Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is so quaint about Alden

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    It was a rhetorical question, Horshack.

Ask Epstein, he'll know what rhetorical means.
    Thanks Mrs. Carter!
    He said it had something to do with proctology.

Rising wrote:

Most of us think about that before we buy our homes. Apparently the people with WalMarts being built in their backyards thought that the large vacant lot on Transit Road (or wherever) was a nature preserve.

As for Clarence....umm...there is a WalMart in Clarence, already. You should take a ride down there some day.
    This thread pertains to Alden, not Lancaster. Stick to the point. Secondly, Wal-Mart once again seeks a rezone, not caring one bit about environmental impacts, an impact to the aquifer that is used for drinking water and/or the quality of life to the residents that will be affected in Wal-Mart's back yard.

And then, the project sponsor's attorney threatens that Wal-Mart would pursue a lawsuit should they not get the rezone approval. So much for fair competition and "if you don’t want us we won't come."

Good pickup on the Clarence location. If you look in the phone directory, the 5033 Transit location is listed as being both both Clarence and Williamsville. You know quite well that I meant in a different part of town where a rezone and all kinds of special use permits and variances would be required.

LHardy wrote:

Never once considering how Wal-Mart has allowed those of minum means to provide new products for their families. Without the need of going to the Salvation Army and getting hand-me-downs or second hand toys.
    Are you serious? That example bears no reply.

Regardless, the initial posting was about an individual besmirching another town. And, we all can't have Rising's omniscience on where to build our homes and to be so naive to trust town officials, comprehensive plans and zoning codes.

According to Rising and his ilk, “We should have known better.” Hey, that’s what Supervisor Giza and his minions tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    Good pickup on the Clarence location. If you look in the phone directory, the 5033 Transit location is listed as being both both Clarence and Williamsville. You know quite well that I meant in a different part of town where a rezone and all kinds of special use permits and variances would be required.
    For what it's worth, it's the Town of Clarence, Williamsville Post Office.

But, I think I see your point - I guess you were talking about putting a WalMart smack dab in the middle of the residential/rural part of Clarence.

Because, we all know that a WalMart on Transit Road is a no-brainer. Right?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Then why stop at WalMart?

What about every other Big Box, as well? How many of them are locally owned?

And, then where do you draw the line? Is it OK to patronize McDonald's? My neighbor owns a McDonald's, so it's local. But where do they buy their meat, bread and condiments from?
    Yes any big box store that would compete with a locally owned business.

Same with Mcdonalds versus like a Miltons or John and Mary's. But with a mcdonalds I believe the bulk of the profit stays with the owner and is not shipped out of state.

Originally Posted by Frank Reich II

So let me get this straight. Ms. Joan Schlegel questions what is so “quaint” about Alden; essentially telling them to “get with the flow” and build a Wal-Mart in Alden. She insists that Newstead residents are forced to travel to Williamsville to get bargain deals at Wal-Mart and would rather travel to nearby Alden.
    Why travel to the faraway lands of Williamsville when you can just go to www.walmart.com for a new pair of socks or cheap undies. Same low prices, same merchandise and the cost of shipping is offset by the high cost of gas that won't be used.

Alden is "quaint" once again.

I love solving problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot Fungus
    Why travel to the faraway lands of Williamsville when you can just go to www.walmart.com for a new pair of socks or cheap undies. Same low prices, same merchandise and the cost of shipping is offset by the high cost of gas that won't be used.

I love solving problems.
    Now that was delicious! hehehe....

Rising wrote:

But, I think I see your point - I guess you were talking about putting a WalMart smack dab in the middle of the residential/rural part of Clarence.

Because, we all know that a WalMart on Transit Road is a no-brainer. Right?
    Hold it, are you saying that Clarence has no commercial zoned areas except along Transit Road? I think not. And, that Newstead (Akron) individual is carping about having to travel so far to the Williamsville, Transit Road store to save some money.

And, wouldn't those underserved eastern Clarence residents be better served with a Wal-Mart - one stop shopping, saving on gas, etc.

I love solving problems.
    Oh maybe the following:

1. Buy groceries,
    2. Able to try on clothing to see if it fits, without having to worry about returning it by mail,
    3. Convienance,
    4. Look to see what's available, and
    5. Browsing.

