Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we have a "fat" tax?

Should we have a "fat" tax?

In a recent study, $8 of every $10 we spend on Health Care, come from preventable issues, the majority comes from the 2/3rds of people who are overweight/obese in this nation.

Should we have a tax based on % body fat to help subsidize our massive healthcare spending?

For example, men are given a 15%, women a 22% base and then we tax a person $250 for each % point over that number? (Parents of Obese kids will pay their tax)
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

In all fairness, yes, ...it's needed, it's the right thing to do and it is time. One out of seven people are overweight and that number is growing (no pun intended). Its a disgusting and shameful trend that eats up resources and needs to be curbed. Sorry if I offended anyone, that is not my intention.

1 out of 7?? Don't you mean 2 out of 3?

In reality, that number is closer to 1 in 2 since the FED still uses BMI as their main key not % BF.

To tell you how off BMI is, I'm 5' 11" about 205 with 16% BF, my BMI is about 28... which makes me overweight... I haven't found a person in 5 years call me overweight.

For me to be normal weight, I'd have to go down to 175lbs... which would put me at a 1.4% BF... which is BEYOND unhealthy.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

This "fat tax" would be just another government intrusion in people's personal lives. At what point did we lose the right to pull into a McDonalds or Dairy Queen. I am really getting tired of "people" telling me how to live my life. To paraphrase Patrick Henry; Give me a juicy quarter pounder or give me death!"

You lost that right the day that NYS passed community ratings which made it by law ILLEGAL to charge a fat ass more than a healthy person!

I'm all for eating a big mac! In fact I had 2 double stackers on Sunday... but that's once a week, maybe twice.

Why should I and the rest of the country suffer because of a few people's laziness and lack of self-respect/responsibility?

This isn't a tax on the food... it's on the person itself... eat all you want... but take some time and get off the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud B Boomer View Post
    This "fat tax" would be just another government intrusion in people's personal lives. At what point did we lose the right to pull into a McDonalds or Dairy Queen. I am really getting tired of "people" telling me how to live my life. To paraphrase Patrick Henry; Give me a juicy quarter pounder or give me death!"
    Agreed. Before we worry about fatties in general, we should take a hard look at fatties that are on guberment assistance. Start eroding ther rights first, and then inevitably move on to the rest of us.
    I don't want it to happen, but let's face it, it's going to sooner or later.

Beer drinkers, wine drinkers, liquor drinkers, beef eaters, seafood eaters, pop drinkers, etc...They're all going to be targets in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Why should I and the rest of the country suffer because of a few people's laziness and lack of self-respect/responsibility?

You just described a huge chunk of our welfare rolls.
    Personal responsibility isn't recognized by certain segments of our population.

I agree Fish... anything that has sugar in it, like pop and candy and high in fat (chips) shouldn't be part of food stamps... Food stamps should cover only things that "lived".

Meat, fruits and vegies, bread and milk. Maybe potatoes... what else do you NEED to live on?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I still liked my idea of "Peddle your way to health"... Mandatory gyms hooked to the power grid. You peddle and your benefit card has it's balance added to

Think of the health bene's. It's green!... Peddle power..

How about working health insurance like life insurance or auto insurance or homeowners insurance? You smoke? Add 75%. You're severely overweight? Add 30%. Alcoholic, add 20%. Drug Addict, add 20%.

I shouldn't be subsidizing these people that don't take care of themselves. I just got back from a vacation in Disney world. It was disgusting to see all of these people on scooters. Lard asses that are too fat to walk. I have no problem with someone that's injured or too old to walk, but too fat? I'm sure these scooters are covered under health insurace as well.

I'm in the same group as dougles. 6'1" 240, but i can easily run a 5k. I should be 185, but if i lost 55 lb, there'd be almost nothing left of me.

Then how about genetics? Maybe someone is in great shape but lots of their relatives died of cancers. So you could be active and in great health but they'll raise your rates anyway because of your DNA.

How about location risk? Someone is really healthy but they live in an Earthquake zone - jack up their rates. Or maybe violent crime is rising in your town? Jack up your rates. Are you downwind from a factory? - Jack up your rates.

If insurance companies start using risk models like that for everyone then we're all screwed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And once the data from wegmans/tops bonus cards are available to your insurance companies your screwed. Hmmmm... 3 packs of cigs...case of beer a week, what is all this candy, frosted flakes instead of (my fav) cherreo's...

Everyone dismisses slippery slope arguments (to include me at times), but this is one of those instances where there is no doubt the slope is greased lightning.

Ski? Snowboard? Skydive? White water raft? Beer league hockey? All risky...Basically you'd have to be a house mouse to avoid anything that an insurance company would deem dangerous or risky.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Ski? Snowboard? Skydive? White water raft? Beer league hockey? All risky...Basically you'd have to be a house mouse to avoid anything that an insurance company would deem dangerous or risky.
    but these activities aren't DOUBLING our HC costs... fat people are!

So, should you pay the same for health insurance as someone who is 600 lbs and smokes 2 packs a day?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information