Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siebert, closed until further notice

Siebert, closed until further notice

SIEBERT ROAD CLOSURE UPDATE
    To All Residents:
    The Town of Lancaster is trying to secure funding through a grant for the reconstruction of the culvert on Siebert Road. We are currently waiting to hear on grant funding, and we are hopeful to hear by mid to end of March. By trying to secure grant funding it will save the Town approximately $600,000.00 and we cannot begin the design process until funding is in place. We will then begin the design plan which takes approximately six weeks and then the project will be put out to bid which will take another six weeks. We are hopeful to have completion of this project by the end of summer. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause residents, but safety is always the priority. We appreciate your patience during this process.

Siebert_closed.jpg

It's hard to believe that it will cost that much, the town doesn't have the money, and that the road will still be closed for at least another 6 months.

In the video of Monday night's meeting , the engineer said there was a whole in it which made it unsafe to drive over. He also stated that the town can't spend any money on design prior to receiving the grant it would not be reimbursed. If no grant, it will go on the capital plan and be bonded.

Georgia L Schlager

Yaksplat: It's hard to believe that it will cost that much, the town doesn't have the money, and that the road will still be closed for at least another 6 months.
    Gorga: In the video of Monday night's meeting , the engineer said there was a whole in it which made it unsafe to drive over. He also stated that the town can't spend any money on design prior to receiving the grant it would not be reimbursed. If no grant, it will go on the capital plan and be bonded.
    When the Siebert Road resident addressed to board Monday evening, she acknowledged that she read of the road closure on the town’s website. She asked of the grant, whether the town had money in reserves to cover the cost of the repairs, why the problem was not foreseen, and why the delay.

She was informed that the grant was applied for some time ago and a DOT approval decision is expected in early March. If approved, the DOT will cover the $600,000 project cost – saving the town $600,000. If not approved the town would bond for $600,000 by month’s end – as it does for any Capital Improvement Project of that size and cost.

Supervisor Ruffino informed the resident that before the town puts any money out toward the project (design, etc.) before getting grant approval the town will not get access to the grant. Town Engineer Schiller supported Ruffino in reiterating that if the town spends any money before the grant is issued you will not be reimbursed.

When the resident then asked whether the hole was not foreseeable, Schiller replied: “No, not until it happened,” Schiller added that an estimated six weeks in delay would be eliminated if the grant were approved and the town didn’t have to go through the bonding process.

I thought the town handled the issue as best as possible. I find the claim that ‘the town has no money’ confusing and troubling. The town is trying to save the taxpayers $600,000. The town always bonds for projects of such size and cost.

I also find Gorga’s closing statement on her posts confusing and troubling:

Leary and his current
    Councilman members
    Working together to
    Bankrupt Lancaster

Do you want to explain the reason for that claim, Gorga?

You also claim Leary is a bully. That he was responsible for the resignation of several employees of the Supervisor’s office; a claim also made the Supervisor. Yet Mr. Leary is endorsed by the Republican and Conservative parties, and as of now there are no challenges. Nor any endorsed opposing candidate from the Democratic Party. What is it you see that others do not? Tell me why you think he is not deserving of being the next Supervisor and I will give you reasons why I believe he is.

My opinion is my opinion

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

When the resident then asked whether the hole was not foreseeable, Schiller replied: “No, not until it happened,”
    That's a load of crap. We witnessed the same failure 15 years ago on the other one of the exact same style of the same age. Of course it was foreseeable.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    That's a load of crap. We witnessed the same failure 15 years ago on the other one of the exact same style of the same age. Of course it was foreseeable.
    That's what the Town Engineer said. How big is the hole, yaksplat? Is it small enough that a plate could be used to cover it as a temporary repair - as they did on the Erie Street bridge a number of years ago until construction could start? Or is the overpass unsafe to drive on?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    My opinion is my opinion

Indeed, you are entitled to you own opinion, but you should also give some reasonable explanation for charging Leary and the other councilmembers with bankrupting the town when in today’s Lancaster Bee Supervisor Ruffino speaks of his address to the Lancaster Chambre of Congress on the State of the Town of Lancaster and presents a different picture.

