Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Patronage?

Political Patronage?

I noticed that Councilman Leary's 2019 running mate is up for appointment as Park Crew Chief.

He may be hired due to being a loyal Leary Republican. But he has a good reputation unlike the previous candidate and also a good education.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I noticed that Councilman Leary's 2019 running mate is up for appointment as Park Crew Chief.

He may be hired due to being a loyal Leary Republican. But he has a good reputation unlike the previous candidate and also a good education.

What is a ‘good Leary Republican’?

Why didn’t Leary sponsor the resolution to hire Stutz for the crew chief position a few months ago? Didn’t Leary sponsor a resolution to hire Carmen Ciccarelli and it was denied.

Why is Ruffino sponsoring the resolution Monday, not Leary?

What credentials does Stutz have qualifying him for the Parks Crew Chief position? Is he, or has he ever been a town employee?

When the job didn’t need filling a few months ago, when Deputy Highway Superintendent Barbaro hired with the understanding she would temporarily remain Crew Chief, where I was told she was doing an excellent job and wanted to keep the arrangement, suddenly, the position needs filling.

And the resolution is sponsored by Ruffino, yet you claim Leary influence. Patronage indeed but I don’t believe it’s because of Leary.

Most important is what are Stutz’s job qualifications making him even eligible for the position?

Gorga’s Leary witch-hunt continues!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    When the job didn’t need filling a few months ago, when Deputy Highway Superintendent Barbaro hired with the understanding she would temporarily remain Crew Chief, where I was told she was doing an excellent job and wanted to keep the arrangement, suddenly, the position needs filling.
    This letter makes it sound like Ms Barbaro doesn't want to do it anymore due to the adverse working conditions, what ever they are.

What credentials does Stutz have qualifying him for the Parks Crew Chief position?
    Maybe, he has a managerial background with a MBA , owned his own business the last 3+ years.
    He is the director of the Lancaster baseball indoor Training Facility in Westwood park.
    He is the chairman of the Lancaster booster club.
    He is the owner and general manager of the Lancaster Legion Baseball team
    He is President of the Lancaster Depew Miracle league which inspired the changing of Dawson field into an ADA accessible playground and baseball field for those with disabilities.

Michelle Barbaro was a clerk typist prior to being appointed to the position. I don't know what her experience was but she did a great job.

Why is Ruffino sponsoring the resolution Monday, not Leary?
    As I said in the original post, he has a good reputation unlike the previous candidate and also a good education.
    Sometimes, it's better to go outside than promote someone within with a shady work ethic background.

Georgia L Schlager

This letter makes it sound like Ms Barbaro doesn't want to do it anymore due to the adverse working conditions, what ever they are.

Maybe, he has a managerial background with a MBA , owned his own business the last 3+ years.
    He is the director of the Lancaster baseball indoor Training Facility in Westwood park.
    He is the chairman of the Lancaster booster club.
    He is the owner and general manager of the Lancaster Legion Baseball team
    He is President of the Lancaster Depew Miracle league which inspired the changing of Dawson field into an ADA accessible playground and baseball field for those with disabilities.

Michelle Barbaro was a clerk typist prior to being appointed to the position. I don't know what her experience was but she did a great job.

As I said in the original post, he has a good reputation unlike the previous candidate and also a good education.
    Sometimes, it's better to go outside than promote someone within with a shady work ethic background.

I really appreciate the exchange, the opportunity to share insights, and to learn. I am having difficulty connecting the dots on your recent post. Clarification, please.

Barbaro resigned on March 6th from her Parks, Recreation, Forestry, and Buildings Crew Chief position – filled by her temporarily for a stipend. Leary offered a resolution earlier in the year to fill the position and it was voted down – and the public was informed there was no need to fill the position that Barbaro was doing an excellent job and was willing to continue in that temporary arrangement. Now we will fill that position for $59,280 (on step), eventually $68,172.

Barbaro resigns citing ‘adverse work environment’. The position now has to be filled. Highway Superintendent John Pilato recommends Bruce E, Stutz for the crew chief position. Supervisor Ronald Ruffino sponsors the resolution to make it happen. But according to you, this is Leary’s guy!

Questions:

You stated this was a patronage hiring and implied Leary influenced it’s taking place. Is that still your position.

Barbaro’s letter of resignation states “adverse work environment’. What does that really imply? Workers, management, Town Supervisor, or Councilmember Leary as you appear to imply? Numerous resignations took place this year in several departments and not all letters of resignation appeared in the communications because some were considered ‘toxic’ and not in the best interest of the town. Yet Barbaro’s got into communications.

You claim Stutz is Leary’s loyal minion, that his hiring is patronage, yet give reasons why he is qualified for the position. I never met or spoke to the individual, but like you like to say ‘wonder’ of the need to ‘hire outside’ someone who was never a town employee in any position.

The position was posted. Were there any other applicants who submitted resumes? In fact, did Mr. Stutz submit a resume that would indicate he has experience and qualifications that meet the requirements of Parks crew chief – like ‘at least 4 years of general maintenance or construction work.’ Or: ‘good knowledge of buildings and grounds maintenance procedures; ability to perform a variety of unskilled maintenance and repair tasks.’

