Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alden Wal-Mart: Show us the money says Witt

Alden Wal-Mart: Show us the money says Witt

Its not difficult to see where Alden Planning Board Chair Ralph Witt's position is on this one - especially if you have attended any of the planning board meetings. So much for favoring small town culture or protecting the environment.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/118493.html

That Buffalo New article your linked too is a bit misleading, typical mainstream media using outdated info. The current project under consideration is for a rezone of 20 some acres, not the 90 some acre mega mall, gotta luv it. Now I'm going to restate my question from another thread....from where is Alden Residents for Responsible Growth getting their money? They are actively soliciting funds, they have paid for numerous advertisements and newspaper inserts, they have an attorney representing them, isn't it time for a public accounting of where the money came from and where it has gone? Why haven't they registered as a public interest group, why have they not filed financial reports...my guess, some of them are lining their pockets....one of their leaders has even offered to buy everyone a pair of socks!

Now I'm going to restate my question from another thread....from where is Alden Residents for Responsible Growth getting their money? They are actively soliciting funds, they have paid for numerous advertisements and newspaper inserts, they have an attorney representing them, isn't it time for a public accounting of where the money came from and where it has gone? Why haven't they registered as a public interest group, why have they not filed financial reports...my guess, some of them are lining their pockets....one of their leaders has even offered to buy everyone a pair of socks!
    I've asked that question, numerous times about the groups that fought the Lancaster Wal-Mart.
    If I was a betting man, I would bet that those people also made money off of that.
    What it boils down to, is that they're not so much "concerned citizens", but they're lobbyists. Nothing illegal about it - just unethical.

If they are soliciting funds from the public they should offer a public accounting of where and what they have done with the money. If they are taking funds for a stated purpose {in this case to stop Walmart} and are actually lining their own pockets...that is illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues
    That Buffalo New article your linked too is a bit misleading, typical mainstream media using outdated info. The current project under consideration is for a rezone of 20 some acres, not the 90 some acre mega mall, gotta luv it. Now I'm going to restate my question from another thread....from where is Alden Residents for Responsible Growth getting their money? They are actively soliciting funds, they have paid for numerous advertisements and newspaper inserts, they have an attorney representing them, isn't it time for a public accounting of where the money came from and where it has gone? Why haven't they registered as a public interest group, why have they not filed financial reports...my guess, some of them are lining their pockets....one of their leaders has even offered to buy everyone a pair of socks!
    The issue before the planning board is rezoning. But granting the rezoning triggers the potential use of all 95 acres, at least that appears to be what the town supervisor is saying. Sounds like he doesn't buy the claim that the wetlands on that property would never be built on.

Can't speak to the rest of your issues, since the story I read didn't focus on that.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I've asked that question, numerous times about the groups that fought the Lancaster Wal-Mart.
    If I was a betting man, I would bet that those people also made money off of that.
    What it boils down to, is that they're not so much "concerned citizens", but they're lobbyists. Nothing illegal about it - just unethical.
    I always figured their lawyer guy, Seeger, was being paid by the unions that cov er workers at places like TOPS. No one else would have that kind of dough, so to speak.

I don't really know anything about the Alden group, but I don't think the Lancaster group solicited funds from the public.
    If the Alden group is soliciting funds, I'd be less likely to believe they're making money off it. When you accept money from the public, you're obviously accountable to them.
    Just as you'd be accountable to, say, Top's for instance, if you had accepted money from them.

If they are soliciting funds from the public they should offer a public accounting of where and what they have done with the money. If they are taking funds for a stated purpose {in this case to stop Walmart} and are actually lining their own pockets...that is illegal!
    Why do you think they are lining their pockets? Do have some reason to think that? Some of those anti-Walmart battles do get pricey, obviously. But it seems like whoever is funding them would demand an accounting of where the money is going. Why would they let citizen groups rip them off? That doesn't make sense.

