Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amherst 4th of July- actual cost

Amherst 4th of July- actual cost

I received a reply email* from Susan Grelick giving me the rundown of the Amherst 4th of July event.

----- Forwarded message from "Grelick, Susan J." -----
    Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:01:48 -0400
    Subject: 4th of July fireworks

The total costs for the fireworks is around $50,000,
    here is how the costs breakdown:

The actual cost of the fireworks display is $18,996.

The total cost for the two (2) concerts before the fireworks display is: 2,050.

University at Buffalo facility fees:
    2003 totals:
    Logistics and Management: 1,000
    Security Officers: 3,370.71

Indigo Productions : Sound System
    2003 total: 3,800

UR' Bren Rentals: generator
    2003 total: 1,000

Portable Toilets:
    2003 totals: 1,184.70

GRAND TOTAL: $31,410.41

ADDITIONAL COSTS:

TOA Recreation Department Employees w/ additional Holiday Pay
    TOA Police Department Officers w/ Holiday Pay

------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps to clear the speculations of Amherst town spending way too much, a difference of $118,590 than what was originally rumored.

*the email was forwarded to the site admin for verification that the source and content is ligit.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WHy are they supplying portible toilets? Can they save that money and tell the people to go before the event?

------------------------------

I was joking

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    See how good nightowl was at getting us some facts to base our hear-say on?

Great job Owl. I knew we could count on you for the facts.

What does Amherst have, about 100,000 preople?

So we're talking about $0.32/person???

Next Topic, Please.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    50 cents seeing they said the complete expense was $50,000. there was TOA salaries not listed in the budget. Still peanuts though which is good.

...they said the complete expense was $50,000.

even less, GRAND TOTAL: $31,410.41

What does Amherst have, about 100,000 preople?

116,510 according to the 2000 US Census.

With that, it comes out to 27 cents per person.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This isn't about the fireworks cost, this is how one looks at hte cost of an event.

Nightowl says posted....

...they said the complete expense was $50,000.

even less, GRAND TOTAL: $31,410.41
    Night owl look at her email...

----- Forwarded message from "Grelick, Susan J." -----
    Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:01:48 -0400
    Subject: 4th of July fireworks

The total costs for the fireworks is around $50,000,
    here is how the costs breakdown:

I see around $50,000 not just $31,410.41

If you look at the bottom of the email she says:

ADDITIONAL COSTS:

TOA Recreation Department Employees w/ additional Holiday Pay
    TOA Police Department Officers w/ Holiday Pay

You count every penny going into an event. It's the $31,410.41 PLUS the Holiday pay. I wound how many employees. And actually it's not money compared to the complete budget of a town. BUT one must look at all cost. You would never not include all cost in business so I expect them not to do it in government budgeting.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    To wrap this up proper we should get the salary of the TOA employees cost after the event. To see what it really cost to hold the event with holiday pay etc. $31,410 plus thier cost would add up too?

read a little further down....

GRAND TOTAL: $31,410.41

ADDITIONAL COSTS:

I am thinking the total of $31,410.41 is for the event and the difference being $18,590 is on a seperate payroll for the TOA Recreation Department Employees & TOA Police Department Officers (both w/ Holiday Pay).

Think of it this way-
    I buy a $150 camera at Kmart and a $100 printer at office max, when someone asks how much did I pay for the camera I won't say it was $250 even though it cost me that much to make great family photos from my home computer. They were sperate purchases, just like the TOA Recreation Department Employees & TOA Police Department Officers from the cost of the event.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    again this has nothing to do with the event we started talking about. This is about the complete cost of any event.

I dont know where you got your logic from but it doesn't make sense.

If they pay $31,410 for an event which requires TOA employees outside of the event for another $18,590 the total event cost is $50,000 to the tax payer. If the event never happened there wouldn't of been $18,590 spent for TOA employees besides the $31,410.