Lastly, you wrote: Sometimes, it's better to go outside than promote someone within with a shady work ethic background. If this person has such a shady work ethic, why was this individual not terminated? This same individual you refer to has received several acknowledgements for services provided beyond his job description and yet you vilify him.

Political / patronage, indeed! No other resumes for the position received. Seriously? No one from the town interested. Seriously? Whose guy is Stutz really?

Politics as usual!

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, a resolution to appoint Bruce Stutz to the position of Park Crew Chief in the Town of Lancaster Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department, including Building & Grounds, was tabled. Town Highway Superintendent Joh Pilato recommended the appointment and Supervisor Ronald Ruffino sponsored the resolution.

In Supervisor Ruffino’s absence Councilmember Dave Mazur was appointed to take his place to conduct the meeting. When the resolution came up for vote, Mazur declared the resolution was being ‘pulled’ (tabled) by request of a board member.

Questions abound:

Which Councilmember requested the pulling of the resolution for future vote?

Was the request to delay the vote until the return of Supervisor Ruffino and a likely ‘yes’ vote as he was sponsoring the resolution – else there may have been a 2 ‘yes’, 2 ‘no’ vote tie which would have denied approval?

If Stutz is appointed by a 3-2 future vote, it will be interesting to see how the vote was split – and whether Stutz’s approval vote was influenced by Mr. Leary, as some have claimed.

Or was the resolution tabled for further review because Mr. Stutz’s appointment could be deemed arbitrary and capricious. The position was posted, but in the entire process no public information was provided regarding:

• Number of applicants vying for the position. Was Stutz the solo applicant?

• Resumes which would assure the public the most qualified individual was chosen. Was Stutz the only applicant?

• Who did the candidate interviewing / vetting to determine ‘best candidate’ based on education, town employee experience, like experience in similar position applied for, Was Stutz the only applicant?

• What do we know about Mr. Stutz? We have not seen his resume.

Yes, Gorga, it does appear patronage / favoritism is at play considering the process. We shall see how that plays out.

More Patronage

More patronage jobs for Leary & Friends. 1st he filled a town highway job by giving it to his petition signature buddy & now another patronage job being handed out to Stutz.
    While I can agree that Stutz is definitely 100% more qualified for that position than Ciccarelli will ever be but what was the hiring process, was this job posted to all residents??? Who did the vetting/interviews??? We’re all qualified candidates given the same opportunity to interview??? Looks to me like a lot of back door deals going on but that’s expected from the Sojka/Leary Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
    More patronage jobs for Leary & Friends. 1st he filled a town highway job by giving it to his petition signature buddy & now another patronage job being handed out to Stutz.
    While I can agree that Stutz is definitely 100% more qualified for that position than Ciccarelli will ever be but what was the hiring process, was this job posted to all residents??? Who did the vetting/interviews??? We’re all qualified candidates given the same opportunity to interview??? Looks to me like a lot of back door deals going on but that’s expected from the Sojka/Leary Clan
    BuffaloBob, totally agree regarding Ciccarelli.

The job is posted on the town website. The notice states it was dated March 6th.
    But looking at the porperties of the posting it was created on March 9th. Resumes/applications had to be in by March 31st.

Michelle Barbaro's letter was dated March 6th.

https://lancasterny.gov/document-cen...df-1/file.html

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    At Monday evening’s town board meeting, a resolution to appoint Bruce Stutz to the position of Park Crew Chief in the Town of Lancaster Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department, including Building & Grounds, was tabled.
    Hmmm, was it tabled?

Georgia L Schlager

Hmmm, was it tabled?

I am sure you know it was pulled. It was announced twice at the 4-17-2023 town board meeting by Councilmember Dave Mazur who filled in for Supervisor Ruffino who was vacationing in Florida.

Check the livestreaming of the meeting video. At the 16:40 minute mark of the work session Mazur announced that resolution 15 (appointing Stutz as Park’s Crew Chief) was pulled). At the 1:13:24 minute mark Mazur again announced the resolution was being pulled “per request of councilmember.”

It leaves to ask where this publication came from. It opens a new can of worms. From the tabling that took place on the 17th it becomes obvious there was a 2-2 split vote, and the request came about because they wanted to wait for Ruffino’s return to break the tie - otherwise the resolution would have died.

It is obvious Stutz will be appointed to the Park’s Crew Chief position. It is obvious that Highway Superintendent John Pilato favors his appointment as he recommended it. However, the report you posted has him named Crew Chief, and he is not. As an individual who is not employed in any capacity in the town, why was he at this event?

As we have not heard of any other applicants for the position or seen any resumes posted on the website communications, not even Stutz’s, I agree with you that this appears to be a patronage appointment. You claim it is Leary influenced appointment. Monday evening we will see which Councilmember votes along with Supervisor Ruffino and Councilmember Mazur.

Campaign promised openness and transparency at play here, not so much.

