Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spitzer Firm on Immigrants Driver's Licenses

Spitzer Firm on Immigrants Driver's Licenses

Gov. Eliot Spitzer, in an ardent defense of his plan to license immigrant drivers, said Monday he will "not be scared off" by the "rhetoric of the far right that want to demagogue the issue."

His impassioned pitch came before a friendly crowd of 300 party supporters at the reorganization meeting of the state Democratic committee at the Garden City Hotel.

Spitzer's appearance was marked by one icy moment when, after his speech, he passed by Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, the next speaker, without speaking to him or shaking hands. Cuomo, who did a report that led to the disciplining of Spitzer aides in the "Choppergate" scandal, later said he did not view it as a snub.

Some local Democratic officials who attended the event, and others reached later, warned that Spitzer's push for licensing may create an unnecessary weapon in local Republican campaigns.

Shortly after Spitzer's speech, Joseph Mondello, Nassau and state Republican chairman, swung away, lambasting Spitzer's plan for compromising homeland security.

"It is deplorable that the governor is so willing to compromise the security of the millions of New Yorkers just so he can engage in this misguided pandering in pursuit of votes," Mondello said.

In his speech, however, Spitzer criticized those who have the "temerity" to invoke the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. "I say, 'Shame on them.'"

Spitzer also defended the proposal to allow immigrants to obtain licenses as a way to lower insurance costs, increase public safety and cut down on those who now drive without licenses or insurance.

"We have put in place a policy that makes sense," he said. "It's a policy that says if you can prove who you are with a foreign passport and people verify that with multiple other identifiers ... then we will give you a driver's license."

However, Richard Schaffer, Suffolk Democratic chairman, worried that Republicans will use the licensing issue to tar Democrats in all local races. "I wish the governor would have consulted with some of the suburban counties that he is impacting with this licensing proposal," he said.

But Jay Jacobs, Nassau Democratic chairman, downplayed the issue's impact on local races, saying it is a state issue, not a local one. "It may be an issue in 2008, but not this year," he said.

In Suffolk, Legis. Jack Eddington (D-Medford) and Democratic legislative candidate Brian Beedenbender have already come out against Spitzer's plan and are circulating petitions against it.

The Suffolk Legislature's presiding officer, William Lindsay (D-Holbrook), called Spitzer's plan "troubling," saying, "I don't think he thought it out all the way."

Copyright © 2007, Newsday Inc.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A one term wonder without any of the "wonder"

You would think someone with a law degree would know the meaning of illegal in the first place.

Maybe this is another one of Spitzer's great economic development plans. People are leaving this state at record numbers and maybe Spitz thinks the only way to bridge the gap is start letting in illegals. That way we can count them as part of the census, show that we aren't losing as many people as Michigan and Ohio and tout those numbers next election.

Dis he get a law degree?

Just what can't our Governor Eliot Spitzer understand about the word Illegal?

Make me wonder who really ran the New York State Attorneys General Office when he was in charge.

If a person is in New York State illegally they should be deported or jailed.
    They should not be eligible for any New York State benefits at all.

If any other State wants to accept the burden of these these illegals. They are welcome to take them in.

Do you wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    A one term wonder without any of the "wonder"
    This guy is a real piece. At this pace he'll be "wondering" where he went wrong.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What was his saying about day one?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    What was his saying about day one?
    He said everything was going to change. Unfortunately, he never actually said WHEN day one is.

Standfast.

It only makes since if the north american union merger is right around the corner where mexico ,canada and the USA will eventually have open borders.

It doesn't make sense if you look at it any other way.

Very subtly Spitzer get's it started in nys

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth
    It only makes since if the north american union merger is right around the corner where mexico ,canada and the USA will eventually have open borders.

It doesn't make sense if you look at it any other way.

Very subtly Spitzer get's it started in nys
    Dude, you need to layoff the peyote.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Dude, you need to layoff the peyote.
    Peyote brings truth.

Just ask 'Jose' Chavez y Chavez.

Regulators

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Peyote brings truth.

Just ask 'Jose' Chavez y Chavez.
    Next time I'm in New Mexico, I'll talk to Billy the Kid to see how Senor Chavez y Chavez is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Next time I'm in New Mexico, I'll talk to Billy the Kid to see how Senor Chavez y Chavez is doing.
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    Just what can't our Governor Eliot Spitzer understand about the word Illegal?

Make me wonder who really ran the New York State Attorneys General Office when he was in charge.

If a person is in New York State illegally they should be deported or jailed.
    They should not be eligible for any New York State benefits at all.

If any other State wants to accept the burden of these these illegals. They are welcome to take them in.

First of all, Immigration VIOLATIONS are just that...violations, not crimes. It is not a criminal offense to be in this country illegally. Congress does this so they can deny due process to the alien. If it were a crime to be in this country 'illegally,' then it would trigger constitutional protections. By keeping violations of the Immigration code non-criminal offenses, the Federal government can deport people faster and with less involvement from criminal courts.

Second of all, its not the job of New York, or any state, to enforce federal laws! Thats the federal government's job, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to be specific.

What Spitzer is proposing addresses a specific problem that exists in New York. That problem is illegal aliens driving without a license and/or insurance. If you get into an accident with someone who doesnt have insurance, you lose! rather your insurance company loses and everyone pays higher premiums as a result.

Eliot Spitzer did not create this problem, he is only trying to deal with it, and I think that is lost in this debate because the 'illegal' immigration debate is so politically charged.

Do you honestly think that illegal aliens are going to go to a government agency (DMV) and apply for a license? There is no way that will happen. They (illegals) want to be as far off the governments radar as possible. This will do absolutely nothing to stop illegals from driving and causing accidents.

Furthermore, they are not going to purchase insurance either. Can you imagine the premiums for an illegal alien? No way they can afford it.

Finally, how many people do you know that were in accidents and the person driving the other car was an ilelgal alien? I know of NO ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantico
    First of all, Immigration VIOLATIONS are just that...violations, not crimes. It is not a criminal offense to be in this country illegally. Congress does this so they can deny due process to the alien. If it were a crime to be in this country 'illegally,' then it would trigger constitutional protections. By keeping violations of the Immigration code non-criminal offenses, the Federal government can deport people faster and with less involvement from criminal courts.

Second of all, its not the job of New York, or any state, to enforce federal laws! Thats the federal government's job, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to be specific.

What Spitzer is proposing addresses a specific problem that exists in New York. That problem is illegal aliens driving without a license and/or insurance. If you get into an accident with someone who doesnt have insurance, you lose! rather your insurance company loses and everyone pays higher premiums as a result.

Eliot Spitzer did not create this problem, he is only trying to deal with it, and I think that is lost in this debate because the 'illegal' immigration debate is so politically charged.

Shut the ? up you wet back loving Sob.If some wet back bastard hits me and doesent have insurance,I will kick his taco bending ass all the way back to the boarder. You want to see charged I will show you charged.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information