Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 Lancaster Central School District Budget

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by OutsidetheBox View Post
    Straight from Tara Romig's bio:

"Finally, I strongly believe in the importance of providing age-appropriate content and literature in our school libraries and curriculum."

That's a nice way of saying that she supports banning books.
    Just askin.... Registered in the Erie County Democrat party?

Quote Originally Posted by OutsidetheBox View Post
    Straight from Tara Romig's bio:

"Finally, I strongly believe in the importance of providing age-appropriate content and literature in our school libraries and curriculum."

That's a nice way of saying that she supports banning books.
    Personally, I believe that that is good parenting. Books having discussions of BJs and tasting ones vaginal juices are not appropriate in my opinion for school age children.

Maybe, i'm a prude.

Georgia L Schlager

It is best for the public to listen to the recording of last night’s Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) budget presentation and Meet the Candidates night forum to determine they’re May 16th vote decision.

https://events.locallive.tv/events/86527

The candidates may have had contrasting views on several issues; however, all were civil and articulate. A difficult spot to be in and I commend them all for their time, effort, and commitment.

Budget

Lancaster has a great school system, is recognized as a destination school district, and the budget presentation attested reason why.

Estimated tax rate

LCSD Superintendent Mike Vallely spoke on the estimated tax rate increase. The set rate in August is always lower than the May estimate which the district knows from past history. The recent newsletter says it will be $0.64 per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation. Today, I can tell you it is now $0.49 per thousand. It will still come down as time goes along; till we get to August. Business and development coming to Lancaster helps lower that estimate.

Resident addresses board on budget

Former School Board President Dave Zalinski was the only resident to address the board on the budget presentation, commenting:

Good morning to you all… It was nice to see and talk to you last night. I still miss the days of working with you and your team. Since I served on the board I have always supported since. But I am wrestling with this budget regarding the constituency – the taxpayer. And in particular transparency.

I wanted to resolve in my own mind how to vote this year. As I mentioned, for the first time I find myself on the fence for the candidates and the actual budget. To that end, I am asking for some direction from you to inform me for the following:

Since the district did not outline how they responded to the States allegation of misappropriated fund balances and reserves last August in the recently mailed newsletter, I welcome the opportunity to read what the districts response was to the State Comptroller’s Office. It is my understanding that the district had 90 days to respond and arrive at a “corrective action plan” to the States findings.

I have searched the Lancaster website under the “Board of Ed” tab and under the item for board minute videos. The latest one I found that is indicated on the website was November of 2022. I did not see any from December 2022 and into 2023. I would like to view those to see in particular the budget work sessions and the discussions the board had with the Administration. Please direct me where to locate videos from December 2022 through to the last board meeting in April.

Under those circumstances, how can I trust that the school board put this budget together in good faith.

Dr. Vallely’s response

Declared that the district did respond every time. The Comptroller’s audit is also on our website. We did respond to the audit accordingly.

Comment

It is imperative for voters to listen to the recording of last night’s meeting to hear what was said, to base their decision on what they believe in the best interest of the community; not based on emotion.

Unfortunately, I did not hear anyone ask how much money was in the fund balance, and/or why more of the fund balance wasn’t used to reduce the tax levy. In previous budgets up to to $11 million of fund balance was used to lower the amount to be raised by taxation. Is money being squirreled away for a future need?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    It is best for the public to listen to the recording of last night’s Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) budget presentation and Meet the Candidates night forum to determine they’re May 16th vote decision.

https://events.locallive.tv/events/86527

The candidates may have had contrasting views on several issues; however, all were civil and articulate. A difficult spot to be in and I commend them all for their time, effort, and commitment.

Budget

Lancaster has a great school system, is recognized as a destination school district, and the budget presentation attested reason why.

Estimated tax rate

LCSD Superintendent Mike Vallely spoke on the estimated tax rate increase. The set rate in August is always lower than the May estimate which the district knows from past history. The recent newsletter says it will be $0.64 per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation. Today, I can tell you it is now $0.49 per thousand. It will still come down as time goes along; till we get to August. Business and development coming to Lancaster helps lower that estimate.

Resident addresses board on budget

Former School Board President Dave Zalinski was the only resident to address the board on the budget presentation, commenting:

Good morning to you all… It was nice to see and talk to you last night. I still miss the days of working with you and your team. Since I served on the board I have always supported since. But I am wrestling with this budget regarding the constituency – the taxpayer. And in particular transparency.

I wanted to resolve in my own mind how to vote this year. As I mentioned, for the first time I find myself on the fence for the candidates and the actual budget. To that end, I am asking for some direction from you to inform me for the following:

Since the district did not outline how they responded to the States allegation of misappropriated fund balances and reserves last August in the recently mailed newsletter, I welcome the opportunity to read what the districts response was to the State Comptroller’s Office. It is my understanding that the district had 90 days to respond and arrive at a “corrective action plan” to the States findings.