Yes, Lee. I know it the appointment resolution was pulled.
    I just thought it was nervy of Sojka to put it out as a fact.
    He could of used the word 'future'

Georgia L Schlager

Yes, Lee. I know it the appointment resolution was pulled.
    I just thought it was nervy of Sojka to put it out as a fact.
    He could of used the word 'future'
    I asked you where this publication came from. You say Sojka put it out and as fact, and that he could have said ‘future.’ Are you saying Sojka published the report? That Stutz has not been appointed yet and won’t be until Monday?

Then I have to ask you why Stutz is in the picture with Pilato and why Stutz is referred in the report as Parks Crew Chief? He can’t be appointed crew chief without a formal resolution and board vote, right?

This is all Sojka’s doing? Really? Confused – Stutz appears to be on the job already, especially when in the company of Pilato, and he has not been appointed yet? Clarification, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I asked you where this publication came from. You say Sojka put it out and as fact, and that he could have said ‘future.’ Are you saying Sojka published the report? That Stutz has not been appointed yet and won’t be until Monday?

Then I have to ask you why Stutz is in the picture with Pilato and why Stutz is referred in the report as Parks Crew Chief? He can’t be appointed crew chief without a formal resolution and board vote, right?

This is all Sojka’s doing? Really? Confused – Stutz appears to be on the job already, especially when in the company of Pilato, and he has not been appointed yet? Clarification, please.

Of course this is political patronage. These individuals tend to have little professional competency to be successful in the private sector, thus their reliance on public sector for employment. You get what you vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

No, Lee.I'm saying when Sojka put out the pics and the statement on the Lancaster Republicans Facebpook page that read,"Lancaster Highway Superintendent John Pilato and Lancaster Parks Crew Chief Bruce Stutz are currently touring Court Street and Hillview Elementary Schools."

Maybe it should have read, Lancaster Highway Superintendent John Pilato and FUTURE Lancaster Parks Crew Chief Bruce Stutz are currently touring Court Street and Hillview Elementary Schools.

Georgia L Schlager

No, Lee.I'm saying when Sojka put out the pics and the statement on the Lancaster Republicans Facebpook page that read,"Lancaster Highway Superintendent John Pilato and Lancaster Parks Crew Chief Bruce Stutz are currently touring Court Street and Hillview Elementary Schools."

Maybe it should have read, Lancaster Highway Superintendent John Pilato and FUTURE Lancaster Parks Crew Chief Bruce Stutz are currently touring Court Street and Hillview Elementary Schools.

Your posts and views concerning Leary and Sojka’s involvement in Bruce Stutz’s appointment as Parks Crew led me to do some research.

Supervisor Ruffino is sponsoring a resolution to appoint Stutz at the upcoming Monday evening town board meeting, May 1st: BE IT RESOLVED, that Bruce Stutz, be and is hereby appointed to the position of Park Crew Chief in the Town of Lancaster Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department, including Building & Grounds, effective April 24, 2023.

Note the effective date of employment, April 24, 2023. It appears Mr. Sojka’s Facebook post has legitimacy considering Mr. Stutz has been on the job since Monday this week – according to the photos on Sojka’s Facebook post and that he has been seen other places in the capacity of Parks Crew Chief.

At the April 4th town board meeting Ruffino’s resolution to hire Stutz was tabled because Ruffino was out of town and the vote must have been split 2-2 to hire Stutz. The resolution was pulled at the request of a councilmember. The resolution is back on, Ruffino is home, and the outcome appears certain, Stutz will be officially appointed Parks Crew Chief Monday evening.

Gorga, we both know that Mazur is a yes vote. Supervisor Ruffino is a ‘yes’ vote. Mazur ss Chair the evening of the April 4th meeting openly stated that a councilmember requested the tabling. We shall see Monday who that councilmember is if the vote comes in at 3-2 – if the two ‘no’ voters don’t change their votes because they are simply throw-away votes.

How could he be on the job before he is officially appointed by Town resolution? Well, it appears that he has the majority votes to assure that hiring takes place, and that appointment took place prematurely. I hear that procedure has happened in the past and is legal. In 25 years of religiously attending board meetings, or now watching the livestreaming of the meetings, I don’t remember it happening at that level – nonunion appointed positions.

I never met or talked to Mr. Stutz; I don’t know anything about Mr. Stutz because his resume was never posted, anywhere. Nor do I know whether / how many applicants applied for the position. The whole hiring process here stinks. When I hear that Stutz was pre-appointed because he had the votes – and hear that was legal and had been done in the past, that process subverts the intent of good governance openness / transparency, and smells of backdoor deals. That nonsense should end.

No information on number of applicants, no resumes, individual begins job prior to official hiring, and we are to think patronage is not involved. Monday evening we get to see who casts that third ‘yes’ vote!

If Leary casts the ‘yes’ vote your allegations that he influenced Stutz’s appointment are correct. If not Leary, be prepared to eat crow!

I guess, I'll have to eat crow now as you pointed out the appointment was in effect on Monday. So Sojka was right in assigning Stutz the title in his post.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information