Thread: Alden Aquifer

Alden Aquifer

I recently graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, and wrote my senior thesis on the impact that the proposed development at 12270 Broadway may have on the local aquifer. The conclusion I reached is this: Due to the fact that it is the primary source of water for many of the residents, the land is topographically level with a shallow water table the water supply of Alden stands to receive of a considerable amount of contamination, enough that their may be a health risk associated with using this water once contaminated. I am in the process of creating a website with the paper and the maps I created while performing my study.

12270 Broadway - is this the site of the proposed WalMart?

Quote Originally Posted by geo1587
    I recently graduated from SUNY Plattsburgh, and wrote my senior thesis on the impact that the proposed development at 12270 Broadway may have on the local aquifer. The conclusion I reached is this: Due to the fact that it is the primary source of water for many of the residents, the land is topographically level with a shallow water table the water supply of Alden stands to receive of a considerable amount of contamination, enough that their may be a health risk associated with using this water once contaminated. I am in the process of creating a website with the paper and the maps I created while performing my study.
    OMGOMGOMG!!!!!

WE HAVE UNDERGROUND AQUIFIERS IN ERIE COUNTY?!

This kicks more you know what than beef jerky.

(Water filteration is a hobby of mine)

Is there a way to decontaminate this water? What kind of filtration is currently being used?
    “When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong." - Eugene V. Debs giving an accurate rendering Hamburg Supervisor Steven J. Walter's victorious win over the Boss of Hamburg.

Some interesting information GEO, along with the front page article from the Responsible Citizens Group. Now a few questions. What geographic area does the aquifer serve, what direction does the ground water flow and geographically speaking, where is the proposed development located in relation to the aquifer service area. Isn't there public water available and hasn't there been discussions in the past about connecting the other public water service area into the ECWA system? Did the Responsible Citizens group's expert do more study than simply walking the perimeter of the projected development area, where is the data to support his claims? Finally, the Responsible Citizens group has been spending and soliciting a lot of money from citizens...where has this money come from, when are they going to give a public accounting of their financial activities and when are they going to register as a political action committee?

A friend lived on Broadway about a quarter mile east of Sandridge Rd., up until 10 years or so ago. IIRC, he had both a well and a septic system.

What does Wal-Mart propose for their sewage?

No matter how you receive your drinking water, adding nasties into ground water, whether an aquifer or surface source tain't a good idea.

If Wal-Mart is having their sewage treated, then make them spend the $ to install a drainage system for their footprint, and send that to be treated, also.

However, if we are hearing all this Just Because It's A Wal-Mart, then I want to see it built for sure, albeit responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueEagle
    (Water filtration is a hobby of mine)
    Hi! Water filtration, treatment and pumping used to be my career.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    Hi! Water filtration, treatment and pumping used to be my career.
    Really?

Where did you work?

__________________________________________________ _________________

Is there a geographical map that points out all of the Erie County aquafiers?
    “When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong." - Eugene V. Debs giving an accurate rendering Hamburg Supervisor Steven J. Walter's victorious win over the Boss of Hamburg.

Quote Originally Posted by geo1587
    Did you have access to the property to do your research? I was surprised that the professor from Buff. St. was able to garner so much information from a walk of the perimeter only.

looking for GEO1587

TO GEO1587
    You posted that you wrote your thesis on the Alden Aquifer. I've emailed a couple of private messages to you asking if I can see your thesis, but have not received a response. Please contact me. Thank you.

Thread Information