Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower.... another mismanaged event

Tower.... another mismanaged event

From the Buffalo News

Town won’t sue the state over tower
    By Thomas J. Dolan NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 10/02/07 7:12 AM

SAVE EMAIL PRINT POPULAR Digg it del.icio.us + Larger Font Google Yahoo - Smaller Font
    Cheektowaga officials may not admire the soaring new 250-foot-high communications tower that popped up in August next to a state highway garage on Broadway, but Monday they turned down a proposal to sue the state, saying it wouldn’t be worth the cost.

As structures go, the tower may be the tallest thing in town — visible from Town Hall, nearly a mile to the west. And residents on Fawn Court showed up for Monday’s meeting with large color photographs of the tower taken from their front windows.

“Before [state officials] stuck a shovel in the dirt we should have had somebody there asking them what they’re doing,” said Jane Wiercioch, president of the Depew/Cheektowaga Taxpayers Association.

Council Member Thomas M. Johnson Jr. offered a motion calling for the town to sue the state for failing to follow “appropriate procedures” in approving the tower project.

But Supervisor James J. Jankowiak told critics he wasn’t willing to spend an estimated $20,000 or more to fight the state. The town has “more important” ways to spend the money, he said.

“We’ve been through this. We’ve talked to the people over and over again at the state,” Jankowiak said. He said town officials held a fourhour meeting with the state Office for Technology, but state officials will not budge.

“Did they dot all their i’s and cross all their t’s? No,” Jankowiak said.

“Are they going to take the tower down? No,” he continued, adding, “Do we spend thousands of dollars on a lawsuit and court time? No. We have other, more important things to do with the money. That’s my feeling.”

Johnson’s motion failed to draw a second. He issued a statement following the meeting saying he “accepts regretfully the board’s will in this issue.”

He called his opposition to the tower a “matter of principle and precedent” and said the town should not be “scared off by a state agency.”

Johnson also sent a letter last week appealing to Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer to intercede on Cheektowaga’s behalf and to request the Office for Technology to conduct an environmental review of the project.

The letter also noted that the town’s consultant, Richard Comi, believes the tower, at 111 Indian Road, does not have to be located where it is and does not have to be 250 feet tall.

Construction of the tower began on a Friday afternoon in August, and the state’s contractor, M/A-Com Inc., had much of the job completed three days later, when town officials issued a stop-work order.

Jankowiak said he first noticed the tower when he was returning home from a visit to an ice cream shop.

Critics also say the strobe light on the tower is “quite obtrusive.”

But Jankowiak said, “The real fight falls on the County of Erie and the state. . . . It’s a state program, not a county program or a town program.”

My comments:

Fellow residents of Cheektowaga.... be prepared for other towers and structures to be built around town without any approval or warning whatsoever. The Town Board's inability to do anything on behalf of its citizens is disturbing. At least Tom Johnson had some balls to say something.

And look out our great Supervisor Jankowiak's statement! What a joke he is. Thank God he is gone Jan. 1st. Hopefully Mary Holtz does a better job. How can you say in one sentence that the fight falls on Erie County and the state and then say it's a state program, not a county or town program? Maybe the Town should have done its job. Over a three-day period no town inspectors, or any of the multitude of town employees saw a 250-foot tower being built? Come on people wake up!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Fellow residents of Cheektowaga.... be prepared for other towers and structures to be built around town without any approval or warning whatsoever. The Town Board's inability to do anything on behalf of its citizens is disturbing. At least Tom Johnson had some balls to say something.
    Because of that tower on indian I can't have my shades/curtains up on our second floor. The dogs stare out the window and bark at the light on top of the tower. I dont know how the hell they even knew it was there in the first place. It's not like the read the paper or anything.

Thumbs down

??????
    Last edited by SabreTooth; October 2nd, 2007 at 01:32 PM.

Thumbs down

Let's not be stupid!
    Last edited by SabreTooth; October 2nd, 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth
    "Construction of the tower began on a Friday afternoon in August, and the state’s contractor, M/A-Com Inc., had much of the job completed three days later, when town officials issued a stop-work order.

