Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Welcomed at Giambra's News Conferences

Not Welcomed at Giambra's News Conferences

Posted by: Josh Boose, Reporter

Created: 7/18/2007 10:01:54 PM
    Updated: 7/18/2007 11:12:33 PM

The Erie County Executive's office notified WGRZ TV Wednesday that we are no longer welcome at any county news conferences. One official says it's because 2 On Your Side "hijacked" two recent news conferences.

Even when the White House holds a press conference, reporters are allowed to ask questions that are not part of the President's agenda for that day. But according to Erie County Executive spokesperson Bob Koshinski, 2 On Your Side will not be notified of county news conferences because of doing just that.

2 On Your Side's Josh Boose asked Koshinski, "By not inviting us to the news conferences, if there's something going on, how do we ask questions on behalf of the taxpayers?" "Well, I think the issue was the two news conferences in question that the county executive and the administration were upset about, were both involving first responders and emergency service workers," said Koshinski. "And that story got no play or little play on your station."

But when we covered the second news conference, we told viewers the county executive's message.

In an archived report, 2 On Your Side's Lynn Dixon reported, "Joel Giambra was here to proclaim this week EMS week in Erie County and honor the good work of volunteers especially after the October storm," Dixon stated in a live report. "But, we also wanted to talk to him about something else."

At that press conference we went off Giambra's topic, asking him about possible pork and patronage in the county. And because we did not stick to Giambra's message, his spokesman said they will no longer notify 2 On Your Side about future county press conferences.

"I think it's not just an issue of how questions were asked at news conferences," said Koshinski. "I think it's also an issue when issues deemed important by the county and the administration get very little play and something a little more salacious takes precedent."

Reporter Lynne Dixon was at both news conferences in question. She accompanied Josh Boose when meeting Koshinski Wednesday afternoon. "In no way shape or form did I hijack the news conference," Dixon said.

This is not the first time the Giambra administration has tried to control how 2 On Your Side covers county government. In 2005, they tried to stop WGRZ from sending more than one reporter and camera to news conferences.

Boose asked Koshinski," How can you, as part of his administration have some sort of censorship of that. We're the media. That's part of our job to ask the tough questions."

"We didn't censor anybody," Koshinski replied.

"But when you say, we want these questions asked..., Boose said", Koshinski interrupted, "I think any public official has a perogative to decide if he wants to answer a question."

Our goal is to get your questions answered, but news conferences, at least for now they say, are out of the question.

"If I call the county executive tonight or tomorrow morning, will I be granted an interview," Boose asked Koshinski.

"Every request will be handled individually, if you have an important and legitimate subject matter," Koshinski said.

[We want to talk] "about this, about this," Boose said.

"I couldn't answer that," Koshinski replied. "You can certainly try."

2 On Your Side did try. Josh Boose called Koshinski several hours after the interview on Wednesday to request an interview with Erie County Executive Joel Giambra. Koshinski said the county executive was out of town and not available for comment.

Giambra is slime.

We all stopped listening to Giambra a long time ago. Who cares if you're not "welcome" ... go anyways!
    He can't stop the free press.

I wish we could tell Giambra he's not welcome, go away Joel!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    One official says it's because 2 On Your Side "hijacked" two recent news conferences.
    Here is why I side somewhat with the county on this. This is no different compared to someone hijacking a thread here. They just call it a news conference versus a thread. There is a time and place for everything. If there was a news conference specificly for one issue that new conference should stay on topic. Maybe ask questions at the very end not related to the conference but don't interupt the basic reason why the conference was called for in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Here is why I side somewhat with the county on this. This is no different compared to someone hijacking a thread here. They just call it a news conference versus a thread. There is a time and place for everything. If there was a news conference specificly for one issue that new conference should stay on topic. Maybe ask questions at the very end not related to the conference but don't interupt the basic reason why the conference was called for in the first place.
    eh... i'll take a free and unfettered press 8 days a week, twice on tuesday over politicians being upset their talking points don't get covered. thats a pretty scary proposition. what happens the next time a reporter from another station asks a question they don't feel like answering? pretty soon are they going to make a pool report with one subservient "reporter" who won't rock the boat? hardly a free press and hardly open government. if giambra has a legitimate gripe (i.e. asking personal or totally irrelevant questions like the color of his car or something) he can take it up with them when they ask. if he doesn't like the press asking relevant questions, whether they pertain to the agenda of the press conference or not, tough beans! its not his or governments job to dictate what the media covers and what they deem newsworthy.

i personally cannot stand any of the local media outlets. they suck. but i sincerely hope, now that giambra has employed a pretty heavy handed soviet style tactic, they don't let him cut a fart without asking what he had for lunch. the best way to avoid media scrutiny is to not do anything that might warrant it, shutting out the media, even if it is crappy channel 2, should be considered an unacceptable and undemocratic act that should be fervantly opposed by anyone involved.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

I wonder if this issue has anything to do with Stefan's "resigning".

And Joel is a slimy whiny crybaby and I can't believe he still shows his face around here.