Regarding the financial state of the town, Ruffino declared the town received a bond issue rating of Aa3, which is the highest rating a town of our size could get. He then spoke on all the grants the towns has received, Covid funds, anticipated grant funds applied for, and town project accomplishments.

I did not read Mr. Ruffino as taking credit for those accomplishments; rather, the town. The town acts by town board and town resolutions – the board, Councilmembers Leary, Burkard, Dickman and Mazur. Yet you claim the councilmembers are bankrupting the town and justify your claim by simply saying,” it’s my opinion.” It doesn’t square, Gorga.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    My opinion is my opinion

Indeed, you are entitled to you own opinion, but you should also give some reasonable explanation for charging Leary and the other councilmembers with bankrupting the town when in today’s Lancaster Bee Supervisor Ruffino speaks of his address to the Lancaster Chambre of Congress on the State of the Town of Lancaster and presents a different picture.

Regarding the financial state of the town, Ruffino declared the town received a bond issue rating of Aa3, which is the highest rating a town of our size could get. He then spoke on all the grants the towns has received, Covid funds, anticipated grant funds applied for, and town project accomplishments.

I did not read Mr. Ruffino as taking credit for those accomplishments; rather, the town. The town acts by town board and town resolutions – the board, Councilmembers Leary, Burkard, Dickman and Mazur. Yet you claim the councilmembers are bankrupting the town and justify your claim by simply saying,” it’s my opinion.” It doesn’t square, Gorga.

It's a small hole, less than about a foot in diameter. A plate would definitely cover the entire culvert with no issue. I'm waiting for a response from the town about it.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    It's a small hole, less than about a foot in diameter. A plate would definitely cover the entire culvert with no issue. I'm waiting for a response from the town about it.
    Hey yaksplat:

Please keep us informed regarding your response from the town.

The closing of Siebert for possibly 6 months puts a tremendous strain on the traffic exiting several developments going north to William Street or heading to Bowen to go north and across town.

The town's #1 priority is public safety, but if that culvert is structurally sound and not in danger of collapse, nothing more than a hole in the deck the size you claim, it could be covered as has been done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey yaksplat:

Please keep us informed regarding your response from the town.

The closing of Siebert for possibly 6 months puts a tremendous strain on the traffic exiting several developments going north to William Street or heading to Bowen to go north and across town.

The town's #1 priority is public safety, but if that culvert is structurally sound and not in danger of collapse, nothing more than a hole in the deck the size you claim, it could be covered as has been done in the past.
    I wonder why the past practice was to cover and allow traffic use and this time close it down?
    That's very puzzling

Georgia L Schlager

Siebert Rd culvert-

Do you think we should have it paid for with a grant and have the work done next year?

Or

Should we bond $600,000 and have the work completed this year?

Georgia L Schlager

At the town board premeeting work session, Town Engineer Ed schiller reported on the Siebert culvert replacement project and DOT grant application to reimburse the town for full replace cost.

He declared that he received information back from the DOT on the grant application to replace the Siebert Road culvert. “The process we have to go through to meet the grant will push off construction until next year. If the town bonded for the culvert replacement the work could begin this summer but cost the town the $600,000 construction cost.”

“The decision will have to come from the board whether to wait a year and get full culvert replacement reimbursement from the DOT, or for the town take on the project this summer and bond for the $600,000 project.”

Councilmember Dickman questioned whether there were any other grants available to help cover the project cost. Schiller responded that it was only the 100% DOT grant reimbursement application that was now before the board and its consideration.

Supervisor Ruffino responded that it would be nice if the town received a grant, but the work needed to get done. The residents cannot be inconvenienced for a year.

Hey yaksplat:

Listen to the beginning of last night's town board meeting recording and you will hear why Siebert Road will very likely be closed until the end of summer - and reasons why.

Why the culvert is compromised to the point it cannot have a temporary fix and safely put in use.

Why the DOT is waffling and not providing the grant money.

Why the town has a two-week window to decide whether to wait for grant approval or use the money already bonded.

At least they did mention resident inconvenience and safety issues,

$800,000 for the Siebert Road culvert in Lancaster.

It's amazing how the more money that is available, the more that is spent. Where's the extra $200k going?

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/w...0837a1d9b.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information