Thread: Police chief appointment

Police chief appointment

I noticed that Captain Gummo was recently appointed to his Captain position on January 21 of this year.
    Were there any chief applicants with some more experience as a captain?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I noticed that Captain Gummo was recently appointed to his Captain position on January 21 of this year.
    Were there any chief applicants with some more experience as a captain?
    You answered your own question by saying he is the youngest Captain. As such there are two other Captains with more experience as Captains, but do they have more longevity in the police department? More experienced all around; more committed? Should the appointment be based on longevity alone? Not in my mind.

At least all the town board members had an opportunity to interview the candidates, and all candidates were town employees and experienced and qualified to fill the position.

Captain Gummo is qualified to fill the position and anyone I talk to feels it’s a good appointment.

Welcome Chief Gummo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    You answered your own question by saying he is the youngest Captain. As such there are two other Captains with more experience as Captains, but do they have more longevity in the police department? More experienced all around; more committed? Should the appointment be based on longevity alone? Not in my mind.

At least all the town board members had an opportunity to interview the candidates, and all candidates were town employees and experienced and qualified to fill the position.

Captain Gummo is qualified to fill the position and anyone I talk to feels it’s a good appointment.

Welcome Chief Gummo!
    One captain was promoted only 20 days prior to Gummo's promotion to captain this year.

I just assumed that a captain with more years as a captain would have been a fill-in for the chief when he was off on vacation etc. Therefore would have some chief duties experience. At least more experience than the two just promoted 4 months ago.

That's all my saying.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information