I have searched the Lancaster website under the “Board of Ed” tab and under the item for board minute videos. The latest one I found that is indicated on the website was November of 2022. I did not see any from December 2022 and into 2023. I would like to view those to see in particular the budget work sessions and the discussions the board had with the Administration. Please direct me where to locate videos from December 2022 through to the last board meeting in April.

Under those circumstances, how can I trust that the school board put this budget together in good faith.

Dr. Vallely’s response

Declared that the district did respond every time. The Comptroller’s audit is also on our website. We did respond to the audit accordingly.

Comment

It is imperative for voters to listen to the recording of last night’s meeting to hear what was said, to base their decision on what they believe in the best interest of the community; not based on emotion.

Unfortunately, I did not hear anyone ask how much money was in the fund balance, and/or why more of the fund balance wasn’t used to reduce the tax levy. In previous budgets up to to $11 million of fund balance was used to lower the amount to be raised by taxation. Is money being squirreled away for a future need?
    That sounds like good advice, Lee. I will try to listen the recording before election day

Georgia L Schlager

Yes Gorga, it is imperative to listen to Monday evening’s Budget / Meet the Candidates Night recording to become better informed and in making the right voting decision. Unfortunately, one will have a difficult time ferreting out the political gamesmanship behind the scenes and all the BS and deceit taking place by the players involved in the budget process to control the narrative and voter outcome.

I don’t know of anyone who is not committed in providing students with an opportunity to get the best education and thrive thereafter. Anyone who is not willing to pay their fair share to see that happen. In this economy where taxpayers are sacrificing to make ends meet, where our pockets are being picked to pay for mandates and subsidizing private ventures we will never participate in, or benefit from, the voter has an opportunity to voice what lies in his or her family’s best interest.

Voters should know the three school board incumbents are openly endorsed by the Lancaster Democratic Party Committee and the Teachers Union.

It was disingenuous to put out a newsletter the week before the budget meeting, publish an outrageous $0.64 per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation tax rate, and declare at that Monday evening budget meeting that the district already knew that increase would be no more $0.49, and most likely lower; according to past history.

We are asked to sacrifice while the newsletter tells us that the district will not cut anything from their overall curriculum and to understand the 6.9% budget increase was due to inflation – like we didn’t know and at a time where the revenue stream significantly increased in State Aid, Sales Tax, Property Tax, etc., and where only $7.4 million was used in fund balance to lower the tax levy.

Vote your conscience! Vote in your family’s best interest! The budget has become more than ‘just for the kids’!

This is posted on the Facebook page of which I believe Sojka is part of.
    They are alleging that this is Lancaster Middle school reading material.
    If so, it shouldn't be.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...24671374296901

Georgia L Schlager

Yes Gorga, it is imperative to listen to Monday evening’s Budget / Meet the Candidates Night recording to become better informed and in making the right voting decision. Unfortunately, one will have a difficult time ferreting out the political gamesmanship behind the scenes and all the BS and deceit taking place by the players involved in the budget process to control the narrative and voter outcome.

I don’t know of anyone who is not committed in providing students with an opportunity to get the best education and thrive thereafter. Anyone who is not willing to pay their fair share to see that happen. In this economy where taxpayers are sacrificing to make ends meet, where our pockets are being picked to pay for mandates and subsidizing private ventures we will never participate in, or benefit from, the voter has an opportunity to voice what lies in his or her family’s best interest.

Voters should know the three school board incumbents are openly endorsed by the Lancaster Democratic Party Committee and the Teachers Union.

It was disingenuous to put out a newsletter the week before the budget meeting, publish an outrageous $0.64 per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation tax rate, and declare at that Monday evening budget meeting that the district already knew that increase would be no more $0.49, and most likely lower; according to past history.

We are asked to sacrifice while the newsletter tells us that the district will not cut anything from their overall curriculum and to understand the 6.9% budget increase was due to inflation – like we didn’t know and at a time where the revenue stream significantly increased in State Aid, Sales Tax, Property Tax, etc., and where only $7.4 million was used in fund balance to lower the tax levy.

Vote your conscience! Vote in your family’s best interest! The budget has become more than ‘just for the kids’!
    Being endorsed by the teachers union and democratic party is death blow to securing my vote. I want less of their influence in the educational process, not more.

We are in agreement, Gorga. If what you posted is true, this literature has no place in a school library. If the school board incumbents, Sage and Jackson, and newbie Talbot are willing to support smut in the school library under the guise of protecting all genders, providing a safe space for all, State mandated, etc., I am thankful there are candidates with the courage of saying ‘not in my school district’.