Think of it this way-
    I buy a $150 camera at Kmart and a $100 printer at office max, when someone asks how much did I pay for the camera I won't say it was $250 even though it cost me that much to make great family photos from my home computer. They were sperate purchases, just like the TOA Recreation Department Employees & TOA Police Department Officers from the cost of the event.
    No but if they were asking how much your whole trip to kmart was, it was $250.00. Just like a trip to the fireworks display. THE TOTAL COST. I dont care which budget each penny comes from, the complete budget is paid for in this case by the tax payer. Which in this case peanuts. Are you trying to argue over something for the sake of just arguing?

I'm not certain if $30,000 - $50,000 is insignificant to the Town Of Amherst. [Notice, I'm not saying that spending that much for an Independence Day Celecbration is improper... I'm just saying that "it's real money"... and, therefore, should be fair game to be discussed.] Let's not forget that just a few months ago the Amherst Town Board (or at least some of it's then members) hearalded their thrifty decision to discontinue a $30,000 per year agreement with the Amherst Bee relative to publishing Town Board meeting minutes. I remember how critical, important and significant $30,000 was said to be at that time.

I guess my point is, $30,000 can be spent on whatever we want it to be spent on... but let's make sure that it's spent wisely and because the people that are footing the bill want it to be spent in that way.

I cannot agree that certain expenses are "off limits" to inquiry and review. After all, it's our Town, isn't it? Don't/shouldn't we have the final say?

I'd like to know how Skylighters was chosen to provide the aerial display. Was there and RFQ? What were the specs in the RFQ? Same with the sound system... RFQ? Or, does the Town just "always" use Indigo (I think they do Bassett Park shows, too). Indigo is good, but they are not always the best production company. And why is there a generator rental? Is there no place to tap power at UB? The list goes on. Who manages this entire event... who's accountable?

I don't think these are unreasonable questions to ask when considering a $30,000 expense year-after-year.

If you watch the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Amherst?

How do you look at the cost of the event. Do you look at the complete cost for the event to happen?

The $34,410 Plus the TOA labor cost? Or do you consider the cost of the event only the $34,410 even though there's the cost of the TOA with holiday pay.

If there's a charge of:

University at Buffalo facility fees:
    2003 totals:
    Logistics and Management: 1,000
    Security Officers: 3,370.71
    Why are there more TOA security needed? What is the $3,370 needed for? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a security company to secure the event versus paying highly paid amherst police?

I dont know where you got your logic from but it doesn't make sense.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a security company to secure the event versus paying highly paid amherst police?

Amherst police will already be on duty, as with being on duty everyday, just in this case they will receive holiday pay as with every holiday throughout the year. What would the police do? The entire police department should have the day off so that the town can save a few bucks in hiring a standard security company? Wouldn't the town's people feel more secure knowing the police are on patrol?

Another thing to consider is the national sercuity level will be more than likely elevated to 'high alert' because this it being an American holiday.

Same with the parks department workers. Preparations need to be made before, during and after the event which includes- setting it all up, maintaining the area throughout as well as cleaning up when it's all over.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Amherst police will already be on duty, as with being on duty everyday, just in this case they will receive holiday pay as with every holiday throughout the year.
    They would be doing what they are normally doing on any other day. Case paperwork, looking for drunk drivers, burglers etc.

Yes you are 100% correct police are already on duty but if they are at the event who is covering for what they normally do on a non event day?

Everyday doesn't have an event which could draw 5,000 or more people. The question you should ask is will they call in more police that they would have on a normal day to cover this event.

You take the cost of the extra police that were called in for the event (any event acutally) that normally wouldn't of been working on a normal day. This is basic budgeting 101. If you normally have 25 police on duty but you call in 10 more to monitor the event you now have 35 police on payroll for the day. The 10 extra police called in is a direct cost related to the event other than just the cost of the fireworks display.

I'm sorry if i'm not explaining myself correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information