Res what has gotten into you lately I don't want to live in a place where the only questions that can be asked of our government leaders are the question that are formed or deemed by his staff to be appropriate and realivant. I have to agree with the other posters that Giambra is a slime. And if that is your standing why is it that you let threads get hijacked on this MB ?
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Quote Originally Posted by unioncop
    Res what has gotten into you lately I don't want to live in a place where the only questions that can be asked of our government leaders are the question that are formed or deemed by his staff to be appropriate and realivant. I have to agree with the other posters that Giambra is a slime. And if that is your standing why is it that you let threads get hijacked on this MB ?
    plus... any comparison between this message board and a press conference by the elected executive of the county of erie is well... ridiculous.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Don't twist what I said into something I didn't say. I said I can see a news conference being hijacked pulling it off topic to why the conference was called for in the first place.

I also said questions off topic to the TOPIC of why the news conference was called in the first place could be asked at the end. NOT once did I say they shouldn't be asked. NOT once did I say various questions should be off limits. I'm looking at it as technically running a news conference. Not subject matter.

I'm gonna make this as simple as I think I can.

If you were going to hold a news conference for lets say.... Paving of county roads. The topic should stay on "paving of county roads" not every other topic possible because that is NOT WHY the news conference was assembled. Once all question reguarding "paving of county roads" were answered then if there was anything else the news wanted to ask then fine.

There has to be some type of organization even if we have idiots in office. I'm not taking the stance "some questions should be off limits". They are the government and should be questioned all the time specially looking at the track record our local elected officials have.

OF all people your questioning me about questioing public officials. Who do you think started this forum so we can public question what our local officials and governments are doing.

You know why I don't go to some of the meetings that giambra is at? I don't think I could look him in the face without saying something like "Who on earth blew smoke up your butt to the point that you think you should of been county exec in the first place". Don't these elected officials realize thier decisions and actions effect our community? Of course they should be questioned.

Don't twist what I said into something I didn't say. I said I can see a news conference being hijacked pulling it off topic to why the conference was called for in the first place.

I also said questions off topic to the TOPIC of why the news conference was called in the first place could be asked at the end. NOT once did I say they shouldn't be asked. NOT once did I say various questions should be off limits. I'm looking at it as technically running a news conference. Not subject matter.
    sorry if i seemed to jump all over you.

I'm gonna make this as simple as I think I can.

If you were going to hold a news conference for lets say.... Paving of county roads. The topic should stay on "paving of county roads" not every other topic possible because that is NOT WHY the news conference was assembled. Once all question reguarding "paving of county roads" were answered then if there was anything else the news wanted to ask then fine.

There has to be some type of organization even if we have idiots in office. I'm not taking the stance "some questions should be off limits". They are the government and should be questioned all the time specially looking at the track record our local elected officials have.
    true. but thats press conferecne management, not the reporters. giambra is more than able to tell a reporter, "ask me that later." but barring a news organization (as inept and crappy as they are) is way over the line. if they are credentialed, they should not be excluded with the exception of gross and/or unprofessional misconduct (asking an off topic question, imo, is neither).

You know why I don't go to some of the meetings that giambra is at? I don't think I could look him in the face without saying something like "Who on earth blew smoke up your butt to the point that you think you should of been county exec in the first place". Don't these elected officials realize thier decisions and actions effect our community? Of course they should be questioned.
    no argument here.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    true. but thats press conferecne management, not the reporters. giambra is more than able to tell a reporter, "ask me that later." but barring a news organization (as inept and crappy as they are) is way over the line. if they are credentialed, they should not be excluded with the exception of gross and/or unprofessional misconduct (asking an off topic question, imo, is neither).
    Thanks for saving me all that typing.
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't want them hijacked.. I don't sit on this screen 24X7 looking for every instant it happens. There's too many posts. Just so you know for the first 3 years I could easily say I read each and every post. That's over 100,000 entries. I physically just can't do it anymore because I have businesses and clients to service.

I do try to catch it when it happens. I also would appreciate if it does blantantly happen pm me in a civil manner and tell me. A few of you GO off the deep end when it happens like I approve it happening or I'm telling people to do so. I dont. "Yelling" at me about something I DON'T even know is happening is silly.

Lastly if I move someone's post from a thread to start up a clean thread it's because I feel that posts wasn't on topic in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    We all stopped listening to Giambra a long time ago. Who cares if you're not "welcome" ... go anyways!
    He can't stop the free press.

I wish we could tell Giambra he's not welcome, go away Joel!
    I agree, he is irrelevant.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Could it be they were asked to hold off on "off-topic" questions relating to the news conference topic but didn't? Maybe they were asked to wait to the end to ask off topic questions but didn't? Could it be they were interrupting the main topic of the news conference yet continued to when asked not to? Just like some posters have done here?

Maybe they were banned. Being disruptive to the topic that the news conference was acutally supposed to cover.

Could it be they were asked to hold off on "off-topic" questions relating to the news conference topic but didn't? Maybe they were asked to wait to the end to ask off topic questions but didn't? Could it be they were interrupting the main topic of the news conference yet continued to when asked not to? Just like some posters have done here?

Maybe they were banned. Being disruptive to the topic that the news conference was acutally supposed to cover.
    reporters, contrary to popular belief these days, are supposed to be advisarial. whether it makes giambra's photo-op/press conference a bust or not, i don't care and should not be the concern of a reporter. i'd rather the media was rude more so than complacent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information