Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Well is there a market for grain elevator tourism?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I know you need a permit. I'm referring to people who want to tell people they shouldn't tear something down.
    Sounds like the same thing. A permit is basically a legal way of saying "other people are giving you the permission to tear something down".

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Sounds like the same thing. A permit is basically a legal way of saying "other people are giving you the permission to tear something down".
    Face the facts. A lot of stuff that local "governments" do is so that they can hire on the friends and family plans. Gotta keep that revenue stream flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    ^^ LOL. Fair enough. Demolition permit denied.

What is even funnier is the reality that regardless of if a demo permit is denied or issued, the building is coming down. It is either going to happen naturally or in a controlled environment.

The structure is not going to be saved. I guess you are a masochist in wanting to watch these buildings crumble slowly over time.

Yes that must be it. Thanks Lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    What is even funnier is the reality that regardless of if a demo permit is denied or issued, the building is coming down. It is either going to happen naturally or in a controlled environment.

The structure is not going to be saved. I guess you are a masochist in wanting to watch these buildings crumble slowly over time.
    Historic landmark designation cannot be forced on an owner. Pano knows that a good lawyer or two might be needed to enforce an owner's property rights, but it IS their right to demolish.

If the owners of this elevator want to tear it down, they are NOT legally obligated to present engineering studies or that their business depends on demolition. "Eligible for landmark status" means nothing - it isn't a landmark & never will be, as long as the owner objects. This place sat for over 30 years, useless and unwanted; it's too late to make it a landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Kowal View Post
    Historic landmark designation cannot be forced on an owner. Pano knows that a good lawyer or two might be needed to enforce an owner's property rights, but it IS their right to demolish.

If the owners of this elevator want to tear it down, they are NOT legally obligated to present engineering studies or that their business depends on demolition. "Eligible for landmark status" means nothing - it isn't a landmark & never will be, as long as the owner objects.

Interesting insight.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post

What is the addy to that building. I wanna see if we can google map it.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What is the addy to that building. I wanna see if we can google map it.
    339 Ganson St.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

View Larger Map

So that's the building we are all talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Kowal View Post
    If the owners of this elevator want to tear it down, they are NOT legally obligated to present engineering studies or that their business depends on demolition.
    Could you back that statement up with any sources? Because what you are saying is that the city permit process is completely illegal, which I really doubt is true...

The owners have already gone to city hall to request permission for demolition, and the city has tabled the request until it receives more information from the owners.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information