Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 1 - Who will be the Assessor?

October 1 - Who will be the Assessor?

With the present Town Assessor's contract up today, what happens tomorrow? The TS cannot act in any way as the Assessor (temporaily or other). Maybe the existing Assessor will be a holdover until at least January and will be verbally abused like the former Comptroller and Town Engineer were until they quit.

Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    With the present Town Assessor's contract up today, what happens tomorrow? The TS cannot act in any way as the Assessor (temporaily or other). Maybe the existing Assessor will be a holdover until at least January and will be verbally abused like the former Comptroller and Town Engineer were until they quit.
    I hope that Harry retires so he can keep his health benefits, and stick it to the TS at the same time.
    Harry, take care of yourself and don't beleive a word that comes out of a politicians mouth, any of them. Retire and don't look back.

Good luck.

I agree that Harry should retire or he WILL risk losing his health benefits, as the other posters stated. He should have filed for retirement when Mohan first stated that he would not reappoint him, if he hasn't, his benefits are in jepordy!

Last night I attended part of the TB meeting. They were discussing an appraisal that must be made on the Mennoite Church and WAO asked what was the status of the Town Assessor was. The TS stated the present Assessor would be a "holdover" and will be paid. Once again there is chaos around the management of this Town. The TS stated he would not reappoint the present Assessor, spent time and $$$ to have the position properly advertised and did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    Last night I attended part of the TB meeting. They were discussing an appraisal that must be made on the Mennoite Church and WAO asked what was the status of the Town Assessor was. The TS stated the present Assessor would be a "holdover" and will be paid. Once again there is chaos around the management of this Town. The TS stated he would not reappoint the present Assessor, spent time and $$$ to have the position properly advertised and did nothing.

My guess is, Satish will hold on to Williams until January, when he expects to have a Board which will vote for someone else. Supposedly, he has gotten resumes in response to the ads. The question is, whether the new Board members will go along with him. I hope not.

Hint for Mohan:

Have the resumes sent directly to the TS & watch your back.

William's options

If I were Harry Williams, I were beat feet to apply for the open position in Greece NY (recognize the town?). I would give Amherst the shortest notice I could get away with and then I would get the hell out of town. Satish can stew in his own juice.
    dono

More than likely HW will end up in Clarence. Closer proximinity, same contractor, pretty close to the same money and none of the BS he has to put up with the TS and Town Board

Quote Originally Posted by govtchecker
    I hope that Harry retires so he can keep his health benefits, and stick it to the TS at the same time.
    Harry, take care of yourself and don't beleive a word that comes out of a politicians mouth, any of them. Retire and don't look back.

Good luck.
    I agree. Harry Williams has an impossible job to begin with -- all assessors do as far as I can tell. But the chaos on the town board makes it that much worse. I hope he retires, keeps his benefits and, if he wants, farms himself as a consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I agree. Harry Williams has an impossible job to begin with -- all assessors do as far as I can tell. But the chaos on the town board makes it that much worse. I hope he retires, keeps his benefits and, if he wants, farms himself as a consultant.

WOW....Are we seeing an attitude change, Kathy? Keeps his benefits???

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    WOW....Are we seeing an attitude change, Kathy? Keeps his benefits???
    Ummm, my name's not Kathy..........but anyway........

Actually, I don't really know how his benefits work. Does he get lifetime medical? Can he cash out unusued sick days? Does his vacation accrue so that he can cash that out too?

Whatever the case, I see no reason for him to lose benefits that are contractually his. Pay and benefits cost taxpayers an arm and a leg, but the way to deal with that is to re-negotiate. No violating contractual agreements. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I always thought Harry Williams did a good job in a very tough business. If he gets pushed out, I hope he receives every benefit he is contractually due.

But I'd say that about all employees. What they get may be costing a fortune (or not, depending on you look at it), but it is still due them as part of their contracts.

Did I ever say otherwise? I hope not, because I can't imagine why I'd support violating a contract.

If he can, he should leave, and take all the benefits due to him. If he stays on, what is to gain? Working with Satish? Having his good name smeared? I don't think he is in any winning position. Mohan has the microphone, not Williams. The only side the folks of Amherst will hear is Mohans. This is not a comment on Williams and his character, it just seems like his only option.

By my calendar, it's after October 1th. Is the Amherst Assessor still Harry Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358
    By my calendar, it's after October 1th. Is the Amherst Assessor still Harry Williams?
    Tick tock, tick tock. I think Williams is still there because the board has no one to replace him.

I think he can move on to any number of other assessment jobs if he wants to. He's highly regarded in the assessment community. Maybe he could even land a private sector job making loads more money and benefits. That happens when you're in demand (or so I've heard. Not I'd know from personal experience, sadly.)

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Tick tock, tick tock. I think Williams is still there because the board has no one to replace him.

I think he can move on to any number of other assessment jobs if he wants to. He's highly regarded in the assessment community. Maybe he could even land a private sector job making loads more money and benefits. That happens when you're in demand (or so I've heard. Not I'd know from personal experience, sadly.)
    Hmmmm. Doesn't make sense to me.

Presumably Williams (Harry, not Barry of Brady Bunch and Sirius 7 fame! heheh) has had it up to here with Satish Mohan. Probably with good reason. He has essentially been told to take a hike by his boss.

There is widespread speculation that he is super duper at the assessment/appraisal game... And that other (supposedly better paying) jobs would be a gimme 'cuz he's so spendid in his field.

Yet he stays in his "old" job?!?!?!?

I assume I'm missing something here. What?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information