Thread: Parents vs Teachers..

Parents vs Teachers..

Why in Buffalo is it parents vs teachers? It seems like so many teachers are so jaded with dealing with difficult parents then the ones who want to work with the school get treated the same way as the apathetic parents.

I keep reading in the paper about this parent vs teacher bs. I haven't been to any school board meetings, i really should go though. I just kind of go along and do what's best for my children.

And then everyone is anti the school board. The teachers are mad because the school board won't give into their feelings of entitlement 100% of the time, but still do about 50% of the time. The parents are frustrated because the schools are failing.

Williams is right about it being the states fault. The whole structure needs to be fixed. We are treating teachers like line workers in a manufacturing plant. The thing is the teachers are dealing with people not plastic, metal or whatever parts.

And the over stuffed classrooms are a bs argument. The 1st grade classroom at Notre Dame in south Buffalo has 30 children in the class, and the kids are all doing ok and the classroom doesn't have the behavioral problems you see in public school. Yes they have kids who have adhd, aspergers, etc in the school too, not sure about the class, but the school has kids with the same issues you find kids with in public. So any excuse you throw at like that, i can throw an answer back.

It all has to do with the way the public schools are. There is no order, expectations aren't clear, and they don't try enought to get the parents involved. Kids are expected to be quiet in the halls, they are expected to walk in a STRAIGHT line and walk into school in a straight line. The kids get in line with their class outside or in the gym before they start school.

I am sorry about this rant. But they pay all these people with masters and doctorates to figure out how to run the schools officiant and in a cost effiecent way. Just ask me, lmao! I could have a cheap special education program that would make them beg for more of my ideas. Why hasn't it occured to anyone to use college students as interns to help with behavioral plans, interventions, etc. I'm sorry but screw the teachers unions if they have anything to say about it. I support their right to bargain and for the city to honor the contracts, but that's where it stops.

Also get the kids moving more and outside more. Again, hire interns from college to plan things outside.

My rant is done..
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I could have a cheap special education program that would make them beg for more of my ideas.
    Why don't you start a charter school?

Or go back to college to get your teaching degree?
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

I don't think it is parents v teachers as much as parents v teachers UNION. At least that is how I see, I know a lot of GREAT teachers in the BPS both personally and those who have taught my kids. My problem is with Rumore & the union

Quote Originally Posted by hyz View Post
    My problem is with Rumore & the union
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
    Why don't you start a charter school?

Or go back to college to get your teaching degree?
    I don't have the patients to teach. I could only do education on a research based level, I could never deal with the crap a teacher does without getting into trouble. I don't mean to sound like I have a disrespect for teachers, because I don't. I just think that the whole system is efed and it needs to start with changes at the state level.

I would start a charter school, but nobody would take a stay at home mom whose work experience is healthcare and customer service serious. It also doesn't help that I don't have a college degree. Plus charter schools aren't nessacarily a solution because they too have to deal with the system.

I will tell you were I would start with changes and that is in the cafeteria. No Junk food should be served at all and vending machines should not offer pop or any other sugary beverage. Jamie Olvier would come in and work his magic. Then I would move onto how much movement the children get during the day. It's pretty sad that kids in Buffalo get gym once every six school days and recess is extinct. Again this isn't the teachers fault, but they should be pushing for these changes. So should we parents though.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by hyz View Post
    I don't think it is parents v teachers as much as parents v teachers UNION. At least that is how I see, I know a lot of GREAT teachers in the BPS both personally and those who have taught my kids. My problem is with Rumore & the union
    There are a lot of great teachers and the union is but isn't the problem. Some ways it is, I think they need to get away from tenures but the teachers deserve job security in other ways. I mean don't forget there was a time when a women teacher would get fired for putting make up on and for being seen in public with a man, of course now we pay for their boob jobs. So we have to find some middle ground to those two extremes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin..._b_794644.html

this is interesting, Finland has one of the best education systems in the world right now, 98% of their teachers are unionized.

What I find interesting about finland is that their students don't start school until 7 and go until they are 16. After 16 they either go onto a vocational program or a college prep program, and in some cases both.

http://www.hel.fi/hki/opev/en/Educat...ucation+system

And the private schools (ie religious) schools don't have tuition. So basically every school is free.

I talked with some people who have been to Finland, they say things are pretty good there. They talk about how schools that struggle get more resources. However, Finland is a bit different too. More homogeneous, as well as just recent agrarian converts. These people were poor and they just left the farm, they don't want to go back. So they are working hard to improve their standard of living and level of education.

Now Hoyt is calling for a state takeover of the BPS system.

Really, .....Finances, Spending, Parks, the Zoo, and now schools.

Can somebody remind me what we pay all these people for..honestly!

All along we had it wrong,, we shouldn't have been talking about creating a greater regional Buffalo.. we should be talking about dissolving Buffalo..

First, Finland has a tiny minority and immigrant population.

Second, maybe if those parents actually paid for their OWN schools they'd have a little bit of credibility!

FTR, the COB spends more per child on education that Finland does...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    First, Finland has a tiny minority and immigrant population.

Second, maybe if those parents actually paid for their OWN schools they'd have a little bit of credibility!

FTR, the COB spends more per child on education that Finland does...
    The last part is a very significant statement.

it's not about how much money is spent per child, it's about how the money is spent. Many teachers buy supplies for their classes in part out of pocket.

Example on how schools can save money, except for special programs, all schools should be neighborhoods schools. Another argument for neighborhood schools is that when there is a neighborhood school it often times makes a neighborhood better because the whole community ends up in the long run taking an interest in the school to some degree. Schools save money on busing. I know the whole desegragation comes to mind but seriously it's not 1970, the neighborhoods are becoming more intergrated everyday and over all the city has mostly black kids so obviously they aren't all in one neighborhood.

The whole system is a waste of money in one way or another.

And James Williams is an idiot for saying the system isn't meant to educate black males. It isn't meant to educate anyone but a certain kind of student. And Buffalo is more ridiculous than others. Limited vocational programs and few programs that help kids with particular needs. We aren't very progressive at all and are just wasting money. It doesn't have to cost 10 grand or whatever per student if they listened to me. lmao

Thread Information