Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk "texting"

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    yeah, actually not my style but it was fun non the less.
    You're awright shortstuff
    Meow, baby

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    You're awright shortstuff
    thanks fiona...

What age is it appropriate for a child to have a cell phone?
    with the ongoing debate about radiation and potential health concerns, I would wait until they were in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    with the ongoing debate about radiation and potential health concerns, I would wait until they were in high school.
    The only "danger" from a cell phone is from non-ionizing radiation. It isn't residual. The type of "radiation" is the same as a microwave oven. Radio waves excite body tissue enough to heat it up from friction. The power from a modern cell phone is miniscule. It's not anything I would lose sleep over, nor is it likely to harm your child. You get magnitudes more non-ionizing radiation from an electric blanket, or even sitting next to a wall with electrical wiring in it.
    Meow, baby

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    It's not anything I would lose sleep over, nor is it likely to harm your child.
    It probably won't. But there is not enough data yet. The risk to children is higher becuase their brains are still developing. What might be 100% safe for adults may not be safe for a small percentage of children. Since there's no way to know if your child may be at higher risk... why take the chance?

Also, I don't know if what you said it true about microwave ovens. They're screened to prevent the radiation from escaping. But for argument let's say they're the same as phones. We don't walk around 12 hours per day with a running microwave oven strapped to our heads, so the phone is still impacting your brain much more.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    It probably won't. But there is not enough data yet. The risk to children is higher becuase their brains are still developing. What might be 100% safe for adults may not be safe for a small percentage of children. Since there's no way to know if your child may be at higher risk... why take the chance?
    Understandable and I agree. I've worked around high RF fields my entire life so I'm pretty used to all of it. The biggest thing that you have to concern yourself with is the eyes. The eyes are more susceptible to damage from a high RF field. That said, a cell phone still gives off a very tiny amount of RF. About the same as a baby monitor transmitter, which isn't much.
    Meow, baby

that's good to know! thanks.

Those are one of the factors scientists are claiming that the cell phones with its continual use, hours daily every day may cause some damage within the brain cells developing and the inner ear.

Same problem will exist with those ipads or whatever it's called where they listen to music. Big problem with hearing loss.

fiona, you hit on something I didn't know, you mentioned the electric blankets. They give off something like the microwave? I use an electric blanket. Never thought that would give off anything.

Domestic, you are right about the fact that kids are not talking. A month ago we went to Pinera's and three teenager's came in and they sat down and opened their laptops and not one word was coming out of their mouths, but they were laughing. They were communicating with each other via the laptop!!

I agree also, limit the kids with the phones and inject more conversation time. Last night around 8 o'clock, my grandson texted me, it stated "Hi grandma"...hmmmm

three teenager's came in and they sat down and opened their laptops and not one word was coming out of their mouths
    Epic Win!

So this texting is beginning to take over my life now. It appears that now I make sure my phone is charged. Before, the phone was always turned off or not charged. I never used it. Now that I have this new phone and have been texting quite a bit I am afraid to admit, it's the first thing I do~~charge it.

Geepers.....what's next I'll probably open a facebook account....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't even feel my crack berry on my belt anymore. It's just a part of me. I use it to get warning emails from our servers. No texting or internet surfing for the most part. Check your usage. I was wasting $30 a month I didn't need to. Was able to cut my bill because I never came close to the usage my plan offered.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't even feel my crack berry on my belt anymore. It's just a part of me. I use it to get warning emails from our servers. No texting or internet surfing for the most part. Check your usage. I was wasting $30 a month I didn't need to. Was able to cut my bill because I never came close to the usage my plan offered.
    I have a dinosaur old Nextel plan. I pay about $30 a month. Needless to say that I will not part with this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I have a dinosaur old Nextel plan. I pay about $30 a month. Needless to say that I will not part with this plan.
    I miss the phone I had the first time cell phones were a thing. The phone was big, numbers big and the bill was 9.99. Now we pay 120 that includes free texting, my hubby has the Droid and I have a Rumor with 1500 minutes.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I went from 110 to 60 or so....... that is more money into my IRA... Hope everyone tried to fund their retirement for 2010.. even if it's a little bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information