Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Forward Lancaster Planning Committee meeting

NY Forward Lancaster Planning Committee meeting

Lancaster Bee Report

The first NY Forward Lancaster Planning Committee meeting was held on Tuesday evening, with its 15 members, comprised of area residents, business owners, and industry professionals, and joined by state-appointed advisers from LaBella Associates. NY state representatives were also in attendance to advise and discuss how the $4.5 million in NY Forward funding could be applied, including officials from the NYS Department of State, and a member of NYS Homes & Community Renewal.

The eight mock projects, as the official project proposals still need to be submitted, included:
    $912,000 of interior improvements to 1 West Main Street
    $706,875 in exterior and interior improvements to the Lancaster Boys & Girls Club
    $282,625 in “streetscape” improvements on Central Avenue
    $712,000 for improvements at the Lancaster Historical Museum
    $1,552,475 for interior and exterior improvements at the Lancaster Opera House
    $1,027,000 for interior improvements to make the former Masonic Temple into a wellness center
    $451,972 for a downtown mobility hub
    $285,000 for “wayfinding” projects to emphasize the village’s presence

According to Senior Planner at LaBella Associates, Norabelle Greenberger, all of the described projects, align with the NY Forward Grant program’s set of goals, oriented around an active downtown with enhanced public spaces, improving local commerce, and providing amenities that enhance downtown living.

As a safeguard to make sure that each proposal is given equal consideration based on its potential benefit to the community, the NY Forward Grant program maintains a code of conduct, mandating that committee members disclose conflicts of interest, act only in the public’s interest, and disqualify themselves from voting on a project if a conflict comes to exist. Committee members are required to identify potential conflicts at the first meeting in which a conflict presents itself. The state’s guidelines determine that a conflict could arise from instances of a committee family member’s benefit, incidental or otherwise. Guidelines also dictate that a conflict may occur if a committee member’s personal interests, financial or otherwise, interfere with that member’s decision-making. *

Comment

Unable to attend the meeting but interested in how the $4.8 grant money was going to be spent and the planning committee’s membership composition and how it was determined. I spoke with several individuals who told me differing versions. The Bee report did not fill all the boxes, so I contacted a few individuals who were present at the meeting and who I consider credible.

Every individual I spoke with reported on the unwarranted / insolent attack on Lancaster Councilmember Robert Leary by Planning Committee Co-Chair Paul Brown – Buffalo Niagara Building & Construction Trades Council. Brown went so far as to admonish Leary for his comments, telling him to ‘sit down and shut up’. Some individuals reported obscenities were used as well.

As others, I have no knowledge or seen information on the following:

Since several of the listed projects are town related, why was the town not partnered in the grant application? Except for Leary, why were no other Town of Lancaster board members present?

*Why were no town board members chosen to serve on the 15-member planning committee? If not to appoint politicos to prevent conflict-of-interest involvement, why is Village of Lancaster Mayor Lynne Ruda serving as planning committee co-chair?

In fact, who appointed the planning committee members? Who appointed Co-Chair Brown? An embarrassing first meeting presence.

Looking at the 15-member planning committee list, there should be recusals as there are members with personal interests.

Another good project, but one where fiscal responsibility is required. New York State grant money indeed, but still coming out of the pockets of New York State taxpayers.

That would have been great if that was a video recorded meeting.

Georgia L Schlager

It is about time that Karma bit Leary in the ass

Georgia L Schlager

A personal opinion, and I'm not going to qualify it any further than that because I don't have to or care to: Bob Leary is rude and ignorant. I'm speaking from personal interactions with the guy. People have started to notice and they are calling him out as such, and it's really nothing more than that. He's too much of a black and white, right or wrong kinda of guy. There is nuance in the world and many shades of gray. Sounds to me like Bob can dish it out but he can't take it. Frankly, sitting down and shutting up may not be the worst suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It is about time that Karma bit Leary in the ass
    Would it be a reasonable person to ask if you were even present. At this Lancaster NY Forward Committee Meeting? Or, like so many others that received information. Through rumors to guide themselves to respond. Just a wondering mind in attempt to rectify your post, Gorja.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteel View Post
    Would it be a reasonable person to ask if you were even present. At this Lancaster NY Forward Committee Meeting? Or, like so many others that received information. Through rumors to guide themselves to respond. Just a wondering mind in attempt to rectify your post, Gorja.
    I did not attend the meeting. I'm not a village resident. Mr Leary, himself stated at a town board meeting that the co-chair verbally attacked him and said he was threatening the whole thing and that Leary had no right to do this. Of course, if you believe Leary didn't tell the truth that he got spoken to, then I guess it is a rumor.. I'd say, he was finally put in his place.

Georgia L Schlager

I did not attend the meeting. I'm not a village resident. Mr Leary, himself stated at a town board meeting that the co-chair verbally attacked him and said he was threatening the whole thing and that Leary had no right to do this. Of course, if you believe Leary didn't tell the truth that he got spoken to, then I guess it is a rumor.. I'd say, he was finally put in his place.
    Hey Gorga:

I understand there was a NY Forward Committee meeting this week. Any hot rumors? Did Leary attend? Supervisor Ruffino or any other town board members?

Was Brown there? Did he speak up and make an ass of himself again by inferring the town had no stake in the grant - where Village Mayor Ruda had to call Leary the next day to apologize?