To further validate what you have posted, the following site expands on what books should be banned because of explicit sexual content.

https://momsforliberty.org/committee...101-lancaster/

I don't think there's anything wrong with explicit books, but they shouldn't be available in school libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with explicit books, but they shouldn't be available in school libraries.
    Yes, i totally agree

Georgia L Schlager

In fairness

I have received several correspondences from residents attesting there are obscene reading materials in the school libraries – age-related inappropriate materials.

I have been approached by individuals saying the school district would never allow such materials in their libraries. When I ask them why I have not personally heard or seen any denial by the district, board members, etc., of such materials existing, all I hear is crickets.

I do not have a Facebook account or any other social media accounts. If someone has information that obscene reading materials are not present in school libraries, please bring it to our attention.

School Board candidates Sproull, Romig, and Romig are being admonished for making an issue of the materials. Candidates Sage, Jackson and Talbot are getting a pass on the matter, as well as the school district.

The passage examples I have seen are disgusting – and I am far from being a prude.

In fairness

I have received several correspondences from residents attesting there are obscene reading materials in the school libraries – age-related inappropriate materials.

I have been approached by individuals saying the school district would never allow such materials in their libraries. When I ask them why I have not personally heard or seen any denial by the district, board members, etc., of such materials existing, all I hear is crickets.

I do not have a Facebook account or any other social media accounts. If someone has information that obscene reading materials are not present in school libraries, please bring it to our attention.

School Board candidates Sproull, Romig, and Romig are being admonished for making an issue of the materials. Candidates Sage, Jackson and Talbot are getting a pass on the matter, as well as the school district.

The passage examples I have seen are disgusting – and I am far from being a prude.
    Also, in fairness, it would be very hard to prove a negative.

Georgia L Schlager

I listened to both the Budget recording as well as the Meet the Candidates recording.
    The way I understood it is that the teachers and librarians are the ones responsible for the books
    in the school libraries.
    It kind of makes you wonder what goes on in the classroom with teachers like that.

Georgia L Schlager

That also means that a specific person requested these books. That should be public knowledge as well. Nothing occurs without a form.

Comments on today’s Buffalo News report on LCSD school board candidates

Sage and Jackson have teamed up with Talbot to campaign on the idea of "Lancaster is for all." The three candidates want the Lancaster Central School District to be an inclusive, safe space for students of all backgrounds. The Lancaster Teachers Association endorsed all three, union President John Abraham told The Buffalo News.
    The Lancaster Democratic Party Committee has also endorsed Sage, Jackson, and Talbot. As they say: Everything is about politics.

Dan and Tara Romig and Sproull are also running as a trio. Their platform centers around a desire for more transparency and communication from the current board.

The three candidates believe the board needs to better involve parents. "There's a lot of parents in the neighborhood that just do not feel like their concerns are addressed or acknowledged," Tara Romig said. "We want to do what we can to change that, to make (the board) more approachable for these parents, because they've been dismissed so much that now they just throw their hands up because they're like, 'What's the point?
    Transparency, openness, and trust have become issues of concern with many Lancaster residents.

Sproull told The Buffalo News she is running because she believes the board in November did not take some of her concerns about certain books seriously enough. She said none of the board members got back to her or addressed her concern, which made her feel "dismissed."

Sage said the board has a policy of not responding directly to people's concerns during public comment time for the sake of time and efficiency. He and Jackson both said district administrators will many times reach out to parents to follow up after a board meeting.

School Board president Sage says board or administrators do get back to residents in time. Sproull says: none of the board members got back to her or addressed her concern, which made her feel "dismissed."
    Who do you trust is telling the truth?

Dan Romig and Tara Romig share Sproull's concerns over certain library books – a national political issue that has come up in School Board elections across Western New York this year. "I personally believe that there should not be sexually explicit material, regardless of who's doing what to whom, in the school library," Dan Romig said.

One of the books in question is titled "l8r, g8r" (pronounced "later gator"). Portions of the book include descriptions of oral sex, mention of birth control pills and teenagers engaging in sexual intercourse. This book is in the Lancaster Middle School library, Tara Romig said, and shows up in a library online search.
    That is but one example of books containing obscene passages many believe inappropriate for Lancaster students – all in the guise of ‘inclusiveness and providing a safe place for students of all backgrounds.’

Dan and Tara Romig and Sproull said they don't advocate for banning books but want parents to have the option to approve what their children can check out of the school library.

Talbot acknowledged the validity of his opponents' concerns, but said he believes books should be considered as a whole for the value they provide.

"Some of the passages they reference, that's just a paragraph or a piece of the book," Talbot said. "You have parents out there that don't want the books in the schools, but then you have parents out there that think their child is ready for those books."
    We shall hear Tuesday evening how many parents and Lancaster voters believe Lancaster students are ready for ‘those books.’
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; May 14th, 2023 at 01:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information