Thread: Eliot Aide Yields on Emails

Eliot Aide Yields on Emails

September 14, 2007 -- In a sharp turnaround, a lawyer for an aide to Gov. Spitzer tarnished in Albany's dirty-tricks scandal said yesterday he won't contest a subpoena seeking months worth of e-mails. "I could not insist that he resist the subpoena," Terence Kindlon, lawyer for suspended aide Darren Dopp, said last night.

Earlier this week, Kindlon declared that Spitzer's $175,000-a-year communications director would fight the state Ethics Commission subpoena, arguing the order was overly broad.

"I had an instinctive protective reaction . . . that we should get a judge to interpret this, to tell us what to turn over," Kindlon said.

"But Darren thought about it and . . . said 'No, I insist I want to comply with this immediately. I have nothing to hide.'

"We're going to give them everything we have that they've asked for," Kindlon said.

The commission and the Albany County DA are investigating whether Dopp and other aides violated laws or ethics rules in gathering information on the travels of Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno.

Spitzer has said he didn't know what his aides were up to.

Dopp was suspended in July after Attorney General Andrew Cuomo released a report on the affair, determining Bruno did nothing wrong but that Dopp and another aide violated ethics rules.

NY Post

What is more mind boggling than how Cuomo could come out with a decision when he (and the IG) failed to interview all parties involved--is why people do not care about what is going on in their government.

Thread Information