Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well is there a market for grain elevator tourism?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Do the people who we pay to promote buffalo tourism have calls asking about our grain elevators?
    Ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Um, no. What I'm saying is that the developers should have known that the site they purchased was determined 7 years prior to be eligible as an historic preservation site. And therefore if they wanted a site just to bulldoze what was on it, they should have gone elsewhere. Also they should have been smart enough to know that bulldozing an historic site would raise some eyebrows and that it would require extra documentation of their intentions, which they were not able to provide. If they were not aware of the historic designation before they purchased it, then they must not be thorough enough to research their own investments.
    It's called caveat emptor.

Um, no. What I'm saying is that the developers should have known that the site they purchased was determined 7 years prior to be eligible as an historic preservation site. And therefore if they wanted a site just to bulldoze what was on it, they should have gone elsewhere. Also they should have been smart enough to know that bulldozing an historic site would raise some eyebrows and that it would require extra documentation of their intentions, which they were not able to provide. If they were not aware of the historic designation before they purchased it, then they must not be thorough enough to research their own investments.
    So what you are saying is the owner is being held to 'historic status' even though:

1. For 7 years the building has not been historic and has not been able to use any of the tax benefits that come with that.
    2. It is not confirmed the building will be historic in the future

How many years have these things been around? How many years out of use?

You and I have talked about building before. You know I am not a tear them all down thinker. I am all for saving great structures that can be saved.

But with these...I do not ever see them being saved. I pointed out the location and surrounding area..to which everyone ignored. That matters.

It is going to take Millions to simply try and make these structures safe. Just where in the hell does that money come from? If somehow that money is found...would you rather spend it here or on the:

• Statler
    • Central Terminal
    • H. H. Richardson
    • Greystone
    • AM&A's
    • etc

I also understand the scars from things the Larkin Admin building, Johnson Row Houses and the Humbolt Parkway. I understand the desire to fight for everything. But fighting for everything has really shown to be a path to not saving that much in the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    It's called caveat emptor.
    So true. Buyer/Investor beware of buying or investing money in Buffalo. Because if your idea does not gel with the people who really run the show..your money does not matter.

The reason that the owners of these elevators shouldn't be able to tear them down is because they remind me of when I was a little kid, my father used to take us down there.
    Yes, I expect individual property owners to pay for the preservation of my memories -- it makes me feel all squishy inside.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    The reason that the owners of these elevators shouldn't be able to tear them down is because they remind me of when I was a little kid, my father used to take us down there.
    Yes, I expect individual property owners to pay for the preservation of my memories -- it makes me feel all squishy inside.
    You'll be all squishy when a piece of grain elevator concrete falls on top of you.

You'll be all squishy when a piece of grain elevator concrete falls on top of you.
    ok. both of those were pretty funny...

Still what nobody has answered is why developers that want an empty site don't just buy one of the many shovel-ready sites we already have. There is NO REASON why someone should buy any historic site (or even potentially historic site) with the sole intention of demolition, with all the shovel-ready sites we already have in Buffalo.

There is no need to tear these down. Especially without proper review. The "falling debris" argument is equally bull**** because even if there was anything falling, the site is off-limits and non-public. It's not like the Statler downtown with public streets and sidewalks all around. The debris argument is the usual ploy for instant demo without debate.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Really though, I understand history and the value of history. Specially learning from past mistakes. I have been researching history "grain mill" tours and it's not what we have on the water front. It's more like the original wooden grain mill structures that weren't left to fall apart in the first place.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Still what nobody has answered is why developers that want an empty site don't just buy one of the many shovel-ready sites we already have. There is NO REASON why someone should buy any historic site (or even potentially historic site) with the sole intention of demolition, with all the shovel-ready sites we already have in Buffalo.

There is no need to tear these down. Especially without proper review. The "falling debris" argument is equally bull**** because even if there was anything falling, the site is off-limits and non-public. It's not like the Statler downtown with public streets and sidewalks all around. The debris argument is the usual ploy for instant demo without debate.
    Won't they grind up the concrete and stuff for salvage?

Really though, I understand history and the value of history.
    Won't they grind up the concrete and stuff for salvage?
    Really though, I don't think you do understand.

There's no reason to mark a site as eligible for Historic designation just to have a new buyer decide to grind it up for salvage.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I thought it was said it's not a historic site.

Thats funny.. Did the smell remind you of Cheerios?
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

As I pointed out before...all sites are not equal. I compared a site on the East Side to a site on the Buffalo River...to which you replied

I don't see how that comment has anything to do with what I posted.

Also to note, they do not want to demo the ENTIRE structure..just parts of it. A fact that you are ignoring.

Lastly, there is a MASSIVE difference between a historically designated site and a potentially historic site.

So you are an engineer as well? Jack of all trades eh?

While the risk of sh*t falling on someone is not valid...the stability of the structure is best left to engineers..no?

Question...if the proper review comes back that every.single.elevator is beyond repair...are you going to take the side that they should be taken down?

What about the cost? What if these structures need $50M to bring them into a good use that benefits the owner, neighbors and community at large? Just how far do you take preservation with no support to actually preserve?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Question...if the proper review comes back that every.single.elevator is beyond repair...are you going to take the side that they should be taken down?
    Already been down that road. Try keeping up.

... If they really are beyond saving, them I'm all for tearing them down immediately. But in most cases the developers and anti-presevationists merely use that statement to persuade people. There are many examples of other buildings that were "beyond saving" that someone luckily stepped up at the last minute to actually *gasp* renovate them.

Really though, I don't think you do understand.

There's no reason to mark a site as eligible for Historic designation just to have a new buyer decide to grind it up for salvage.
    I have to plead ignorance here, because I guess I really don't know how this stuff works...

I've been wondering, why the Preservation Board (if that's what it's called,) is even involved in this. Do they have to sign off on all demolitions in the City of Buffalo?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information