Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna news

A rigged polling place.....lol.......It was long a waiting to do that...Look in other city and towns, we are not the 1st.How can u rig the polling place that is impossible.you really sound dumb.And as for cathy run again maybe this time be serious about it.Try walking and meeting people,talking to them. From what i recall you didnt do that last election just throwing it out there.Have a good night.

Your comprehension problem pops up yet again. I said rigged election not rigged polling place. They mean 2 different things you know. I just love how you avoided all the lawyer stuff. Typical from people who can't counter the truth,they just avoid answering at all and think the problems go away and no one will notice. In reality people see right thru your non answers.

I believe the last lawyer firm was related to the last school board president ask her and u tell me how votes r rigged u must be a pro at that......Good night and sleep tight.....

So your undies are bunched because I didn't meet you? Ok, we can start over....would you like to be my manager if I decide to take the plunge? Have to get busy soon!

As far as a single polling place located in the city....how much $ will it save? $3,000? Heh, I know.....Makeyenko can make sure those saved dollars go to the city to pay for the fuel pumps! That way everyone can play nice!

Post Lackawanna is like other communities But then again it is Not .......

I wonder if it even saves $3000.00, Cath to eliminate all the neighborhood polling spots. Last I knew they paid places like St. Anthony's appr. $100.00/day per district.

Citizens in Lackawanna have had their polling places changes so many times in the last 10 years or so that many folks do not even bother taking their time to go vote anymore. Hence, the "family and friends" club members push their people out and the rest is history. Just watch them on their cell phones on election day---"the machine" is finely oiled and the pyramid grows daily with people who are given false job promises.

They can only promise so much--there are only crumbs left in the bottom of the pie tin, and they will still fight each other to lick the pan dry in order to get their kid "in"!

mnb, you are on track with the "pied piper", BUT----he is NOT the Piper, there are higher-ups that jerk his chain and tell him what to play. He has been a very obedient soldier these past 16 years or so, ironically this is about the time that Lackawanna School District started slipping in Business First rating. Hmmmmm.........

Cath, sounds as if "lack 1" has been intimately following your career or someone close to you.....You know that old saying, "Keep your friends close, But your enemies closer"!

" Gotta be in it to WIN " Thanks "lack1", I have been in "it" for over 20 years and have no plans of ever leaving "it" till Lackawanna is free of the corruption that has robbed it of its glory!

All Aboard the "A" Train! How about joining the " A " Team lack---you will be on the right track for once! Choo Choo!

Post Wow!

16 people currently "viewing", WOW!
    I am very happy to see so many folks interested in the City of Lackawanna!

"SPEAK-UP!"-----that's what this #1 Community Forum is for, and there is no time to waste anymore.
    Don't we all want OUR children to inherit a modern community with a government that works for them instead of themselves? We owe it to the kids, PLEASE Speak-Up and get involved in stopping Lackawanna any further decay, drive around all neighborhoods- if you can dodge the pot-holes......

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    I believe the last lawyer firm was related to the last school board president ask her and u tell me how votes r rigged u must be a pro at that......Good night and sleep tight.....
    Really? Didn't they put in bids for law firms? You guys spread more garbage than Joe Ball. As far as vote rigging goes, I see you still have your reading comprehension problem. Got to be in it to win it? Seriously with these clowns its more like got to be in it to watch your family and friends get jacked up!

Lackawanna News

Dear Lackawanna #1

Yes, I was on the Board for 3 years.

Causing trouble?

Interesting interpretation of my posting.

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Really? Didn't they put in bids for law firms? You guys spread more garbage than Joe Ball. As far as vote rigging goes, I see you still have your reading comprehension problem. Got to be in it to win it? Seriously with these clowns its more like got to be in it to watch your family and friends get jacked up!
    School attorneys are appointed by the board of education. There is NO bidding process....just the favor the the BOE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lackawanna News

Yes, School Attorneys are appointed by the BOE, but when the law firm of Ferrara, Freedman, et.al. were appointed it was only after law firms that SPECIFICALLY dealt with education law, BOE issues, Special Education, etc. were interviewed by the BOE. We felt the need for attorneys who were up-to-date with tax laws, labor relations, and who could counsel us on options available to us. We found a law firm with a practice dedicated to education law and with a proven track record for winning in court. This law firm represented over 100 school districts and BOCES.

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    good eye/call, crafty! Nice job, and thanks for the info!

If the "family and friends" club weren't too busy planning their next vacation, maybe we citizens could get the correct information put out!
    how dare them sneaky people put the recycling schedule under the public works department.......them varments.

Charles BARONE Jr. Visit Guest Book

BARONE - Charles Jr. February 14, 2011 of Lackawanna, NY, beloved husband of Mary Ann (nee Novelli) Barone; dearest father of Cheryl A. (late Gerard J.) Connolly II and Robert C. Anthony; grandfather of Jared M. Connolly; great-grandfather of Bethany A. Connolly; son of the late Charles and Mary (nee DePasquale) Barone Sr.; brother of Florence (Edward) Shuski, Lillian (Carlos) Chameli and the late Anthony "Tony", Norma (late Ray) Gechoff, Elizabeth "Betty", James (Sherry); also survived by nieces and nephews. Services from THE COLONIAL MEMORIAL CHAPELS INC., 3003 South Park Ave., Lackawanna Thursday morning at 9 and from St. Anthony's Church at 9:30. Visitation Wednesday only 2-8 PM.

