Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political Patronage?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I guess, I'll have to eat crow now as you pointed out the appointment was in effect on Monday. So Sojka was right in assigning Stutz the title in his post.
    Unfortunately, there are times we are being played by some of the politicos we trusted and lent our support to. It is difficult to trust anyone in today's political or media worlds. Our opinions too often are based on the BS being fed us.

OMG, I'm happily eating crow. I love seeing two of the Republicans not kowtowing to Leary.

Georgia L Schlager

I wonder if Mr Ciccarelli will have an insubordinate attitude.

Georgia L Schlager

Bruce Stutz was officially appointed Lancaster Parks Crew Chief Monday evening by resolution. Supervisor Ruffino and Councilmembers David Mazur and Mark Burkard voting ‘yes’, Councilmembers Adam Dickman and Robert Leary voting ‘no’. Stutz has been serving as crew chief since April 24 as he had priority majority board approval.

Parks laborer and crew chief Carmen Ciccarelli, who had been denied the Parks Crew Chief position by resolution on January 3, 2023, addressed the board at the pre-filed resolution public comment session.

Carmen Ciccarelli: Did you get my resume?

Supervisor Ruffino: I believe your resume came in prior. You were interviewed for the position.

Ciccarelli: No, not this time. I was interviewed in the past (denied Crew Chief position on January 3, 2023, by 3-2 resolution vote). Then Councilmember Burkard decided to take over and decided to change things.

Councilmember Burkard: No, what happened was…

Ciccaralli: Are you on the Rec. Committee?

Burkard: As a board we vote as to who will be appointed to that position. The board voted 3-2 for now.

Ciccarelli: Are you on the Rec. Committee?

Burkard: I was asked by the Supervisor to sit in on the interviews.

Ciccarelli: Who did the interviews?

Supervisor Ruffino: Actually, it was run by (Highway Superintendent) Pilato. The board assigned John Pilato to run that.

Ciccarelli: So, John ran the interviews?

Ruffino: John ran the interviews, selected the person, I went over who he selected and agreed with the selection and actually added one more person, and the interviews were conducted. He excused himself from a couple of interviews because he was close to the participant.

Ciccarelli: How many people did you interview?

Ruffino: Four. We were very satisfied with two of the people.

Ciccarelli: Were they fully qualified? Able to operate the equipment?

Ruffino: Fully qualified to do the position.

Voting time

Councilmember Dickman declared that considering all candidates were not interviewed, that he asked to see the applications and resumes on March 27th and has not seen them yet, he voted ‘no’. “Because it wasn’t done the right way, I am going to vote “no”.

Councilmember Leary echoed Councilmember Dickman’s words, stating he also was not part of the process. Wished Stutz the best in his new position but could not vote approval because of the process.

Comment

The process was indeed flawed, leading to the appearance of patronage and where the wrong Councilmember being accused of using undue influence. I thought it was irregular having the position posted and where the public was never informed of the number of applicants or saw any resumes. Two Councilmembers also attesting to not being involved in the process. Deceitful! Outrageous!

Politics as usual.

BTW Gorga: You don't think Ciccarelli should be upset? 20+ years on the job, now as laborer - crew chief, submits a resume but doesn't get interviewed, and where the guy getting the position has not worked one day for the town in any capacity? And no Gorga, Stutz was appointed by Democrat Ruffino, RINO Mazur, and Burkard - not two Republicans, or Leary as you claimed it would be. As incorrect as when you and Ruffino charged Leary as being the harasser causing all the resignations in Ruffino's department.

I remember when Michelle Barbaro initially got the position of park's crew chief, Mr Ciccarelli allegedly refused to mow.
    20 years on the job is not a guarantee of a promotion. As was said about the police chief endorsement, the captain experience didn't mean squat but at least Gummo is a dog person. Ciccarelli's past performance hasn't changed since his interview in January. So, what was the need of a second interview?

Sometimes it's best to hire a manager from the outside. Maybe, this is one of those times, no baggage.
    Remember Ciccarelli cared so much about our town that he didn't feel like paying our taxes to pay him his wages. In the end, he sold his house and paid them off.

What a joke? Now, all of a sudden Mazur and Burkard are not Republicans because they didn't tow Leary's line.

On the Anderson's custard resolution, three Republicans voted 'Yes' and Leary voted 'No'.

On a side note, will Lancaster Conservative party chair, Deb Lemaster be appointed to the Ethics committee to assure Burkhard, Dickman and Leary's future Conservative party endorsements?

