Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LVAC contracted extended while bid process review continues

LVAC contracted extended while bid process review continues

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_4472.shtml

It is no secret that I support LVAC as the town's first provider responder.

The $100,000 cost to maintain LVAC services (stated by Rural Metro) is a ruse. The town withdrew the $45,000 stipend they were giving LVAC and only point of negotiating the contract with LVAC is the $35,000 the town pays for workman's compensation for the volunteers.

Even if that $35,000 cost can't be absorbed by LVAC for legal reasons, it is my opinion that the community is better served with LVAC.

I couldn't agree with you more. Does the town think that Amherst, Clarence and Newstead went with another provider for no reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

The $100,000 cost to maintain LVAC services (stated by Rural Metro) is a ruse. The town withdrew the $45,000 stipend they were giving LVAC and only point of negotiating the contract with LVAC is the $35,000 the town pays for workman's compensation for the volunteers.

Even if that $35,000 cost can't be absorbed by LVAC for legal reasons, it is my opinion that the community is better served with LVAC.
    Is it only me, don't we give over 3 million a year for fire protection? Cant we fund LVAC out of that? All they need is $35000? That's less then one Chiefs vehicle! Are the fire companies against LVAC? Something is wrong here!

Lee, LVAC thanks you for your support. I think you do a great job documenting these minutes of the meeting.

Too bad you weren't able to hear the snide and childish comments that Mr. Adin Bradley made aloud towards Timothy Marshall & Jeffrey Bono when they walked to and from the podium. It speaks volumes to his character, and I did hear several people commenting on complaining to his Corporate offices. I sincerely hope they do.

A few items and then I'll leave them to discussion:

Jay Smith stated what Orchard Park is doing is illegal and they are talking to that town about it. The FACT is Rural/Metro is upset they decided to go with their own service, making all employees who worked at Rural/Metro make a less than 2 week decision to pick or choose. It's simply a big bully on the block syndrome.

Adin Bradley stated that LVAC employees were essentially his employees. The vast majority of full time employees on the paid staff are "former" employees, and there is a reason they are "former" employees. The same is true of OPEMS where the majority of their staff are "former" employees. The grass is greener on the other side, LVAC and OPEMS both treat their employees better. So the erroneous comment that "I augment the service" speaks to his egotistical character.

Adin Bradley also stated that they take over 1,200 calls in Lancaster....well that's not accurate. If you want to say you take 1,200 calls in Lancaster, then state the facts. Hence the reason Jay Smith had to get up and do damage control as usual when Adin speaks, only to slander & defame OPEMS himself .
    Rural/Metro responds to emergent/non-emergent calls in Lancaster. So statistically, perhaps they do take those calls. That is the calls at St. Elizabeth, Greenfield Nursing, etc. Those are not 911 emergency calls.Those are direct calls to Rural/Metro's dispatch from contracted facilites.

All LVAC does is 911 Emergency calls.

Additionally the CAAS Accreditation is nothing of substance. Acutally, I believe they have lost this accreditation. I will look into that.

Adin Bradley also stated ..."we have the resources".....today multiple times over Buffalo Fire "No Ambulances Available" was stated. Facts are facts

They take a little more than 300 LVAC Cover calls, which this is all about. That was also in 2009, which was a year with two less full time crews on.

The actual cover calls for 2010 will probably be lower than 300.

Yes a select few of the fire companies are against the LVAC. It's unfortunate but more so I believe it's Rural/Metro promising monetary kickbacks and equipment. That's the way they do business.
    Last edited by Darth Medicaid; January 5th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

In reading Lee's commentary I found a few things that Rural Metro stated that is of concern. One of which is that they called one aspect of LVAC's billing process (Medicaid/Medicare) illegal. They also made the same statement about other town's that have a different service, they are using the same statement, "they're process is illegal too.." I find that concerning that they are stating something that may not be true, or at least show the facts.

Like Lee stated about Rural Metro stating that it costs 100 thou to maintain LVAC services, apparently that is inaccurate also. Thus far, Rural Metro is being misleading and acusatory.

That affects credibility right away. Using the 1200 calls, also was misleading, it included non- emergency as well as emergency calls. If you are coming into another town and you want to introduce a service, I am all for free enterprise. Use credible and likeable sales pitch. The town does have the position to look for the best deal in town without jeopardizing the service.

However, with that being said I also believe in homegrown service providers that have provided a great service to the community. If it meant response time, excellent medical care and it costs 2 dollars more for that service, as a taxpayer I want the best over so - so.

In my opinion, is it really about 35,000 or much more than that?

