Thread: Flea meds

Flea meds

Dr. Jim,
    I hope you are still around, I have a question about flea meds.

Last summer was horrible for flea infestation. I use Advantage on my dog and I don't think it's working effectively. Do you think fleas can become immune to it? I was thinking of switching to Frontline. What do you think?

<--- Bailey would appreciate your advice!
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Em---I used the prescription Revolution. We got infested terribly here when I brought in a 3 week old starving cat. She was half dead. One day I got 40 critters off her 7 ounces of body weight.
    My rugs furniture and bedding had to be treated, with Knockout. But the animals were relieved almost immediately.

But the fleas are gone.My two old chubby cats are flea free again. The kitten, too. And so am I.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post
    Dr. Jim,
    I hope you are still around, I have a question about flea meds.

Last summer was horrible for flea infestation. I use Advantage on my dog and I don't think it's working effectively. Do you think fleas can become immune to it? I was thinking of switching to Frontline. What do you think?

<--- Bailey would appreciate your advice!
    Hi OneEmerald,

Yes immunity happens to a certain extent, but more importantly you need to make sure that the medication you use is prescription. There are knock off brand name flea medications that are not manufactured either in the US as claimed or by the manufacturer as claimed. Products such as Hartz may even cause toxic reactions...there are numerous examples from reliable sources online that corroborate, besides my experience as a former ER vet.

There is a new flea control called comfortis, it has the most rapid knock down and is not a topical it is oral, it doesn't get ticks though, lasts for 30 days. As far as topical I like Vectra 3D and revolution. It is important you apply these products directly to the skin. Your veterinarian can guide you as to which product may be the best for you and your pet's needs.

I would treat the house and all pets in the household for the duration of the Spring and Summer and even into Fall.

Dr. Jim

Thread Information