Georgia L Schlager

Gorga: I remember when Michelle Barbaro initially got the position of park's crew chief, Mr Ciccarelli allegedly refused to mow.
    20 years on the job is not a guarantee of a promotion. As was said about the police chief endorsement, the captain experience didn't mean squat but at least Gummo is a dog person. Ciccarelli's past performance hasn't changed since his interview in January. So, what was the need of a second interview?
    Sometimes it's best to hire a manager from the outside. Maybe, this is one of those times, no baggage.
    My take on the flawed process:

January 3, 2023: Leary sponsors a resolution to appoint Ciccarelli Parks, Recreation, Forestry & Buildings Crew Chief. He and Dickman vote ‘yes,’ Ruffino, Mazur, and Burkard vote ‘no.’

Barbaro remains temporary Crew Chief until she resigns on March 6th, claiming toxic climate. Unable to fulfill Parks managerial responsibility, she remains Deputy Highway Superintendent – same responsibilities / obligations. Parks position remains vacant until April 24 when its filling is deemed a necessity and Stutz is appointed because the board had the majority vote – bypassing Leary and Dickman involvements; not providing them with applicant names or resumes.

Ciccarelli deemed a failure by you is unacceptable and not worthy of another interview even though he submitted a resume. Stutz who lost in the 2019 Council seat election, low vote receiver who did little campaigning, is considered committed and qualified for the Parks position. Not qualified by NYS Municipal Law standards as well.

Ciccarelli opened a door that showed how flawed this hiring practice was.

What a joke? Now, all of a sudden Mazur and Burkard are not Republicans because they didn't tow Leary's line.
    Burkard and Mazur are registered Republicans. Mazur was endorsed for office by the Democrats, elected on the Democratic ballot line – never endorsed by the Republicans, votes like a RINO.

On the Anderson's custard resolution, three Republicans voted 'Yes' and Leary voted 'No'.
    Wow! Another irrelevant, hateful shot at Leary. Cancel culture is alive in Lancaster.

On a side note, will Lancaster Conservative party chair, Deb Lemaster be appointed to the Ethics committee to assure Burkhard, Dickman and Leary's future Conservative party endorsements?
    Side note? Seriously? What does this have to do with the thread you started? With Lemaster, Sojka? In fact, with your false Leary allegations of influence when he was left out of the process.

Stay focused. Don't detract!

Are you saying that if Dickman and Leary had been a part of the interviewing process that Burkhard, Mazur and Ruffino's votes would have been different? Really???

Georgia L Schlager

Are you saying that if Dickman and Leary had been a part of the interviewing process that Burkhard, Mazur and Ruffino's votes would have been different? Really???
    Ciccarrelli is the quintessential political patronage appointee. He has a limited skill set and work ethic that would not transition into any other industry other then public service. In the private sector, he would be terminated rather then up for promotion.

Again, you get what you vote for.

Read again what I previously wrote, carefully.

Councilmember Dickman declared that considering all candidates were not interviewed, that he asked to see the applications and resumes on March 27th and has not seen them yet, he voted ‘no’. “Because it wasn’t done the right way, I am going to vote “no.”

Councilmember Leary echoed Councilmember Dickman’s words, stating he also was not part of the process. Wished Stutz the best in his new position but could not vote approval because of the process.
    Both councilmembers remarked they were not questioning Stutz’s qualifications, Dickman outright saying he thought Stutz was qualified. It was the process and they’re not being involved that led to they’re ‘no’ votes.

Why are you asking me whether their involvement would have had an impact on the members who had the majority vote in the decision-making process – who also voted as the majority in January. My concern all along has been the process.

Stutz won, the process sucked, Ciccarelli played no part in the outcome and is only relevant in that he opened the door to the process where residents finally got information as to number of applicants and interviews. It’s over, you were wrong in so many ways, but continue in your effort to disparage individuals.

Reading through the comments on this post. I knowing Lee has invested much more time. At the Town of Lancaster's Town Public Board Meetings. Then most of us will ever do now or in the future. Lee's wisdom attending and deciphering. On his own and not listening to the blasts. Coming out of other's irresponsible verbally and written words. I've invested enough of my own energy and researching the truth and facts. To understand wholeheartedly that postions. That open and presumably legally posted by a City, County, Town or Village. Becomes a "patronage" postion to fill! And that's with the political party that has ownership. Of that time in power that will never change! If anyone doesn't understand that you definitely. Are in the dark of the realities of politics. In your own established community.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information