Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The liberal mind versus the conservative mind - who knew?

The liberal mind versus the conservative mind - who knew?

Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London found that self-described liberals have a larger anterior cingulate cortex--a gray matter of the brain associated with understanding complexity. Meanwhile, self-described conservatives are more likely to have a larger amygdala, an almond-shaped area that is associated with fear and anxiety.

Liberal vs. Conservative: Does the Difference Lie in the Brain?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What about the people in the middle? The ones sick and tired of the far liberal/far conservative *******s?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What about the people in the middle? The ones sick and tired of the far liberal/far conservative *******s?
    The study doesn't focus on the fringe - it focused on people self described as liberal or conservative.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The study doesn't focus on the fringe - it focused on people self described as liberal or conservative.

to classify yourself off the bat I would say the person already is too far gone either way

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London found that self-described liberals have a larger anterior cingulate cortex--a gray matter of the brain associated with understanding complexity. Meanwhile, self-described conservatives are more likely to have a larger amygdala, an almond-shaped area that is associated with fear and anxiety.

Liberal vs. Conservative: Does the Difference Lie in the Brain?
    Actually, is that surprising?

Self-proclaimed conservatives, especially social conservatives, tend to see things as either black or white and want to have very simplistic solutions for very complex questions. Self-proclaimed liberals tend to see issues in shades of gray. neither completely wrong nor completely right.

Many religious conservatives also like to look to some "authority", especially the Bible, that enables them to embrace absolutism, refuse compromise, and shirk responsibility for their moral decisions. Self proclaimed liberals view religious books as guides not as immutable laws. It makes them more willing to compromise, and because they don't hide behind "authority", they can't claim religion absolves them of moral responsibility. I think some classic examples of this occur in the criminal justice system where many self proclaimed conservatives press for mandatory sentences rather than allow judges to consider extenuating circumstances.

Only a real dick would say that Liberals are generally smarter, and better-educated than Conservatives.

Having said that - personally, I do think that Liberals are generally smarter, and better-educated than Conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Only a real dick would say that Liberals are generally smarter, and better-educated than Conservatives.

Having said that - personally, I do think that Liberals are generally smarter, and better-educated than Conservatives.
    I kinda agree... I think liberals make up the smartest othe smartest ( aka the academics) and the dumbest if the dumb.

Where you fit TR is still to be figured out.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    I kinda agree... I think liberals make up the smartest othe smartest ( aka the academics) and the dumbest if the dumb.

Hey, I graduated with a solid 2.8.

LOL! Funniest piece of garbage I have ever read in my life. I'll go ahead and call BS and wait for an actual double blind study to be done.

If liberals are so smart, why do they think that money for social programs is endless? Liberals are driving this country into bankruptcy.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post

Liberals tend to go to school longer and get jobs in education mostly because they can't cope with the rigors of "real life" outside of academia. They're nice and cozy up in their ivory towers, telling the rest of us working folk how to run our lives.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

Hey, I graduated with a solid 2.8.
    3.4... that must make me a liberal huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
    Liberals tend to go to school longer and get jobs in education mostly because they can't cope with the rigors of "real life" outside of academia. They're nice and cozy up in their ivory towers, telling the rest of us working folk how to run our lives.
    So you admit that liberals have made you their economic and social slaves. At least you recognize it, even though you can't do anything to change it.

I've actually often wondered if there's a correlation between intelligence and how religious people are.

I don't mean it as an insult - but, I'm betting that, generally speaking, the higher the IQ, the less devout people are in their religious views. Simply because super-smart people are, most likely, the type of who won't believe anything that can't be scientifically proven.

I've actually often wondered if there's a correlation between intelligence and how religious people are.

I don't mean it as an insult - but, I'm betting that, generally speaking, the higher the IQ, the less devout people are in their religious views. Simply because super-smart people are, most likely, the type of who won't believe anything that can't be scientifically proven.
    Well, I don't think you have to be extremely intelligent to simply refuse to believe in things for which there is no evidence. But I do think that those with lower intellectual capabilities are more easily fooled into believing things for which there is no evidence.

I agree... but two of the smartest people i've ever met use there intellegence to PROVE a God exsists. One's a Rocket Scientist for NASA in CO and the other is a Physiologist for a massive university.

But it makes sense, people who are smarter tend to want to see proof of things, but isn't faith about believing in what you can't see?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information