I had to go back Lee and re-read your editorial, which was great by the way, anyways what struck me odd about the article was Mr. Giza to what appeared to be a "temper tantrum..?" What was he so concerned about that he was making comments like," badgered, take offense, TB runs the town, we call the shots...?"

LVAC understandably are fighting for their place in this town. Passion to stay as the primary service is natural. I am totally confused.

Hey Darth Medicaid,

Thanks for the info. And despite it is coming from am LVAC member it jives with what information I have received from ex-Rural Metro workers and that now work for LVAC - not a few, but more than a handful. They substantiate that LVAC provdes a better service, with a quicker response time, with better ambulances, and Lancaster staff who really care about their neighbors.

When listening to Mr. Bradley (Rural Metro) speak last night, it was obvious his salacious and demeaning remarks about LVAC initiated and set the tone for the down and down-and-dirty comments and accusations that followed

What I found most disturbing is that Lancaster resident Mr. Bradley took issue with LVAC on dismissing billing Lancaster residents who do not have the means to pay their co-pays. It is my understanding Rural Metro will send such bills to a collection agency and when there is no way the family or individual can pay the co-pay, their credit rating will be affected. Is this true?

And for Mr. Bradley to charge that something is illegal where town residents would look at this as being charitable is dismaying and sheds bad light on a company that wpuld try to wrest a business away using such tactics.

Mr. Bradley and his cohorts did not leave a favorable impression last night.

Hey Darth Medicaid,

What I found most disturbing is that Lancaster resident Mr. Bradley took issue with LVAC on dismissing billing Lancaster residents who do not have the means to pay their co-pays. It is my understanding Rural Metro will send such bills to a collection agency and when there is no way the family or individual can pay the co-pay, their credit rating will be affected. Is this true?

And for Mr. Bradley to charge that something is illegal where town residents would look at this as being charitable is dismaying and sheds bad light on a company that wpuld try to wrest a business away using such tactics.
    But yet they do the exact same thing for an employee's family should they need transport.

The town board has made a point in bidding out this contract which need not have been done when the LVAC stated that they would do without the $45,000 and would try to find a way to legally reimburse the town for the $35,000 or $60,000 or whatever amount for worker's comp coverage for the volleys.

The reps from Rural Metro's remarks about the LVAC helping out the less fortunate patrons of the LVAC ambulance service would turn anyone against Rural Metro. I would hope that would include our town board. Emotional or not, those Rural Metro people were cruel.

A question. In my opinion, there was no reason to bid out this contract. Is the board bidding out all their contracts? Like their engineering consultant contract with Wm Schutt & Associates, their consulting attorney contract with Hodgson Russ or was the ambulance contract bid out due to some palm greasing.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by stir the pot View Post
    Is it only me, don't we give over 3 million a year for fire protection? Cant we fund LVAC out of that? All they need is $35000? That's less then one Chiefs vehicle! Are the fire companies against LVAC? Something is wrong here!
    Ditto! Why is it the fire department always gets all the great perks??

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...03196&catid=37

Talking

Hey Darth Medicaid,

Thanks for the info. And despite it is coming from am LVAC member it jives with what information I have received from ex-Rural Metro workers and that now work for LVAC - not a few, but more than a handful. They substantiate that LVAC provdes a better service, with a quicker response time, with better ambulances, and Lancaster staff who really care about their neighbors.

When listening to Mr. Bradley (Rural Metro) speak last night, it was obvious his salacious and demeaning remarks about LVAC initiated and set the tone for the down and down-and-dirty comments and accusations that followed

Mr. Bradley and his cohorts did not leave a favorable impression last night.
    Lee,

Unfortunately the part of billing is true. I had a family member transported, did have to pay, and when she received her itemized bill it was truly disheartening. Besides being just a BLS transport, which she was charged a little over $900.00, a emesis bag (puke bag), which probably costs $.05 to make, she was charged $35.00 for just that. LVAC does NOT itemize bills.
    Rural/Metro is a typical corporation and don't care about the "customer", they want their money and if ends up destroying you, so be it. The "illegal" aspect he eluded to,LVAC forgiving co-pays for those who could not financially cover it was insulting as well as defaming of the Corps.

I was not suprised by his commentary, nor Jay Smith's. LVAC crews do care about the community they serve. Mr. Bradley eluded to that "many LVAC employees are not Lancaster residents"....the same could be said of him. He's a Lancaster resident taking care of the City of Buffalo, City of Niagara Falls, etc. Does he know the needs then of areas in which he does not reside? I never saw Mr. Bradley attending a standby event on the East Side of Buffalo, and of course you would never. Many of his employees are not city residents, yet they work in the City of Buffalo. The same is true of other areas. So he's not winning his case.
    Many Buffalo Firefighters and Police Officers are not residents, hell many live in Lancaster! I even knew of a Buffalo fireman that resided in Fillmore,NY
    It doesn't matter where you live, especially as an employee. As for the volunteers, most of the volunteer base does reside within Lancaster/Depew.
    His argument is just not sustainable.