Jankowiak said he first noticed the tower when he was returning home from a visit to an ice cream shop. "
    Someone should check into people on the payroll for the contractor, M/A-Com Inc. Rumor has it that one of Tokacz's relatives is an employee there. Did anyone else hear the same thing? If that is true, then Jankowiak would've certainly known the tower was being put up. Sounds like another kick-back scenario like when Jankowiak's son worked for Johnson Controls who put up the solar lights.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Can I sue the state in behalf of my dogs and the aggravation of hearing them bark at the tower because of the safety light on top?

sue them for depreciation of your housing value!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    sue them for depreciation of your housing value!
    Oh so I can remove the over- assessment in the first place? My view is now ruined of woods and nature by a 250 foot tower with communcation radar dishes and a flashing billion watt safety light.

It was like a few days of what the hell is wrong with the dogs. Just staring out the window and barking. I thought the squirrils were teasing them but it was the strobe on the tower. OR i wonder if it's some high pitched wavelength they are hearing instead. How do I know they are not pumping microwaves threw my house seeing the tower is in viewing distance down the road?

We should just cut it down!

Oh I forgot, the tower is there to make us safer through better communication systems.... How long until this fails and turns into a 250-foot rusty "tree"?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We should just cut it down!

Oh I forgot, the tower is there to make us safer through better communication systems.... How long until this fails and turns into a 250-foot rusty "tree"?
    I will go take a few more photo's. They added a lot of accessories to the tower compared to when it first went up.

wireless communication tower

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Because of that tower on indian I can't have my shades/curtains up on our second floor. The dogs stare out the window and bark at the light on top of the tower. I dont know how the hell they even knew it was there in the first place. It's not like the read the paper or anything.
    Sometimes I ask myself why I read and participate in this message board, and the reply is because I enjoy the comedy more than anything else.

The above comment raises the bar for the stupidest thing I have EVER read here.

Oh the horror of it all!!!! The dogs are baying at the blinking light at some tower off in the distance. How tragic! How terrible!

In today's day and age, everyone wants reliable cell phone service, seamless 911 access, wifi internet, wireless web browsers and IM / text messaging on their phones. How do you think this is going to happen, by some moonbeam magically teleporting through space?

Nobody likes communications towers, but I can't imagine a less obtrusive location than between a capped landfill and a stone quarry in the most desolate part of town. You people here need to get lives rather than just bitch all the time... And this Jane Wiercioch (yes now I got the spelling) is a real piece of work I tell ya. She sure as hell doesn't speak for me!

I think we should blame this whole tower issue on FRANK MAX. 'Apples grab that rock!

no one blamed Frank Max. Apparently you think everything reverts back to Frank for some reason in this town....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In today's day and age, everyone wants reliable cell phone service, seamless 911 access, wifi internet, wireless web browsers and IM / text messaging on their phones. How do you think this is going to happen, by some moonbeam magically teleporting through space?
    I don't have a cell phone, 911 works just fine, I don't have wifi internet or wireless web browsers or IM/Text messaging on a phone. I'm a fiber optic type of guy not wireless.

I'm just telling you my dogs bark at that safety light. I'm not asking them to remove it but I'm surprized they didn't ask the town before putting it up.

And look out our great Supervisor Jankowiak's statement! What a joke he is. Thank God he is gone Jan. 1st. Hopefully Mary Holtz does a better job. How can you say in one sentence that the fight falls on Erie County and the state!
    Jankowiak is not only going to be gone as our Supervisor but he is moving to Elma. What does that tell you?

Jankowiak is realistic. He knows that suing will accomplish nothing.

Johnson may also be realistic; I'm sure he also knows that suing the State will accomplish nothing.

However, Johnson has no problem using the Town's money to sue...because the effort may win him a few votes, as a "for the people" type guy.

And some of you people are really naive enough to fall for this?? It's no wonder the same idiot politicians get voted in time and time again - they simply know how to play to the lowest common denominator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information