Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Consolidate Hamburg Fire Co.'s

Time to Consolidate Hamburg Fire Co.'s

The Town of Hamburg Fire Companies have requested nearly 2.5 MILLION for their 2008 budgets. This does not include past bonds that were bought to build their fire houses (club houses) Let us remember that they are PRIVATE COMPANIES! Why does the Town Board just take their requested budgets and not put out for BIDS as they do for other Town projects? Why not combine all the companies into ONE for the Town and sell off ALL of the Duplicate frie trucks, The Chief's personal take home/work vehicles, etc.? They could also sell most of the fire houses and put the property back on the tax rolls. The fire departments have been pushing for new members for years, they do not have enough men to man the vehicles and have to depend on Rural Metro to answer first aid calls. TIME FOR CONSOLDATION
    This town has 9 heavy rescue trucks when the ENTIRE city of Buffalo has only one! We pay for three times as many fire trucks as the City of Buffalo has. Every Fire house has a bar with inexpensive drinks, a hall that they rent to make money, and a gym to work out in on the DAY AFTER!

Lets request bids for the Fire and First aid service and award the contract to ONE FIRE COMPANY to handle all of the Town! Consolidate the rest. Sell off the excess! This Town is SOOOO far behind the rest of the world because the fire companies hold votes and the Town Board does not have the guts to make tough decisions that will truly reduce taxes. Maybe they could use the money saved to buy more lake front property!

I disagree. We should keep the firehouses just the way they are with only one exception. Their needs to be a mandatory rotation and availability for the Paramedics in the firehouses. I can't remember the last time I saw a local ambulance respond to a call in Hamburg. They are all Rural Metro ambulances. Why is the town and State giving money to train and operate Paramedic squads when they don't respond. Hamburg is waisting thousands of dollars on a Rural Metro contract when we are also paying for the volunteers to do it. It's time to take a stand and tell the volunteer Paramedics to put up or shut up.

Well, I'm a Volunteer Firefighter in Hamburg, although not a paramedic. In fact, with the exception of Big Tree and Lake Shore, I don't think any of the Hamburg Fire Companies are paramedic level.

When an EMS call is dispatched in Hamburg, Rural/Metro is dispatched simultaneously for two reasons. The first being that the Fire Co.'s are short manpower. With EMS training requirements becoming more and more every year, the firefighters are less willing to spend the time to keep their training up. EMS is becoming much too time consuming to be a "hobby," which is why professional services such as Rural/Metro have picked up the slack. With the overcrowding in the emergency rooms. I don't have time to spend 2-3 hours the with a patient on my stretcher in a crowded ER because "there's no room at the inn."

The second reason for R/M is that they are Paramedic level, and emergencies such as Chest Pain, Trouble Breathing, Strokes, etc, require the higher level of care the most of the volunteers are unable to give.

That being said, I don't drive a SUV, hang out in the Fire Co. Bar, and don't feel I'm a hero or owed anything from my community. I do it because I enjoy it and feel everybody should give a little something back. I absolutely agree that there could be some more efficiency in the fire service, not only in Hamburg, but County wide. Been talked about for years, but the politicains don't do anything as the fire service is a huge voting block. But I also think Hamburg Fire Companies are not out of line with their budgets as individual Depts. Take a look at Amherst's FD budgets. A couple Million + departments up there (Yes, individual depts.). The have a private ambulance service taking their calls too and are not any busier than Hamburg Fire Companies.

I'm not really sure what you mean by put up or shut up. You can't take my SUV (I don't have one), and I don't really care about the bar. If you take the ambulance then I won't have to stand at ECMC for 2 hours, making a total of 3 hours away from my family (x 3-4 calls a day). But you still need me in case your house starts on fire or you get in an auto accident. In fact you still need me for EMS in case you stop breathing or your child suffers a blocked airway, beacuse by the time R/M gets there it will be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by EMS174
    Well, I'm a Volunteer Firefighter in Hamburg, although not a paramedic. In fact, with the exception of Big Tree and Lake Shore, I don't think any of the Hamburg Fire Companies are paramedic level.

