Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbonite

Carbonite

Anyone use it?
    Your thoughts?

use it
    love it
    saved me several times when onsite backup failed

I always have concerns around security and privacy with those online backup services.
    After all, photos of me when I was 3 will be extremely valuable someday...

I used Carbonite but switched to IDRIVE a few years ago.

First, Carbonite doesn't keep indefinite old files 9or at least it didn't do it back then, I don't know if they have changed).

Second, Carbonite screwed me. My backups were not being completed because of some glitch and they didn't notify me. I found out about 2 months later when I went to download a file. To their credit they did refund the last 12-months charges.

UGH....I just realized something....I don't think it works on external H/D's.....

I have about 60 GB of music on an external. So I was just thinking that maybe I would just temporarily move it to my main hard drive, then do a Carbonite backup from there.
    But, this is interesting:

Online/offsite file storage. Carbonite is NOT a place to move files from your hard drive, to free up space on your hard drive. If you remove any file from your hard drive, we wait 30 days for you to recover it, and then we delete that file from our servers, too.
    So, if you delete something from your hard drive, they delete it as well. Now, I need a Plan B.

I don't understand why anyone pays a monthly fee for something like this when it's a lot cheaper to buy a couple of external USB drives and use a freeware program to automatically copy your crap over to them.
    Meow, baby

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    I don't understand why anyone pays a monthly fee for something like this when it's a lot cheaper to buy a couple of external USB drives and use a freeware program to automatically copy your crap over to them.
    cause paying the monthly fee I dont need to remember to plug in the external drives, find the freeware and make sure its on, lazy yes, but I generally cant predict when one of the drives is going to go because I dont have the time or patience to monitor them that closely, nor do I care to when I can pay a fee every 3 years and not have to worry about it, plus for the elders in the family I dont have to explain, setup, and make sure they are backing up correctly

Having a storage device fail on me for recovery also helped

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    But, if you keep your externals all at the same place (say, at home,) and there's a fire - you're SOL.
    Carbonite is $55/year. It's not as if it's going to break the bank.
    If you have "a couple of externals," that has to cost you, what $150, or so?

Meh, I'm just a geek.
    Meow, baby

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    UGH....I just realized something....I don't think it works on external H/D's.....
    IDrive works on external drives. $5 month for 150 gb. $50 if paid yearly.

For $150 annual you get 500 gb.

Carbonite works well for someone who just wants to be protected from losing everything in the case of hard drive failure. $55.00 per year is cheap insurance. It is also easy to restore. Pop in the new drive, load the OS and get online with Carbonite and start the download.

I use an external and a software program that backs up my information. This is the best way for those that are tech savvy.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    I use an external and a software program that backs up my information. This is the best way for those that are tech savvy.
    So, what's the software program?

I rolled my own in VB. Actually it was something I came up with years ago to back up a server for a nonprofit I worked for that had a huge database of donors that they never backed up!
    Meow, baby

There are many free backup programs out there. I can't remember the name of the one I am using now. It might be Data Safe Backup for windows 7. Just go to cnet.com check for some highly rated ones. Try the one that works best for you.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information