Dolores A. (DeMaria) ANTECKI Visit Guest Book

ANTECKI - Dolores A. (nee DeMaria) Of Lackawanna, NY, February 15, 2011, beloved wife of the late Michael P. Antecki; dearest mother of Michael Sr. (Patricia) and Mark (Lori) Antecki; grandmother of Maj. Michael Jr. (Veronica), Marc and Olivia Antecki; sister of Rose (late Sam) Librera and the late Samuel (late Frances) DeMaria and the late Mary (late Lester) Haskell. Family will be present to receive friends Thursday 3-7 PM at the (Blasdell/Lackawanna Chapel) JOHN J. KACZOR FUNERAL HOME INC., 3450 South Park Ave., where Funeral Services will be held Friday morning at 10 AM. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery.

Dolores A. (DeMaria) ANTECKI Visit Guest Book

ANTECKI - Dolores A. (nee DeMaria) Of Lackawanna, NY, February 15, 2011, beloved wife of the late Michael P. Antecki; dearest mother of Michael Sr. (Patricia) and Mark (Lori) Antecki; grandmother of Maj. Michael Jr. (Veronica), Marc and Olivia Antecki; sister of Rose (late Sam) Librera and the late Samuel (late Frances) DeMaria and the late Mary (late Lester) Haskell. Family will be present to receive friends Thursday 3-7 PM at the (Blasdell/Lackawanna Chapel) JOHN J. KACZOR FUNERAL HOME INC., 3450 South Park Ave., where Funeral Services will be held Friday morning at 10 AM. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How much does your district have in reserve?
    Feb 16, 2011 7:41:19 AM / Comment
    During state budget hearings in Albany on Tuesday, Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy echoed the same theme we've been hearing from the governor: the schools should be able to absorb the proposed state aid cuts without feeling the pinch.

Among other things, Duffy again pointed to the millions that school districts have in reserve funds. By the most recent estimates available, from the end of the last fiscal year in June, that totals $1.5 billion statewide.

By law, a district can have up to 4 percent of its total budget set aside in undesignated fund balance -- what many people refer to as the "rainy day fund." (The state cap used to be 2 percent, but that's been increased in the past few years.) The money is there to cover costs that might arise unexpectedly.

The governor's office says it's time for school districts to tap into those reserves to cover budget shortfalls. School officials say that's not what the reserves are for -- and add that if they use up the reserves this year, they'll have nothing left next year, when that property tax cap is expected to take effect.

Cuomo's office has released a list detailing how much each suburban district had in reserve, as of June 30. Keep in mind that a district may have spent down its reserves since then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What you don't know about the property tax cap
    Feb 15, 2011 12:01:00 AM / Comment
    For all the talk about the property tax cap that seems headed our way, something has been kind of lost in the hubbub.

The details.

Chief among them is the fact that the proposed tax cap would not go into effect until the 2012-13 school year. That gives school districts one more year to play under the old rules (as long as your voters approve a budget, it's fair game).

Some of the other details worth noting (taken from the bill approved by the Senate in late January):

- A district's tax levy increase would be capped at 2 percent or the annual increase in the consumer price index, whichever is less.

- There is a way for schools to exceed the cap. If a district proposes a budget that exceeds the tax cap, the district would need 60 percent approval of the budget, rather than the standard 50 percent.

- If a budget fails to get voter approval, the district would have to submit a revised budget subject to a public vote on the third Tuesday in June. If this revised budget exceeds the tax cap, it would require approval by 60 percent of those voting.

- If the revised budget fails to get voter approval, the district would have to adopt a budget with no tax levy increase.

The tax cap, passed by the Senate and supported by the governor, still requires Assembly approval.

- Mary Pasciak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How much does your superintendent make?
    Feb 11, 2011 10:50:39 AM / Comment
    In defending his budget proposal, which calls for significant cuts to school aid, Gov. Cuomo has gone on the offensive.

Chief among his targets: administrator salaries.

Forty percent of the school superintendents in the state receive more than $200,000 in salary and benefits, Cuomo said last week when he unveiled his budget proposal.

"Why they get paid more than the governor of the State of New York, I really don't understand," said Cuomo, who currently makes $179,000 and has announced his intention to take a pay cut to $170,050. "If it's about the students, then let's find savings within the bureaucracy."

To bolster his argument, the governor is circulating a district-by-district breakdown of salary and benefits for superintendents across the state.

Here's the info that Cuomo's office provided about local districts:

ERIE COUNTY Salary Benefits
    Akron $152,402 $45,769
    Alden $144,238 $42,285
    Amherst $168,568 $19,974
    Buffalo $223,372 N/A
    Cheektowaga $146,000 $29,980
    Cheektowaga-Maryvale $141,000 $35,782
    Cheektowaga-Sloan $176,519 $40,315
    Clarence $213,200 $68,400
    Cleveland Hill $135,200 $36,990
    Depew $160,000 $39,573