? proof? or another right-wing talking point?

cnn is a crappy news network, but you have no evidence to back up that statement.

Who decides what is biased? Who creates the standard? Is there any TV News program that has not, at one time or another, been accused of leaning one way or another?

The irony is how your dissertation on Bias in the News seems to be showing its own bias as being written by a Democrat wanting controls over right-leaning Fox. Have you considered that?

You may want to consider how you can remove any bias from your own research first and use what you learned in that effort to come up with a method of removing bias from the News.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    what's the agenda? proof? or another right-wing talking point?

cnn is a crappy news network, but you have no evidence to back up that statement.

Clinton News Network.

I'll be back shortly with an example of their agenda.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

OK, admittedly this looks more like a show promotion then pushing a global warming agenda.
    Last edited by FisherRd; October 26th, 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Clinton News Network.

please make sure its something more recent that almost 7 years ago. the press has long slobbered over the powerful (clinton, bush I, reagan et al). though i'm sure if you check out glenn beck transcripts you'll find some good examples of hippie bias.

either way, patiently waiting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_controversies

Be back to discuss. Some for, some against.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    The irony is how your dissertation on Bias in the News seems to be showing its own bias as being written by a Democrat wanting controls over right-leaning Fox.
    I looked back over this thread, and I have yet to see anyone make that assertion.

I voted YES, that the media should be held to a standard. But I don't think it should be a legal standard. It should be a societal standard of honesty. Unfortunately our political culture is so fractured that many times we won't even acknowledge objectivity when we see it.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Clinton News Network.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

OK, admittedly this looks more like a show promotion then pushing a global warming agenda.
    thats also matt drudge. not exactly known for his objectivity and has caught playing with and distorting facts.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    thats also matt drudge. not exactly known for his objectivity and has caught playing with and distorting facts.

That was the first source that came up.

I think the Jordan Eason examples are the most revealing. The special they did on the Iraqi Snipers is more anti-troop/anti-war bias playing on CNN. I don't mean it in a "they are traitors" context, just an anti-troop/war bias.
    The only time you see footage of the US Military killing an Insurgent or AQI is from a grainy video-cam attached to a jet. Yet CNN thought it was a wise idea to show multiple videos from Insurgent Propaganda sites of US Soldiers getting sniped. They made it an hour special. 1 hour of insurgent propaganda on a US based trusted news channel seems out of the realm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information