Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YNN is reporting that wine makers expect 3x sales from allowing walmart to sell wine

YNN is reporting that wine makers expect 3x sales from allowing walmart to sell wine

is that a good thing?

do we really want the consumption of an alcoholic beverage to increase by 300%?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    is that a good thing?

If I buy a bottle of wine in one store, why would I go to another store for another bottle?
    My consumption is the same, the venue has changed.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

is that a good thing?

Only as long as it is "good" wine.

Now stop your whining!
    I couldn't resist!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

liquor stores will take a hit

Walmart will hurt them. as well, Walmart will set the price to the wine producers as to what it will pay them to carry their product. Personally, I'll go to the liquor store. Walmart is doing good enough.

The State is absolutely screwing liquor store owners by doing this.

Their business has always been heavily regulated by the State - to the point where they're not even allowed to sell a lot of items, such as lottery tickets and cigarettes. And, the owners have always accepted those regulations in exchange for being the only stores that are allowed to sell liquor and wine.

And, now the State is saying "you know what? **** you. We've realized we can make more money collecting taxes if we allow WalMart to sell wine, as well. So, that deal we had - the one which you based your entire life savings on to set up this shop? Well, **** you, the deal is off the table."

And, before anyone bothers stepping in, saying "well, I'll still go the liquor store, because I don't mind paying a little more for the personal service I get in a locally-owned liquor store," -- good for you, but you're the exception.

If the rest of the world subscribed to your theory, WalMart wouldn't exist.

Doesn't Sam's Club already sell wine? How do they get away with that?

What the state SHOULD do is allow the sale of NYS wine in stores... nothing extra.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Supermarkets have been selling box wine for years?

Box wine and jugg wine are so nasty but remind me of high school and college.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    And, before anyone bothers stepping in, saying "well, I'll still go the liquor store, because I don't mind paying a little more for the personal service I get in a locally-owned liquor store," -- good for you, but you're the exception.

If the rest of the world subscribed to your theory, WalMart wouldn't exist.

I agree they are getting the shaft, but in areas where liquor stores do not have an exclusive, like CA, they appear to do just fine.

Let's be honest, they type of wine Wal-Mart is going to sell is not going to be on the shelves of a wine store. While 'service' is an item, you should also consider selection.

I know for a fact that the options for beer and wine in WNY are limited, even in the massive stores like Premier. More retailers mean more options. What I think will happen is liquor stores will move to stocking high end beer/wine and leave the swill to Wal-Mart.

I also think the point that some are missing is liquor stores should have never had an exclusive on liquor. If people think that liquor stores did not have a hand in setting up that system, to their benefit, they are being naive.

Exclusives are a bad idea any way you look at them.

Competition always drives prices down. I like to get the same thing for less. In North Carolina, many times, the local grocery will sell wine for less than the winery itself. Competition always drives the price down.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Competition always drives prices down. I like to get the same thing for less. In North Carolina, many times, the local grocery will sell wine for less than the winery itself. Competition always drives the price down.

I am not talking about price. Some of the beer I drink costs $24 for a 22oz bomber. I am talking about selection.

Looking at the Beer List for Premier, they are out of stock on almost every beer I would consider good/great. I am sure the same applies to wine.

is that a good thing?

I doubt the volume of overall alcoholic beverage consumption will increase. Hell, in WNY I am not sure it could go much higher. What you will see is people purchasing different items.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I am not talking about price. Some of the beer I drink costs $24 for a 22oz bomber. I am talking about selection.

Looking at the Beer List for Premier, they are out of stock on almost every beer I would consider good/great. I am sure the same applies to wine.
    Have you tried going direct to the brewer? What kind of beer was that? I really liked the dragon brew at Wegman's and they no longer sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Have you tried going direct to the brewer? What kind of beer was that? I really liked the dragon brew at Wegman's and they no longer sell it.

I do not have a problem with beer in San Diego...but in WNY when I visit I do.

As for going direct the the brewer, you can but really only if they are local. Some of the brewers in Southern California have ended their beer clubs because of shipping rules. They either sell right there or you have to find it in the store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information