Thread: Help Save The Historic Bethlehem Steel Site In Lackawanna

Help Save The Historic Bethlehem Steel Site In Lackawanna

Great Lakes Industrial Development LLC Purchases Former Bethlehem Steel Site In Lackawanna

Great Lakes Industrial Development LLC, a Buffalo-based real estate investment group, announced today it has acquired the former Bethlehem Steel Galvanized Products Division complex. The development partnership purchased the property from ArcelorMittal in a transaction finalized today.

The new owners plan to redevelop the sprawling 160-acre site, which also includes the idle Bethlehem Cold Mill, into a multi-tenant business park suitable for a range of uses, including light manufacturing, warehousing and back office space.

While no specific site plan has yet been drafted, Great Lakes expects to undertake a multi-phase effort that includes a combination of re-utilizing existing structures and demolition of others to clear land for new development.

We have to stop this! My Grandfather worked at Bethlehem and that abandoned Cold Mill is all that is left of my memories. Just who the hell do these people think they are?

WNY has a proud heritage as a steel producing community and all to often WNY tears down its history for the sake of progress!

I think there should be a flashmob - Erie County Cultural Funding style to prevent this.

They should have know better before they purchased this. I mean who the hell buys property on the water for reuse? I mean...land on the water is created every day...right?

Post some info of the buildings they are tearing down.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Post some info of the buildings they are tearing down.

No info yet. I guess they did not get the memo to check with the preservation community before they purchased anything or developed plans... Go figure..

their loss...

their loss...

I know right...I mean who the hell wants to change anything on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I know right...I mean who the hell wants to change anything on that site.
    It would make a great historical museum.. Do you know how many people worked there in its prime?

They could have a molten steel tour and bring thousands to WNY. Just think about all that new employment it could bring.. 1 person at the door to collect the $3 and then 1 to give the historical tour.

If they make it non-profit , the prices might be even lower because the property tax might be lower.

Collins could even throw in a couple of bucks because it is a cultural entity..

I would love to slide open the doors and look at that vast open empty space and reminisce how it once was..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

I doubt Lefty even knows what they're planning to tear down, or what the plans for the site have been all along. So the attempted irony here is noted, but pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    It would make a great historical museum.. Do you know how many people worked there in its prime.
    Since I didn't grow up in the area can you tell me?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

I doubt Lefty even knows what they're planning to tear down, or what the plans for the site have been all along. So the attempted irony here is noted, but pretty weak.

Does it matter what I know on this, because those side details really do not matter to people like you.

While you and I are on different sides...I am actually in the middle in regards to preservation.

I hate parking lots and I hate that grand historic buildings are left to rot. But I also feel that preservation efforts should focus on some things...not everything.

I think someone mentioned that preservation saved Grand Central Terminal in NYC. That is great. But do you know how many mansions were torn down in NYC? I was at the MET and stood in awe at the fireplace of the Vanderbilt mansion for about 45 minutes.

Places have to find a mix of progress and preservation. Buffalo does not have this. Now, I am sure someone will say these buildings do no harm but the fight to save them does. It creates and environment that is counter productive to delivering the capital needed to restore the real gems.

Lastly, my view on historic buildings is pretty simple. I know these are not the guidelines but I wanted to share with you.

Can a building be created again to the same quality today if there was enough money to do it? That's it.

The Statler, HH Richardson...never again can be made. The Larkin Admin..will never be made.

These grain elevators, if wanted, could be rebuilt today without any challenge.

You guys are nuts! Its a toxic waste dump and furthermore its not on the lake its on the other side of Route 5 by Lake Ave. By the way that prime waterfront you guys are dreaming about is SLAG!!!!! Dumped in there by the morons who ran the plant and who then built on it. You wanna save something please save the old office building and turn it into a steel plant museum! Most of the galvanized plant was destroyed purposely by Mittal when they left so they would have no competition. Flooded machines with water etc.

My mother's family is from coal mining country in Kentucky. For years, a major coal mining company conducted strip mining operations that literally devastated the landscape. I remember going there as a kid and marveling at the wasteland that had been created. Finally after years of devastation, laws were passed to prevent further strip mining and Peabody Coal Company was forced to fill in their strip mines and restore the land close to it's original condition.

Putting up a fuss about bulldozing the Bethlehem site because it's historic would be like my aunts and uncles in Kentucky protesting Peabody filling in their strip mining pits. I can't imagine any of them saying, "I used to swim in the strip mine pits as a kid and they hold fond memories."
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Thread Information