Leary was the only town board member attending the meeting to ensure the town's best interest was being served and you take him to task for it, and in the process support the blowhard?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Leary was the only town board member attending the meeting to ensure the town's best interest was being served and you take him to task for it, and in the process support the blowhard?
    I didn't attend or hear anything. I didn't take Leary to task for attending the previous meeting; I applauded Mr Brown for doing to Leary what Leary does to others. It's nice to hear that a bully was bullied.

In your first post, you were theone who reported what you had heard about the Leary incident.
    Every individual I spoke with reported on the unwarranted / insolent attack on Lancaster Councilmember Robert Leary by Planning Committee Co-Chair Paul Brown – Buffalo Niagara Building & Construction Trades Council. Brown went so far as to admonish Leary for his comments, telling him to ‘sit down and shut up’. Some individuals reported obscenities were used as well.
    Last edited by gorja; June 18th, 2023 at 06:55 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteel View Post
    The rumor was started in the first post -
    Posted by Lee Chowaniec:

Georgia L Schlager

I didn't attend or hear anything. I didn't take Leary to task for attending the previous meeting; I applauded Mr Brown for doing to Leary what Leary does to others. It's nice to hear that a bully was bullied.

In your first post, you were theone who reported what you had heard about the Leary incident.
    Fact: Leary was admonished by Brown as having no right to speak on the state grant and told to sit down and shut up. No rumor! Brown was wrong, Leary was right in representing the town, Brown acted inappropriately, attacked Leary, and you are okay with that.

Fact: You disrespect Leary at every opportunity and label him a ‘bully’. He is acting in what he believes is in the best interest of the community. What has he done to deserve the ‘bully’ label? Is it his demeanor or performance that causes your wrath?

Specifics, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Fact: Leary was admonished by Brown as having no right to speak on the state grant and told to sit down and shut up. No rumor! Brown was wrong, Leary was right in representing the town, Brown acted inappropriately, attacked Leary, and you are okay with that.

Fact: You disrespect Leary at every opportunity and label him a ‘bully’. He is acting in what he believes is in the best interest of the community. What has he done to deserve the ‘bully’ label? Is it his demeanor or performance that causes your wrath?

Specifics, please.
    Lee, you have your opinion of Leary and I have mine.
    We both are entitled to our own opinions.
    I'm sorry but I just can't stand the man's snooty attitude towards people
    if they don't agree with him.

He's very much akin to the FBI establishment in Washington. Is that where he got it from?

Georgia L Schlager

Lee, you have your opinion of Leary and I have mine.
    We both are entitled to our own opinions.
    I'm sorry but I just can't stand the man's snooty attitude towards people
    if they don't agree with him.

He's very much akin to the FBI establishment in Washington. Is that where he got it from?

Ah, so then your dislike comes from his demeanor – tone, brash, argumentative. He does tend to display that style at times.

At the same time, he does display confidence and commitment to act in the public’s best interest. He is involved – everywhere and at any time. Says what he means and means what he says. They often refer to that as leadership – not a quitter, not a go-along for self-preservation reasons.

He has stirred up a lot of pissants that are used to having it their way, or promised one thing when campaigning, and changing direction when elected or appointed.

Running unopposed for Supervisor for good reason. We will see how that works out as some are already targeting him without giving him a chance.

My opinion!

Off to celebrate Father's Day.

Happy Father's Day to all the other fathers, and the same to the mothers who made them fathers.

Masonic Lodge Hall

Regarding the Lancaster NY Forward Grant. When is it acceptable when our Public Taxpayer's Money. Is used for a "Pivately" owned building. Which is the Masonic Lodge Hall in the Village of Lancaster. This Lancaster NY Forward Committee is Co-Chaired by Mayor Lynne Ruda. And the complete Lancaster NY Forward Committee. Was hand picked by the Mayor herself! Does the Lancaster Residents really believe. That their is no Conflict of Interest or complicity in this Ruda Committee!This Lancaster NY Forward Co-Chair Mayor Ruda and Committee. Surely, has the stench of Mayor Ruda and her Subordinates! On the Lancaster Industrial Development Agency. Names change but the theme of Mayor Ruda's ownership and power hunger continues. While this Masonic Lodge Hall is destined to receive $1,027,000.00 of "OUR" Taxpayer's money!!! For a "Privately" owned building! Who's Owner is Metz that owns Beauty Pools in Lancaster. But, should any Lancaster Taxpayer accept that $1,027,000.00 is going to go. For a "Wellness Center" that a Lancaster Taxpayer. Can be a Member of this "Wellness Center" for a Membership Fee! I ask the Village and Town of Lancaster Tax Paying Residents. When will this abuse from these New York State Grants, Politicians who are misusing our Taxes. Local Politicians who are using our taxes for their own glorification and photo ops as Mayor Lynne Ruda. With New York State Residents the #1 Highest Taxed State in America! And all this abuse of our Taxes goes unchecked. And in the Political Realm in New York is all "legit"!!!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Ah, so then your dislike comes from his demeanor – tone, brash, argumentative. He does tend to display that style at times.
    Yes, that's it. That 'holier than thou' thing

Georgia L Schlager

Yes, that's it. That 'holier than thou' thing
    Really? That's the perception I have of Village of Lancaster Mayor Ruda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information