Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Regionalism?

Quote Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
    You can't dissolve the county gov't completely. Basically, reduce it to a tax collecting agency and it just disperses the funds to where ever the services ended up at town levels. If services end up at State level, they can figure out how to pay for them. 88% of their budget goes to the state anyhow, you telling me we can't get the 12% they do control down to 1%. I am not convinced that we can't find already existing entities on state, city, and town levels to take over everything the county provides and not disrupt service or add more tax burden to anyone. And we will at least save on highway so far that I have found.
    No. What I am saying is without Erie County, what does Sardinia care about the COB or Grand Island? Sardinia is 40 miles away from GI. Hell, what does Amherst care about Buffalo without Erie County?

In what universe do you live in where the residents of the various towns are going to allow for the county to simply collect taxes and spread the money around as its spent?

If I am reading you correctly, everyone in Erie County pays the same tax rate but then sends a bill for what they spend and the pool of money covers that. Not.gonna.happen.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    No. What I am saying is without Erie County, what does Sardinia care about the COB or Grand Island? Sardinia is 40 miles away from GI. Hell, what does Amherst care about Buffalo without Erie County?

In what universe do you live in where the residents of the various towns are going to allow for the county to simply collect taxes and spread the money around as its spent?

If I am reading you correctly, everyone in Erie County pays the same tax rate but then sends a bill for what they spend and the pool of money covers that. Not.gonna.happen.
    Maybe you are not following me. Right now, the county reimburses Towns for street plowing of county roads. Where ever something like this is efficient, lets do it. Parks, road maintenance, maybe police. I bet we can get that 12% of the Erie county's budget that they control at least cut in half. And we will save because town's provide cheaper road maintenance per mile than the county, I am sure the park maintenance is the same.
    Even if we got the 12% Erie county controls down to 1%, it only cuts out about .60 c per $1000 on property tax. Which if the agency that takes over the service does it for 50% less it saves .30 c per $1000 on property tax. The only real savings will be in service elimination. So we can sit here and fight about how regionalism will work or not, as Albany overspends every last dime of the 88% it mandates Erie county.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    This thread is silly.
    [LIST][*]
    BTW, I'm still waiting for that list of advantages that would arise from a city/county merger -- aside from diminishing the political power of African Americans and Hispanics, which is the unspoken reason for many to push "regionalism".
    I am sure you could find municipal/regional governments in the US and Canada that work more efficiently and effectively than what we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    I am sure you could find municipal/regional governments in the US and Canada that work more efficiently and effectively than what we have here.
    One small village in my town, Airmont. Took matters into their own hands when the town wanted $100,000 for plowing their streets.
    They put it out to bid and are paying $58,000 for this winter season.
    The residents were pleased.

Mayor Kay gave an update on the blizzard that hit our area on December 26th.
    He thanked Mr. Stoll for the excellent job they did.
    He noted that 3 extra trucks were put on to cover the Village due to the amount of snow and the intensity of the snowfall.
    Village roads were brined with salt product before the snow hit.
    We have also added a live answering service that picks up after 4 pm
    and over the weekend and is turned on in anticipation of a snow event. Additionally, when Village Hall opened on Tuesday, any complaints received a call by the staff to make sure their concern was addressed.
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

On dissolution:
    http://www.nyslocalgov.org/pdf/County_Dissolution.pdf
    ...Linda?

Tax Base sharing:
    http://www.nyslocalgov.org/pdf/Tax_Base_Sharing.pdf
    This is my universe

School District Consolidation:
    http://www.nyslocalgov.org/pdf/Schoo...her_States.pdf

Here is the complete report:
    http://www.nyslocalgov.org/
    Last edited by eleanor; April 1st, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information