Thread: More excellent press from the NY Times

More excellent press from the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/ny.../13vacant.html

September 13, 2007
    Vacant Houses, Scourge of a Beaten-Down Buffalo
    By KEN BELSON
    BUFFALO — In this city beaten down by decades of factory closings and residential exodus, the razing of thousands of vacant houses is being touted as a sign of progress.

Gangs, squatters and teenagers have been burning down hundreds of houses a year, straining the meager resources of the Police and Fire Departments. Some of the properties have been turned into crack dens and places to stash guns and drugs. A few have been booby-trapped or had their floors ripped out by scavengers looking for pipes they can sell to metal dealers.

The burned-out and boarded-up buildings, which are visible on nearly every street in east Buffalo, have deterred even the most pioneering investors from moving in.

So Mayor Byron W. Brown recently unveiled a $100 million five-year plan to rip down 5,000 houses, about half of all the vacant houses in the city, which ranks second only to St. Louis in the percentage of vacant properties per capita nationwide.

The best way to save Buffalo, he reasons, is to mow down the buildings on these properties — starting with the ones deemed the worst fire hazards or those near schools — and encourage church groups, entrepreneurs and neighbors to build homes in their place.

I saw this article yesterday and tried to keep quiet about it at work. Unfortunately some of my colleagues saw it and I had to do my usual Buffalo damage control and let them know that not all of Buffalo looks like that. I'm getting tired of the Times doing negative articles about Buffalo. The one about the Buffalo Drive-in closing certainly wasn't flattering either.

These types of articles elicit either mocking scorn or pity toward Buffalo among my fellow downstaters. Both of which I find frustrating!

It's really insane that the New York Times can publish these articles and photos without feeling hypocritical. They should take a ride through some of the blighted areas of New York City and take some pictures - but of course, that wouldn't be as much fun as Buffalo bashing.

I love New York City, but it has it's dumps too, as do all big cities.

In its defense, the NY Times feeds off Albany news, so apparently, Brown must have asked Albany for help. It is what it is.

Unregistered
    Just about every one reads the NY times in the Country, If not the world
    I received already a half dozen E-mails and phone calls from relatives & friends about that article that live from San Fran to Boston and down to Tampa.

I have personally experienced Buffalo's lack of vision as it relates to development projects. Perhaps it is good that a little light is shed on this part of the world as with time, it is the last of the Mohicans as it relates to progress. This town needs an enema!

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    It's really insane that the New York Times can publish these articles and photos without feeling hypocritical. They should take a ride through some of the blighted areas of New York City and take some pictures - but of course, that wouldn't be as much fun as Buffalo bashing.

I love New York City, but it has it's dumps too, as do all big cities.
    New York City has its poor and crappy areas but not nearly as high a rate as Buffalo does.

It wasn't rated second poorest city in the country for no reason....

This article is just the NYT spin on news that was already reported in the Buffalo News a couple weeks ago.

But given the NYT global readership, they should be focusing more on the political hot-shots we have in office such as Hilary Clinton and Spitzer and point out how their "leadership" has done nothing to improve New York State. Especially in Hilary's case, since she is attempting to run the whole country someday. They might be interested in how many broken promises she made to Buffalo when she ran for Senate.

What is wrong with boarded up houses. I still say give them to investors for free on the condition that they fix them up and own them for at least 10 years before selling them. Also the $20,000 per house to tear them down, give me that money and I will fix them up. I say, give me 10 houses and $100,000. I will employ people to help get the fixed up and save a whole street.

I still say the $20k per house cost is a huge scam and is just wasting tax payer money. Than again, I say waste away. Although I am sure some brother or nephew of a politician will get the contract and pocket a few million a year for doing nothing.

Anyone have any houses that they want to give me? I am also always looking for building materials as well.

Also really need some kitchen cabinets, if anyone has any they need removed.

I love Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    This article is just the NYT spin on news that was already reported in the Buffalo News a couple weeks ago.

But given the NYT global readership, they should be focusing more on the political hot-shots we have in office such as Hilary Clinton and Spitzer and point out how their "leadership" has done nothing to improve New York State. Especially in Hilary's case, since she is attempting to run the whole country someday. They might be interested in how many broken promises she made to Buffalo when she ran for Senate.
    Right on 300!

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles

good point....

Quote Originally Posted by seattletobuffalo
    What is wrong with boarded up houses. I still say give them to investors for free on the condition that they fix them up and own them for at least 10 years before selling them. Also the $20,000 per house to tear them down, give me that money and I will fix them up. I say, give me 10 houses and $100,000. I will employ people to help get the fixed up and save a whole street.

I still say the $20k per house cost is a huge scam and is just wasting tax payer money. Than again, I say waste away. Although I am sure some brother or nephew of a politician will get the contract and pocket a few million a year for doing nothing.

Anyone have any houses that they want to give me? I am also always looking for building materials as well.

I love Buffalo
    who is gonna move into those houses?

I love Buffalo

No you will not. People gobble up these properties for next to nothing or nothing at all then they become perfect role models as slum lords or decaying works of art.... Am&As building come to mind???

Oh, Mr. seconds has cabinets

Wanna Be Home Owner Or Certified Beggar

Anyone have any houses that they want to give me? I am also always looking for building materials as well. Also really need some kitchen cabinets, if anyone has any they need removed.

I love Buffalo
    GREAT..ANOTHER FREELOADER LOOKING FO A HANDOUT Just what Buffalo needs. IS THIS HOW THEY OPERATE IN SEATTLE?? How about spending some of those denaros and help keep the economy moving. Home depot, Lowes, 84 Lumber...plenty of retail outlets around here that would welcome your business......
    Oh and when you're done, stop by ..I'll give you the keys to my brand new BMW too!!

Thread Information