The Responsible Citizens group is actively soliciting funds from the general public. Visit their blog site...Save Alden....scroll back or check their banner announcement and you'll see they are urging donations, they also had a booth at the local farmers market where they were doing a fund raising raffle. To the best of my knowledge none of the leaders of the group is overly wealthy, and none of them have ever been known as charitable benefactors. Only one of them live in close proximity (about 2 miles) to the development site, one of them lives completely on the other side of town a good 6 - 7 miles away.

Now to major point....when you start soliciting money you become responsible to show where that money has been spent. The group was formed to affect public policy, which is their right. However, they must also follow regulations for lobbying groups and I suppose IRS regulations. Do I know they are lining their pockets, no I do not. But if they really are the responsible citizens they would publicly account for their finances.

The Responsible Citizens group is actively soliciting funds from the general public. Visit their blog site...Save Alden....scroll back or check their banner announcement and you'll see they are urging donations, they also had a booth at the local farmers market where they were doing a fund raising raffle. To the best of my knowledge none of the leaders of the group is overly wealthy, and none of them have ever been known as charitable benefactors. Only one of them live in close proximity (about 2 miles) to the development site, one of them lives completely on the other side of town a good 6 - 7 miles away.

Now to major point....when you start soliciting money you become responsible to show where that money has been spent. The group was formed to affect public policy, which is their right. However, they must also follow regulations for lobbying groups and I suppose IRS regulations. Do I know they are lining their pockets, no I do not. But if they really are the responsible citizens they would publicly account for their finances.
    Has someone asked the group to do that?

I think I understand your point, but this business of them lining their pockets looks like mud slinging to me -- especially since you have no reason to think so.

Fight fair. and please don't use this site to plant rumors. SUWNY deserves better than that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    He we are talking about the community not elected officials. Don't start a "rumor" jsut to start a rumor.

Where do all those groups that oppose Wal-Mart coming into their neighborhoods get their money from? You know like Alden, Lancaster, Niagara Falls, Lockport and about four others.

You know what? It's nobody's business where they get their funding from!

Why two people would question anyone on such a matter or accuse a coalition group with over 800 active members from a small community like Alden is crass to say the least. Especially considering the environmental issues presented by the group.

Never mind the potential pollution to the aquifer and the potable water it provides, or the 10,000 daily cars coming to a smalll town community that wants to maintain its small town culture and image.

Never mind that the planning board Chair is a boot-lick and for the developer.

Never mind that the owner of the property tried to drain the wetlands and was prevented from doing so by a regulatory agency. You can bet that they will slowly be drained in the future and that the 90+ acres of the property will be developed.

Never mind that there's a good chance Ellicott and Cayuga Creeks could be contaminated.

Lets just worry about where those people are getting their funding from. Who else but a town official, a developer, a realtor or a special interest business individual would ask such an insensitive question.

What a slap in the face to the ARRG core group for all their time, efforts and yes, their own money!

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    You know what? It's nobody's business where they get their funding from!
    I KNEW that would be your answer.

As I said earlier, I have no reason to believe the citizens group in Alden, are making any money off this.

Since this thread is about Alden, and not Lancaster, I will just leave it at that.

Thank you Rising!

Residents who have the community's best interest at heart should not be besmirched because they of little money are being supported by a benefactor, regardless that the underlying reasons of the benefactor may be to stop a Wal-Mart project- if that is the case in Alden.

What is important is whether the reasons and facts presented by the opposition outweigh the benefits of a project to the community.

They have every right to protest a project that negatively affects their property values and their quality of life. That's where the substance lies!

They are not trying to stop commerce from coming into Alden. Rather, they are working fevorishly to bring retailers back to the old Ames Plaza - which is all the retail they need and want.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Why do you think they are lining their pockets? Do have some reason to think that? Some of those anti-Walmart battles do get pricey, obviously. But it seems like whoever is funding them would demand an accounting of where the money is going. Why would they let citizen groups rip them off? That doesn't make sense.
    Elwood Blues probally wants a walmart or is on the recieving end some how. So what do they do? They start rumors to try to discredit the group.

They have to live with themselves if they are that type of person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information