To name a few off the top of my head.

Also some people do not have credit cards therefore not easy to buy online.

Micheal

Originally Posted by Micheal Joseph

Oh maybe the following:

1. Buy groceries
    Perhaps WalMart could create a few jobs by starting a delivery service. I didn't know that the Super-Mega WalMart was the world's exclusive distributor of food.

2. Able to try on clothing to see if it fits, without having to worry about returning it by mail
    If you don't know the size of your socks and undies there's a problem. If I'm right, you can't try those on anyway.

3. Convienance
    Standard town answer when a resident has a problem, "They should have known better when they moved there". I'm confused here. The person moved to Newstead, but didn't know that it wasn't a retail mecca?

4. Look to see what's available
    The catalog is online now. Woo Hoo!! And you can even go farther on the internet by researching the consumer reports files on items you are going to purchase. Can't do that in the store.

5. Browsing
    I would hope that there are other social activities that are better than wandering the local WalMart. Perhaps they could start a date night. Once K-Mart finally goes out of business, they could buy the blue lights from the Blue Light Specials for ambience. I'm feeling frisky already (and the Friskies are probably cheaper there too-do they still make Friskies?).

To name a few off the top of my head.

Also some people do not have credit cards therefore not easy to buy online.
    I haven't bought anything online at WalMart.com, but I'm sure that they have other forms of online payment available. These are the days of internet banking, I'm pretty sure that theres a way to pay for their goods online without a credit card.

I always found the WalMart debate interesting. People will defend or defy WalMart with their lives. I could care less really. My one experience at a WalMart was bad, but no big deal really. What always bothered me was that even if an entire community told WalMart "No, we don't want you here", it seems that this company would still want to be there. It's bizarre. To me it's like having that person that you don't like (and they don't like you either), but yet you feel the need to hang around outside their house everyday (much to their dismay).

These debates always center around quality of life issues vs. right to shop issues. Sorry, but I'm more prone to side with the quality of life issues. The world has gone nuts when people need to defend a department store like it was going to destroy their very existence if it wasn't there.

Originally Posted by LHardy

The same sentaments apply to those oppossed to Wal-Mart.

Never once considering how Wal-Mart has allowed those of minum means to provide new products for their families. Without the need of going to the Salvation Army and getting hand-me-downs or second hand toys.
    YIPES!

I heard a rumor that the Catholic church is thinking about adding St. WalMart. He would be the patron saint of starving children, widows and orphans. He also leaps tall buildings in a single bound.

How many new St. WalMarts are slated for Third World and underdeveloped nations?

Are you serious?

Shopping at a box or department store a social experience? HA!

People dont even look at each other. Their attitude seems to always be *hurry up and get out of my way so I can stand in line for 30 minutes and stare at the floor and never say anything to anyone, especially the screaming brat kids they brought with them.

YIPES!

I heard a rumor that the Catholic church is thinking about adding St. WalMart. He would be the patron saint of starving children, widows and orphans. He also leaps tall buildings in a single bound.

How many new St. WalMarts are slated for Third World and underdeveloped nations?

Are you serious?
    Id love to see what would happen if WalMart put 4 super stores in downtown bagdad. LOL

We're having a similar discussion here http://forums.speakupwny.com/showthread.php?t=11362
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Originally Posted by sylvan_fettle

Id love to see what would happen if WalMart put 4 super stores in downtown bagdad. LOL
    They would be so blown away by the low cost of goods that the insurgency would end and the US forces could come home in a week. Terrorists, Sunnis, Kurds, Shiites all shopping together in harmony. The Iraq government would become unified, as with the new ultra-low cost goods they would no longer need to fight over their share of the Iraq oil revenues. This peace and harmony would then spread to the rest of the Middle East, ringing in a new era of happiness for all, and lots of good nearby shopping. All of the profits would come to the US (and China of course as they supply most of the goods thereby funding their growing war machine -the peace and harmony is feeling a bit uneasy there).

Another great miracle brought to you by St. WalMart (somewhere, Sally Struthers is off shaking in a corner).

YIPES!

Are you serious?
    Prove I'm wrong if you think I am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information