Thread: Markel's Thriftiness

Markel's Thriftiness

An interesting look into the filings of the Democratic Town Board candidates turns this up:

Swiatek: Spent $0
    Kaznowski: Spent $0
    Zydel: Filing not up yet
    Markel: $442.75

Cheektowaga Endorsed Democrats: Spent $3,920.62

So the Town Dems spent in excess of $1300 per Council candidate while Charlie spent $442. That means they spent nearly 3 to 1 what Charlie did. Now if Charlie gets on the Board and can reduce the costs of the Town in a similar way, we will see significant decreases in our taxes.

Good to see someone with some conservative values will be on our town board. Good luck Charlie! We will be out there voting for you in November!

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    An interesting look into the filings of the Democratic Town Board candidates turns this up:

So the Town Dems spent in excess of $1300 per Council candidate while Charlie spent $442. That means they spent nearly 3 to 1 what Charlie did. Now if Charlie gets on the Board and can reduce the costs of the Town in a similar way, we will see significant decreases in our taxes.

Good to see someone with some conservative values will be on our town board. Good luck Charlie! We will be out there voting for you in November!
    I did alot of walking and talking with the taxpayers. I thought that was important!

'Apples you're really not comparing apples to apples. My guess is that the Cheek Dems spent FAR more than the $4k on the primary... I got two mailings, then there were all the signs and I even heard a radio spot.

My guess is that Charlie will have spent more as well, when all is said and done.

As you know, I predicted Kaznowski to lose... great credentials, good resume but a lousy candidate. Nothing beats wearing down the shoe leather in a town election. Charlie understood that well, while Stan was nowhere to be found.

So the Town Dems spent in excess of $1300 per Council candidate
    The Cheektowaga Endorsed Democrats included Town Clerk, Highway Superintendent, Judge and Supervisor. That would make it $560 per candidate.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMaryvale
    'Apples you're really not comparing apples to apples. My guess is that the Cheek Dems spent FAR more than the $4k on the primary... I got two mailings, then there were all the signs and I even heard a radio spot.

My guess is that Charlie will have spent more as well, when all is said and done.

As you know, I predicted Kaznowski to lose... great credentials, good resume but a lousy candidate. Nothing beats wearing down the shoe leather in a town election. Charlie understood that well, while Stan was nowhere to be found.
    You are right about the spending. These number are just from the start palm cards, signs and items like that. Were it gets expensive is the mailings. These didn't show up on the accts yet.

I believe the palm cards and signs were paid for earlier in the election cycle. The $4,000 they spent were for two mailings in the week leading up to the primary, according to the 10-day Post-Primary filing.

One Emerald, I respectfully disagree with you on the expenses. Kolbert and the Dems don't need to spend a penny on him. He is unopposed. As is Supervisor Holtz. There wasn't a highway sup primary either.

I am sure they spent about $200 for a mailing for Alice on the IP line, but lets face it, they spent almost all that money on the 3 council candidates, as they were the only people with a major party primary.

Alex,
    I was only comparing the last 10 days of the primary when I wrote about the thriftiness. I would have to look at all the filings from July to now but you really see where money goes in the last few weeks of a campaign. I should have made it clearer.

'Apples this is the stupidest and most inane argument that you are making, bad even by Republican standards.

I mean, who cares who spent how much and how? If someone spends $500 and wins they're a genius. and if someone spends $500 and gets whupped, they are still a genius?

If Charlie Markel won on a low budget campaign, good for him, but how that will translate into his decision making abilities as a councilman is utter nonsense.

Once again.. a Dem hater, a Max basher, throwing hail marys with stupid drivel.

How was I bashing Max or the Dems? I was saying that Charlie knows what it takes to run an effective campaign, effective businesses while keeping the overhead costs in mind.

Hopefully he will be able to steer his future colleagues on the board towards the light of fiscal responsibility.

Just simply pointing out that overspending can lead to ones demise as much as underspending...

And with all due respect 'Apples, I understand the point you were trying to drive home... that Markel campaigned using a lean mean ship, while the endorsed dems were wanton and wasteful... ergo... Markel will be a lean mean councilman.

Rather than pulling out one reporting cycle to make the argument, perhaps examining an annual report of both treasuries, if such a thing exists, to cover all of 2007 would be a better way to do this. If the endorsed dems spent, let's say, 30K, the your argument holds merit.

Again, my guess is that the endorsed dems spent at least $10K... 2 mailings and lawn signs alone would eat that up in a hurry.

I will look into the filings and get back to you. You are right, I should have used a larger range, but generally candidates and parties dont put expenses on their filings until after an election.

A quick look at the filings shows that over $11,000 was spent on lawn signs, flags, palm cards and office expenses from June to last Friday. I didnt count non-campaign related expenses.

Now some will argue that Holtz, Wegner and Kolbert are on the lawn signs too, but they didnt have primaries and Holtz and Kolbert do not have any opposition at all so their names are just their for support.

Also wondering why County legislator Tom Mazur hasn't filed anything with the Board of Elections. Debbie Kubiak and John Dudziak set up their accounts. Dudziak filed his stuff. He spent $1400 on signs and palm cards. Kubiak hasn't filed her documents. She likely didn't spend anything on her campaign. But surely Tom has raised money and spent money. There isn't anything on the website at all and it has been a state law for two years now and he hasn't filed once? Something seems odd here. Especially since every other legislator and candidate has filed something....

Thread Information