Well as Mr. Bradley is a Lancaster resident, he just wants his company to be involved in the Town. I don't know what his grandeur schemes are, but I'm sure its nothing more than an ego boost for himself. Hence, going back to earlier postings and his close public associations with Mark Aquino, John Dudziak (Town Attorney), as well as others in Town government. It's backdoor politics at work. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Ditto! Why is it the fire department always gets all the great perks??

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...03196&catid=37
    Wow, itch thanks for posting that site, the part that was disturbing were the comments made at the bottom of the news article.

I hope Giza & Co. really take a hard look at what they are out searching for and what is the motive.

Question, (there seems to be a common denominator that keeps creeping up~~the fire department) what does the fire department have to do with the ambulance service?

Question, when you talk about monopoly, why is it that the fire department seems to be linked to the decision making process that involves the ambulance?

Question, why if the board keeps tooting "we need to save the taxpayers some dollars.." that they are squabbling over 35,000 dollars when you can clearly look elsewhere ~~ like the fire department, the town board salaries, the leaking faucets at the expansion of the 2.8 mil town hall that now is unocupied by the very people who thought they needed an expansion of space (oops), and the police department?

Question, this may be off base but I was just wondering, if the fire department does not get its' way, and they have contractual problems this upcoming year, are they going to bully our town and say, "we cannot put out any fires in this town....?"

One more question, does the fire department have a monopoly in this town?

There are certain fire departments playing against LVAC, mostly certain firematic officers in these organizations. It's sad, but this is the game of volunteer politics.

From a 12/27/2010 Rural/Metro press release, the following quote from a fire chief read:

“This event would not happen without the support that we receive from businesses like Rural/Metro Medical Services,” said Robert Eleczko, Chief of the Millgrove Volunteer Fire Department, and President of the Lancaster/Alden Fire Chiefs Association. “Rural/Metro is a true friend of the community and we are proud to partner with them to provide EMS services in Lancaster and Alden.”

For example, Rural/Metro has been sniffing around certain companies in the Town itself. Providing standby ambulances for events, even live burns, etc.

Sponsoring Christmasville this year was NOT by accident either. That is why they participated with the biggest and over the top float. Ironic though that they spent their money on that, and they didn't even provide employees on Thanksgiving any type of food, other than mini-sandwiches, oh and mind you too one shift only.

Currently, 4 Fire companies under the Lancaster Fire Control (which covers more than the Township of Lancaster) are served by Rural/Metro as a provider of services. Millgrove, Crittenden, Alden, and portions of the Town Line Fire District in Alden.
    The idea that these companies receive adequate response times from Rural/Metro is laughable. I believe Alden response times were 63% compliant, which is factual. Many times, Alden's ambulance from Rural/Metro is responding from Jim's Truck Stop at Walden & Duke in Cheektowaga. Rural/Metro provides an ambulance resource to Alden, however this ambulance is usually on an Erie County Home transfer or a Brothers of Mercy call in Clarence. Rural/Metro does pad the times, and has been known in the past to go back into the database and "tweak" times to make them more compliant.

Additionally, the issue EMS has everywhere are the fire companies. This is due to one factor, especially with regards to the volunteer fire departments. Votes, votes nothing more nothing less. FASNY and other powerful firefighting lobbyists in Albany have alot of political clout.
    Firefighters dictate response times, they can even dictate down to what type of ambulance responds (like a van or the bigger mod type). Unfortunately, it's just the way it always has been.

Lest I forget this recent article from December 2010.....note how the City of Buffalo, a professional paid department, was able to spend how much on how many pieces of aparatus:

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Three new vehicles have joined the ranks of the Buffalo Fire Department.

Friday morning, Commissioner Garnell Whitfield and Mayor Byron Brown were on hand to dedicate the two new pumpers and one ladder truck. The trucks cost the city about $1.7 million and they replace the three oldest vehicles in the fleet.

Mayor Brown said, "We want to make sure that our dedicated firefighters have the best technology and equipment as they're doing the difficult and dangerous jobs that they do."

The city has also opened three new firehouses in the past five years.

*I believe the new Bowmansville Ladder Truck, one piece of apparatus, cost roughly the same amount*

The City of Buffalo bought 3, including a ladder truck with no frills, for the amount the volunteers paid for one. But $35,000 to keep a community based ambulance service that could buy 6 brand new ambulances for 1.7 million dollars and have money left over is bankrupting the taxrolls of the Town of Lancaster? Makes perfect sense to me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information