Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is so quaint about Alden

What is so quaint about Alden

“What is so quaint about Alden,” asks an Akron resident in today’s Buffalo News “Everybody’s Column”.

The News writer was elated when hearing that a Wal-Mart was going to be built there; not even in the town, but the village of Alden.

Says the writer: “We live in Newstead (Akron) and travel to Williamsville to shop there. We all know you can save a buck or two, which is why we go to Wal-Mart. Get with the flow people. It is called progress.”

Imagine that, a resident of Newstead throwing rocks at the town of Alden’ character and culture, and all because of a Wal-Mart.

Is this the typical mindset of a Wal-Mart shopper, namely, it’s all about me? Here’s how you should act and what your community should do to please me, regardless of the impacts on your quality of life and the impacts to the environment.

In another commentary in the same Everybody’s Column, an Angola resident expresses wishes that a Wal-Mart come to his town.

Well, the two individuals should contact Wal-Mart and express their desires to have a Wal-Mart in their communities and see what Wal-Mart tells them. And then ask their neighbors if they want a Wal-Mart in their back yards. Maybe Clarence would consider putting in a Wal-Mart?

My immediate thought: If you love Wal-Mart so much, have one put in your community -- and don't make demeaning remarks about another town, its atmosphere and the people who don't want a Wal-Mart there.

That was a very cold, selfish letter.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    That was a very cold, selfish letter.
    The same sentaments apply to those oppossed to Wal-Mart.

Never once considering how Wal-Mart has allowed those of minum means to provide new products for their families. Without the need of going to the Salvation Army and getting hand-me-downs or second hand toys.

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    The same sentaments apply to those oppossed to Wal-Mart.

Never once considering how Wal-Mart has allowed those of minum means to provide new products for their families. Without the need of going to the Salvation Army and getting hand-me-downs or second hand toys.
    I don't know about that.

One thing I do suspect, though, is that if Wal-Mart tried to put down stakes in Newstead, there would be an uproar. That town is very concerned about maintaining its rural atmosphere. You already hear people saying they don't want to be "the next Clarence."

I bet even the person who wrote that letter would find a reason to object to a Wal-mart in her home town. It would probably go something like, "I don't object to Wal-Mart, but in this case...."

1. It would eat up farm land
    2. It would bring traffic, crime etc.
    3. Jeopardize water supplies.....
    4. Endanger the small town atmosphere that we all cherish
    5. Jeopardize the viability of the village of Akron.

Sound familiar?

So let me get this straight. Ms. Joan Schlegel questions what is so “quaint” about Alden; essentially telling them to “get with the flow” and build a Wal-Mart in Alden. She insists that Newstead residents are forced to travel to Williamsville to get bargain deals at Wal-Mart and would rather travel to nearby Alden.

I wonder how Ms. Schlegel would react if the shoe was on the other foot and a Wal-Mart was built in Newstead. After all, is this not the same Newstead that is creating quite a fuss about the possibility of the Williamsville Toll Barrier being relocated (and expanded) to the Town of Newstead?

Many Newstead residents complain that having a large toll plaza in their backyard would destroy their small-town ambiance. Do you think the people of Alden may feel the same about their small-town ambiance and their backyard?

Screw it! Put WalMarts in Alden AND Akron! That way it would help take some congestion off of Transit Road.

People who love Erie County so much should quit trying to preserve it as a rural area. Build a wall around your county and just go ahead and develop the crap out of it like some kind of Nazi utopia in a sci-fi movie.

And for every WalMart there is in a town, that town should be required to build one prison.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvan_fettle
    And for every WalMart there is in a town, that town should be required to build one prison.
    Alden already has two prisons...does that mean we get 2 Walmarts...and does the Erie County home count as a half, if so maybe we can get a Tim Hortons and Mighty Taco.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues
    Alden already has two prisons...does that mean we get 2 Walmarts...and does the Erie County home count as a half, if so maybe we can get a Tim Hortons and Mighty Taco.
    And a Dunkin' Donuts?

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    Well, the two individuals should contact Wal-Mart and express their desires to have a Wal-Mart in their communities and see what Wal-Mart tells them. And then ask their neighbors if they want a Wal-Mart in their back yards. Maybe Clarence would consider putting in a Wal-Mart?
    Most of us think about that before we buy our homes. Apparently the people with WalMarts being built in their backyards thought that the large vacant lot on Transit Road (or wherever) was a nature preserve.

As for Clarence....umm...there is a WalMart in Clarence, already. You should take a ride down there some day.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Every business person in the area should do thier best to keep walmart out.

Every dollar you spend at a new walmart is a dollar not spent at an existing "usually" locally owned business in a lot of cases. Why would you want to drain any money out of a community?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Every dollar you spend at a new walmart is a dollar not spent at an existing "usually" locally owned business in a lot of cases. Why would you want to drain any money out of a community?
    Then why stop at WalMart?

What about every other Big Box, as well? How many of them are locally owned?

And, then where do you draw the line? Is it OK to patronize McDonald's? My neighbor owns a McDonald's, so it's local. But where do they buy their meat, bread and condiments from?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Res,
    With that reasoning we should close down all malls and all franchises.
    Everywhere you look some small mom and pop has been put out of buisness.
    It happened to me when Block Buster come to town.
    We didn't complain. We found new buisness and differant products to sell.
    Not to mention being on top of the rumors and getting out of the video buisness before it hurt our income.
    If you are going to own your own buisness, you are not protected against competition. Large or small.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Then why stop at WalMart?

What about every other Big Box, as well? How many of them are locally owned?

And, then where do you draw the line? Is it OK to patronize McDonald's? My neighbor owns a McDonald's, so it's local. But where do they buy their meat, bread and condiments from?
    Raising his hand eagerly
    Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me!

You are correct.
    McDonalds buy's there goods through McD's Corporate office.

Res,
    Everywhere you look some small mom and pop has been put out of buisness.
    It happened to me when Block Buster come to town.
    We didn't complain. We found new buisness and differant products to sell.
    I have some friends (more like friends of a friend) who had a few, successful, video rental stores several years ago in Brooklyn and Queens (early '90's, I guess).
    Then, when Blockbuster came to town, they were nearly Kaput. So, they diversified, and started selling comic books.
    Eventually, they opened a comic book store in Times Square.
    Then, they got into distribution.
    I haven't seen these guys in years, but the last I heard, they are one of (if not THE) largest distributors in the Country.

Raising his hand eagerly
    Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me!

You are correct.
    McDonalds buy's there goods through McD's Corporate office.
    It was a rhetorical question, Horshack.

Ask Epstein, he'll know what rhetorical means.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information