Thread: Bi-polar manic depressive behavior

Bi-polar manic depressive behavior

I have been seeing this more and more over the years. More prevalent in women than men. What I have noticed is women getting this after giving birth.

Any correlation to that? Does medication every really work?

Prozac helped me after I had my youngest.

I think occassionally people catch mental "colds" and for some a brief period on meds may help while others it might experate problems.

I have a relative who has anxiety issues and they take ativan but only once in a while, like a few times a year. The same relative was put on anti depresents, which wasn't helpful to her problems, then put on anti pyscotics and that made her problems worse.

The problem is doctors play around to much with medications. They put someone on something and then it causes a side effect so they put them on something for the side effect. Drug A is causing patient to have insomnia so they put them on sleeping pills.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

I have a relative who does not seem to be responding to the drugs. I find this illness a conundrum. It never seems to be at a even mood. Always up and down never calm or consistant. That is why I find this so puzzling. After all these years why does this illness not seen progress in treating it.

Have they tried anything dietary? There are some special diets worth trying, Feingold diet is one I have heard from many work well for children with depression.

http://feingold.org/

If you want to get new aged about it, reiki is suppose to be good. My thing about Reiki and the alternative treatments is not that I don't think they can work but that do you know you are getting someone who is legit and know what they are doing. There is no way to tell. At least with doctors they are board certified.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Yes, but will my ex take it?

Mania-is a cluster of symtoms

that are associated with one aspect of bipolar disorder.

There is Type I --must have at least one fully manic episode with periods of major depression.

Type II ---have never experienced full - fledged mania. Instead they experience periods of hypomania (elevated levels of energy and impulsiveness that are not as extreme as the symptoms of mania).

Cyclothymia---a mild form of bipolar disorder involves less severe mood swings with alternating periods of hypomania and mild depression.

It is indicated that this is triggered by: childbirth~life change
    Medications-antidepressants or steroids
    Periods of sleeplessness
    Recreational drug use

Symptoms:
    Agitation or irritation
    Inflated self-esteem (delusions of grandeur, false beliefs in special abilities)
    Little need for sleep
    Noticeably elevated mood
    Hyperactivity
    Increased energy
    Lack of self-control
    Racing Thoughts
    Over-involvement in activities
    Poor temper control
    Reckless behavior:\/such as---binge eating, drinking, drug use, impaired judgment, sexual promiscuity, spending sprees
    Tendency to be easily distracted

Treatment:
    Drugs, Carbamazepine, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Valproate, antipsychotic drugs, anti-anxiety drugs (benzodiazepines)
    Electroconvulsive Therapy-ECT-
    Support Programs to learn how to cope and recognize the signs-indicators or red flags.

(this information is directly from PubMed Health)

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Have they tried anything dietary? There are some special diets worth trying, Feingold diet is one I have heard from many work well for children with depression.

http://feingold.org/

If you want to get new aged about it, reiki is suppose to be good. My thing about Reiki and the alternative treatments is not that I don't think they can work but that do you know you are getting someone who is legit and know what they are doing. There is no way to tell. At least with doctors they are board certified.
    I don' know too much about reiki. I think energy is a mind over matter situation. Like a placebo affect.

Diet plays a huge role and I am a firm believer in that. It is amazing that bipolar has such impulsive emotions and thoughts and actions that somewhere there should be reasoning that can overide these emotions. It is truly a puzzling disease.

Wanted to add, I believe this disease requires a consequence -- rewards type of behavior model. What do you think Domestic?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Wanted to add, I believe this disease requires a consequence -- rewards type of behavior model. What do you think Domestic?
    I think it depends on any other underlying conditions that go along with it. You take a diesease like the impuslive type of adhd, consequences might not work as well as one would hope.

There is this great method on how to handle kids who consequences and rewards don't work with, it's called collaborative problem solving. I am sure it could be used to help adults who may be a bit difficult and explosive too. It was developed by Dr. Ross Greene. I read the "explosive child" written by dr. Greene.

http://www.livesinthebalance.org/

He stays away from labels and just focuses on the behaviors and what could be triggering the behaviors. Then the adult or caretaker and troubled person work together to figure out how a one can deal with the triggers or avoid them. There is a whole scientific process with this method.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I think it depends on any other underlying conditions that go along with it. You take a diesease like the impuslive type of adhd, consequences might not work as well as one would hope.

There is this great method on how to handle kids who consequences and rewards don't work with, it's called collaborative problem solving. I am sure it could be used to help adults who may be a bit difficult and explosive too. It was developed by Dr. Ross Greene. I read the "explosive child" written by dr. Greene.

http://www.livesinthebalance.org/

He stays away from labels and just focuses on the behaviors and what could be triggering the behaviors. Then the adult or caretaker and troubled person work together to figure out how a one can deal with the triggers or avoid them. There is a whole scientific process with this method.

Nice, that you for the resource. I value your opinion you have shown great knowledge as well as life experiences.

I love that idea of collaborative thinking method. I believe once the triggers are established the rehabilitative process can begin.

I also agree the model approaches do not specifically apply generically.

Thread Information