Thread: Greenspace plan by Kindle: Gimmick or sincere?

Greenspace plan by Kindle: Gimmick or sincere?

I vote gimmick. I think Kindel is pretty desperate to get re-elected....

Green space plan called ‘gimmick’
    By Thomas J. Dolan NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 08/21/07 7:17 AM

A plan to float a $12 million bond to buy and preserve some of Amherst’s dwindling green space took some hits Monday as critics called it a knee-jerk reaction and an “election gimmick” to boost the political fortunes of its sponsor, Council Member William L. Kindel.

But it also had plenty of supporters, including the town’s conservation advisory committee and the Sierra Club.

In the end, a handful of speakers at Monday’s public meeting noted that the measure would require voters to pass a referendum on the November ballot in order to become law.

“People are smart enough to know whether it’s a good deal for them or not,” said Kindel as the nearly two hour public discussion ended.

Kindel, a veteran Republican town lawmaker running without his party’s backing, unveiled his bond proposal last month, calling for the town to use the bond proceeds to buy “open space,” while it is still available in north Amherst.

Kindel on Monday called for a 6 p.m. news conference and an “Intelligent Growth Rally” on the steps of Town Hall in an attempt to reach out to all “interested parties in the development of Amherst.”

This time, however, the purpose of the bond was described as “related to the ability of the Town of Amherst to redevelop older, existing areas and to focus on strategies such as transfer of development rights, incentive rezonings, etc.”

Kindel touted the rally, saying he hoped “everyone can support intelligent growth with the preservation of green space providing a proper balance.”

When nobody showed for the rally, Kindel seemed unfazed, explaining that he has borrowed ideas for his proposal from the Town of Clarence and elsewhere.

But that seemed to anger some of his opponents, including Amherst activist Colleen Bogdan, who complained that many of those invited were never asked before Kindel announced that they were invited to attend the rally.

“There’s no real plan here for open space preservation,” she complained during the public hearing. “There is no file for the public to review and comment on, yet public hearings are under way.”

Kindel the desperate

Of course it's a gimmick. It serves two purposes: it gives him newsprint and it rallies the tree huggers to his side. I understand he is in a real horse race in the primary. He fits in real well with the other Rep candidates.
    dono

Who are the developers/landowners that would benefit from Kindel's greenspace proposal?

Republican Contributors? Kindel Contributors? Both?

Talking Its better than no Plan

The same people who scream Amherst is overdeveloped attack a plan that will work.Shooting club could have been bought for 2million and converted to a driving range No Money-Muir Woods 1.3 million for 330 acres No Money.I could go on and on. Fact- the voters of Amherst would decide in a referendum.Bring on the Bulldozers!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer
    The same people who scream Amherst is overdeveloped attack a plan that will work.Shooting club could have been bought for 2million and converted to a driving range No Money-Muir Woods 1.3 million for 330 acres No Money.I could go on and on. Fact- the voters of Amherst would decide in a referendum.Bring on the Bulldozers!

So a perfect storm of political desperation and a public benefit?

Who cares if it is a gimmick or a sincere attempt to better the town? I would like more green space. I would like my plentiful tax dollars to be spent purchasing said green space.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito
    Who cares if it is a gimmick or a sincere attempt to better the town? I would like more green space. I would like my plentiful tax dollars to be spent purchasing said green space.
    Purchase your own damn greenspace then!! I can think of better ways to spend (bond) $12 million worth of taxpayer money!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    Purchase your own damn greenspace then!! I can think of better ways to spend (bond) $12 million worth of taxpayer money!
    The tax money is my own money. I believe (but you don't) that green space benefits the community. You believe (I can only suppose) that strip malls are the better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito
    The tax money is my own money. I believe (but you don't) that green space benefits the community. You believe (I can only suppose) that strip malls are the better deal.
    Don't tell me what I believe!!! Green space is wonderful if you can afford it. I don't want to bond $12 million dollars to purchase it! How about bonding $12 million to tear down the vacant strip malls & plant trees!! By the way, the tax money is not your own money, not 12 million of it!!

Whoa

I thought the master plan incorporated a plan for green space. If it doesn't just what did the town spend 400,000 for? If it provides for green spece then the TB and the planning committee have the power to maintain green space without buying it.
    dono

SOmeone needs to whatch closely to see where the $12 million goes!!!! WIll it once again be used to overpay for land development rights (to the Spoths ) or anyone else. Are there Kickbacks involved???? This is a very slippery slope. Once the money is bonded and in the Town's hands strnage things tend to happen!!!!!! How close will the Controller watch this one???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amherstfirst
    SOmeone needs to whatch closely to see where the $12 million goes!!!! WIll it once again be used to overpay for land development rights (to the Spoths ) or anyone else. Are there Kickbacks involved???? This is a very slippery slope. Once the money is bonded and in the Town's hands strnage things tend to happen!!!!!! How close will the Controller watch this one???!!!
    Depends if he is awake or not.

But really a plan with no details, no matter how great the idea is, is just wrong when used as an election year ploy.

Thread Information