When an EMS call is dispatched in Hamburg, Rural/Metro is dispatched simultaneously for two reasons. The first being that the Fire Co.'s are short manpower. With EMS training requirements becoming more and more every year, the firefighters are less willing to spend the time to keep their training up. EMS is becoming much too time consuming to be a "hobby," which is why professional services such as Rural/Metro have picked up the slack. With the overcrowding in the emergency rooms. I don't have time to spend 2-3 hours the with a patient on my stretcher in a crowded ER because "there's no room at the inn."

The second reason for R/M is that they are Paramedic level, and emergencies such as Chest Pain, Trouble Breathing, Strokes, etc, require the higher level of care the most of the volunteers are unable to give.

That being said, I don't drive a SUV, hang out in the Fire Co. Bar, and don't feel I'm a hero or owed anything from my community. I do it because I enjoy it and feel everybody should give a little something back. I absolutely agree that there could be some more efficiency in the fire service, not only in Hamburg, but County wide. Been talked about for years, but the politicains don't do anything as the fire service is a huge voting block. But I also think Hamburg Fire Companies are not out of line with their budgets as individual Depts. Take a look at Amherst's FD budgets. A couple Million + departments up there (Yes, individual depts.). The have a private ambulance service taking their calls too and are not any busier than Hamburg Fire Companies.

I'm not really sure what you mean by put up or shut up. You can't take my SUV (I don't have one), and I don't really care about the bar. If you take the ambulance then I won't have to stand at ECMC for 2 hours, making a total of 3 hours away from my family (x 3-4 calls a day). But you still need me in case your house starts on fire or you get in an auto accident. In fact you still need me for EMS in case you stop breathing or your child suffers a blocked airway, beacuse by the time R/M gets there it will be too late.

In the two Fire Co.'s you mentioned Rural Metro is not called till 8 minutes AFTER the call is received. EIGHT MINUTES when someone is in need of EMS service is a very long time! This is not service to the people of the Town of Hamburg! We need service and if the Fire Companies can not provide it than we should not hire them. The Fire Companies are non competitive bidding for jobs in the town! This must stop! CONSOLIDATE TO ONE COMPANY! Sell off most of the halls! Then there will be enough men to man the equipment!

Volunteer fire departments are given "Not-For-Profit" status, fyi.

Also, the reason for so much duplicate equipment has to do with the number of fire districts that are set-up based on population and other demographics. Also the fact that Hamburg is cut in half by railroad tracks means you need to have double the amount of gear.

Railroad tracks have nothing to do with the amount of gear fire companies need in a town!

I suppose we should just have people decide what portion of their taxes they want to pay for services.... say you don't want your taxes to go to fire service. Fine, when your house is on fire, the FD will show up and protect your neighbors houses (who pay the tax) and watch yours burn, maybe even roasting some marshmallows. Say you dont want to pay your sewer tax... Dont, but when your pipes break out by the main sewer line, dont call the town to fix it. You better get out there and dig up your lawn and repair or replace the line yourself.

You get what you pay for people. And who exactly is going to purchase a firehouse? There are how many properties for sale in Hamburg? I doubt anyone is going to buy these buildings and return the land to the tax rolls. Maybe you're dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Railroad tracks have nothing to do with the amount of gear fire companies need in a town!
    Yes, they do. If a train should be crossing a street or derails, the fire trucks cant respond to the other half of the town without lengthy delays.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV
    Yes, they do. If a train should be crossing a street or derails, the fire trucks cant respond to the other half of the town without lengthy delays.
    We have 8 fire companies with a total of 11 fire stations. Although the town is cut in half (more like 1/3) we have 3 roads dispersed fairly evenly (Amsdell, Camp and 179) that provide unrestricted crossing of these tracks. Now given this, do you think we could cut down to at least 4 fire companies to protect the town? 2 north, 2 south? Let Rural Metro handle ALL EMS calls. Your insurance covers the loss of your house and property. Insurance can't replace your life. How many fires does the town see a year let alone at the same time?

Of the main cut throughs in the town that are blocked by tracks are Bay view, Lakeview, Pleasant Rogers, Cloverbank and Lake Ave. Almost as many as are unrestricted.

I suppose we should just have people decide what portion of their taxes they want to pay for services.... say you don't want your taxes to go to fire service. Fine, when your house is on fire, the FD will show up and protect your neighbors houses (who pay the tax) and watch yours burn, maybe even roasting some marshmallows. Say you dont want to pay your sewer tax... Dont, but when your pipes break out by the main sewer line, dont call the town to fix it. You better get out there and dig up your lawn and repair or replace the line yourself.

