Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well is there a market for grain elevator tourism?

Great Lakes Industrial Development just bought Lackawanna galvanizing plant from Mittal. They plan on demolishing some buildings there. Look out boys the Preservationist are comming!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Already been down that road. Try keeping up.

Sorry, I was just following your lead on selective reading...

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Sorry, I was just following your lead on selective reading...
    It does make things more entertaining...

I would support partially tearing down the buildings that are too dangerous or can't be repaired. Especially if the company is going to add new business to the site. From what I've see, the company hasn't explained much, or promised much. And given the historic context of the site they should understand why more information is needed before calling in the bulldozers.

Maybe they are sincere in their plans. Who knows. But unfortunately, Buffalo has a history of demolitions based on BS info, or worse, late night demolitions without any approvals. Those actions haven't boosted our economy in any way over the past few decades so continuing the practice is idiotic. Now developers have to prove the demolition is necessary. I think that's an improvement.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Look what they dragged out

Old Buffalo Businesses

Old Buffalo Businesses

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Old Buffalo Businesses

Old Buffalo Businesses

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Old Buffalo Businesses

Old Buffalo Businesses

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Old Buffalo Businesses

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Old Buffalo Businesses

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Old Buffalo Businesses

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    2010_12_20_2984

Look up "Grain Elevator" in wikipedia and find how much they are tied to the history of Buffalo itself. The grain elevator was invented in Buffalo during the Erie Canal days. We were the largest grain port in the world for generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_elevator

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Look up "Grain Elevator" in wikipedia and find how much they are tied to the history of Buffalo itself. The grain elevator was invented in Buffalo during the Erie Canal days. We were the largest grain port in the world for generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_elevator
    I can completely understand, and appreciate, the fact that Buffalo plays an integral part in the history of the grain elevator. I agree with you, and anyone else, who thinks it's neat.

Having said that, suppose I bought one of those properties simply because I liked the land, and the location. And, suppose I wanted to tear down the now long-defunct grain elevator, and build a structure that's actually functional.

What argument would you present to me in order to convince me that I should keep this non-functional building standing?

Just so you know -- if your only argument would be along the lines that "it's historic," I'd most likely tell you to go to hell.

PS On a personal note, 300 miles - you know that I've always liked and respected you. And, I've long thought LeftWNYbecauseofBS to be a turd. So, it pains to me to on the same side of the argument as the turd.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I can completely understand, and appreciate, the fact that Buffalo plays an integral part in the history of the grain elevator. I agree with you, and anyone else, who thinks it's neat.

Having said that, suppose I bought one of those properties simply because I liked the land, and the location. And, suppose I wanted to tear down the now long-defunct grain elevator, and build a structure that's actually functional.

What argument would you present to me in order to convince me that I should keep this non-functional building standing?

Just so you know -- if your only argument would be along the lines that "it's historic," I'd most likely tell you to go to hell.

PS On a personal note, 300 miles - you know that I've always liked and respected you. And, I've long thought LeftWNYbecauseofBS to be a turd. So, it pains to me to on the same side of the argument as the turd.
    I'd say you were a dummy to buy a property with a grain elevator on it when there are vacant lots all along the waterfront where you can build your functional building. Save on demo costs and avoid the hastle- use one of the thousands of shovel-ready lots in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Anyone pushing to demolish a structure that has some (any) historic designation would normally be prepared to defend that decision. Obviously the basic questions are going to pop up:

What is your business plan?
    Why this site?
    Why demolition?
    Why can't the structure be repaired or reused?
    What would you build in it's place?

Those are really simple questions for a business. If the particular site is key to your business, and it can be proven via engineering studies that the structures can't realistically be repaired or sealed off, and can be proven they are a danger to people and workers, and you can show that you would grow your business significantly to offset the loss, then the request gets approved.

But if you walk into city hall saying the structure is "too far gone" yet haven't had an engineer even look at the building. And haven't provided any real proof that you couldn't work around the structures instead of demolishing them, and can't explain why you couldn't just use an empty site down the road instead, and don't provide any plan for how your going to use the site or create new jobs... then the city would probably deny or table the decision and tell you to come back when you have something to show them.

Wouldn't that be reasonable?

I'm no expert on the processes at city hall, but people on this site seem to think that owners don't need any permission at all to demolish something, and that this whole thing is only being debated because of some whiny meddling preservationists protesting outside the grain elevator with their tweed jackets and asthma inhalers. But the fact is that it's normal procedure to have to get approval for the demolition. And I find it odd that this company was so unprepared to answer even basic questions. I really don't think the process is so unique to buffalo. Other cities do the same.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information