Thread: If I were a dictator in the Middle East..

If I were a dictator in the Middle East..

I'd be crapping my pants right now with fear of a revolution..

Egypt and Tunasia.. Whose next? Will Iran try something again?

I also read China blocked internet searches including the word Egypt..
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I believe this is why governments don't really want the internet as open as it is. Lets people see the bull**** they do.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I believe this is why governments don't really want the internet as open as it is. Lets people see the bull**** they do.
    They attempted to block the internet in Egypt. PEople are still getting through though through dial up modems and other methods. They are dialing through other countries.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    Saudi,, except revolution is more likely with poor countries,, people that are fat and happy could care. Kuwait was not democratic.. and I don't think anyone really cared.

Iran.. may be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post

nah ... keep watching ... you'll see. They'll go from dictatorship to Sharia law- a he-man-wonam-hater's law instead of free-speaker's-of-any-sex-must-die form of government.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    nah ... keep watching ... you'll see. They'll go from dictatorship to Sharia law- a he-man-wonam-hater's law instead of free-speaker's-of-any-sex-must-die form of government.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in Egypt because the protestors range from the muslim brotherhood to more liberal activists. They are standing together right now but after this is done there could be some sort of civil war.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    See what google came up with? THey are helping the protesters get information out through twitter

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    See what google came up with? THey are helping the protesters get information out through twitter
    Too bad most can't get to the net easily.

Al jazeer is cut off from broadcasting in Egypt as well.

I'm trying to think: has there ever been a revolution in a country that has free/open elections and upholds what we call our 1st Amendment rights? I can't think of one.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

They blocked facebook in Syria..

Online, however, it was a different story. Internet users reported a significant slowdown in the web, with searches for news on Egypt often crashing browsers.

Heavy user traffic could be an explanation but in Syria, where thousands of websites deemed opposed to state interests are blocked and where Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media are banned, authorities denied accusations they had restricted the service to prevent citizens hearing about events in Cairo.

Earlier this week, though, authorities banned programmes that allow access to Facebook Chat from mobile phones, a cheap and easy means of staying in touch that had exploded in popularity among young Syrians.

"People here are suffering much more than Egypt or Tunisia but you don't see it. They keep their mouths shut because they don't want to be locked up for 10 years," said a graduate medical student, surfing the web at an internet cafe.

Sitting next to him, a young lady finished updating her Facebook page and chatting with friends online - one of thousands of young Syrians adept at using proxy servers to get around the official ban on Facebook.

Although internet users must register their names with the cafe on a list that can be collected by the police, when asked if she had any concerns over breaking the ban on Facebook the young woman said all her friends do the same thing.

Indeed, President Bashar al-Assad, who opened Syria up to the internet when he succeeded his late father in 2000, has his own Facebook page.
    http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...243891877.html

This article is interesting.. According to young Syrians, young people in the middle east aren't about religious idealogy as much as they are about socio economical justice.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    I'm trying to think: has there ever been a revolution in a country that has free/open elections and upholds what we call our 1st Amendment rights? I can't think of one.
    Iran had open elections but they were rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Possibly,,,,,how about a country where two or more people claim to be victors in an election.

Some country that I cannot recall in Africa. I think there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Possibly,,,,,how about a country where two or more people claim to be victors in an election.

Some country that I cannot recall in Africa. I think there are others.
    Sudan?

Thread Information