You get what you pay for people. And who exactly is going to purchase a firehouse? There are how many properties for sale in Hamburg? I doubt anyone is going to buy these buildings and return the land to the tax rolls. Maybe you're dreaming?
    You must be a fireman! Same old threats that were made 50 years ago that got us into this $$$$ mess. Consolidate..... do away with all the duplication, fire chiefs, their SUV's, Crash truck in each fire house, Fire trucks that are left in the firehouse because there is not enough trained fireman, antique firetrucks stored in heated garages and only used for parades. Fire House on every other corner. Why should we pay taxes for something that is not used to its full potential, Consolidate and cut expenses.

Consolidation is fine if it is done properly. I just think the argument that the firestations would be returned to tax rolls is invalid. Few, if any, would buy a firehouse in the Town of Hamburg and I am sure it would be costly.

I am not a fireman. I have no stake in it. However, I do know that a ton of money was pumped into Newton Abbott being redone. So if they decide to consolidate that place, I would think that is an abuse of taxpayers money!

I agree that Chiefs should not have vehicles paid for. I do know that there are many fire departments in Cheektowaga. But I think that most people will be against consolidating fire companies due to the fear that an increased response time, could lead to more people dying of heart attacks, than being saved and more houses lost to fire damage due to more time given for fires to spread.

Just my opinion.

But I think that most people will be against consolidating fire companies due to the fear that an increased response time, could lead to more people dying of heart attacks, than being saved and more houses lost to fire damage due to more time given for fires to spread.

Just my opinion.
    Rural Metro goes to all cardiac calls from the get go, with the exception of the two fire companies that hold Rural Metro back for a specified number of minutes. They are already in the field manning their paramedic level ambulances all hours of the day. The volunteers need to get to their cars and drive to the station then wait for a crew and then respond. I would much rather have EMS be handled by Rural Metro than the volunteers if it is a life and death situation. I know awhile back the Town was looking at a municipal ambulance service. That was a bad idea because the cost would be carried by the taxpayers. Rural Metro is paid by the patient through insurance, the Spirit program or out of pocket. You use it you pay.

I had a neighbor have a heart attack. The first person to respond was a volunteer firefighter, who instead of going to the station and waiting for the fire truck, drove directly to the house and began CPR. Rural Metro and the Volunteer FD showed up within a minute of eachother.

I may be wrong here but this is how I understand things:

A. Rural Metro bills your insurance for the hospital ride to be reimbursed for the travel. Do the volunteer fire departments receive a similar reimbursement?

B. Would you suggest that the Town hire firemen similar to that of the City of Buffalo? In Buffalo, you have the BFD arrive for paradmedic related calls as well as Rural Metro.

C. Should Fire Departments not show up to a cardiac arrest call of someone in a car? Since it is considered a paramedic call Rural Metro should respond. What happens if the person crashed their car during the heart attack and needs to be extracated? Does Rural Metro then need to call the FD to come in and use the "Jaws of Life" to get to the guy? If the guy dies, the family could sue the Town and the fire company for negligence.

Listen, I am not for or against consolidating to save money, but I am against consolidation that results in law suits and costs taxpayers more in the long run than in the short term.

Don't forget that firemen, EMTs, etc vote in large numbers as well, so many local politicians may be afraid to consider any change to the way things currently are.

A.) Yes, thy do bill your insurance. Or for (I believe $25/yr) you can join their Spirit program and be covered for rides throughout that year.

B.)I did not say to get rid of the firemen. I simply think that our Primary EMS should be Rural Metro. Let the Vols back up Rural Metro. There are also police out there that are trained in first aid and have defibrillators in their cars.

C.) See B. Ambulances do not have rescue equipment

Ok. I am trying to understand your stance here exactly. You said we should make Rural Metro the primary ambulance and have the town fd's provide backup. so how exactly is this different than the current situation other than formally changing Rural Metro to the primary service? both sides will continue to arrive on the scene. I am failing to see how this changes anything.

I know that ambulances dont have the equpiment that fire trucks do. I was making a point that if you cut some of the services the volunteers provide, they will still arrive via a fire truck.

So should we pay the firefighters instead of having a shrinking volunteer population?

What are the stances of candidates Smardz, Gugliuzza, Best and Smith?

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information