Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how does one figure out how much electricity savings they may have?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Looked into 220V ... Was told a watt is a watt. That is what you pay for.

A new server I'm playing with for DNS pulls about 70 watts with 2 ssd's drives raid 1 in it. The servers running now draw 150 to 170 watts each. i'll replace all three. Zoom Zoom.

I'm going to put the original mechanical drives on to see if there is a difference for the hell of it but will use SSD's in this case.

40 gig intel SSD's are about $105 each. Little more than 250 gig sata mechanical drives. DNS servers don't have large hard drive requirements so 40 gigs are fine.

There is like no heat either.

I took a video of win XP booting.. I'll load it up to youtube in a bit. FAST and the drives I'm using are not considered fast ssd's

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Looked into 220V ... Was told a watt is a watt. That is what you pay for.

A new server I'm playing with for DNS pulls about 70 watts with 2 ssd's drives raid 1 in it. The servers running now draw 150 to 170 watts each. i'll replace all three. Zoom Zoom.

I'm going to put the original mechanical drives on to see if there is a difference for the hell of it but will use SSD's in this case.

40 gig intel SSD's are about $105 each. Little more than 250 gig sata mechanical drives. DNS servers don't have large hard drive requirements so 40 gigs are fine.

There is like no heat either.

I took a video of win XP booting.. I'll load it up to youtube in a bit. FAST and the drives I'm using are not considered fast ssd's
    I know a Watt is a Watt. However, you use fewer Watts when a datacenter is ran on 208V Therefore, you can generally pack your racks to 75% of capacity, rather than just half (Improving datacenter density).

Plus it runs cooler, so lower cooling bills.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/S...NQZ7_R2_EN.pdf

I've been involved in a couple of data center designs
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't have racks of servers. The build out cost would not have a good ROI.

The X25-V Intel SSD is not the fastest out of pack when it comes to ssd. I just threw XP on before loading Centos up to see what type of boot time it would have. It's fast! .. I just clicked on restart. Don't count the post boot of the motherboard. I was more interested to see the XP boot time once it started.

I don't have racks of servers. The build out cost would not have a good ROI.
    Ah, I figured you had at least a rack

The X25-V Intel SSD is not the fastest out of pack when it comes to ssd. I just threw XP on before loading Centos up to see what type of boot time it would have. It's fast! .. I just clicked on restart. Don't count the post boot of the motherboard. I was more interested to see the XP boot time once it started.

There are mobos you can buy with open-sourced BIOS's which cut even mobo boot time to a mere second

http://www.uefi.org/home
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/v...dows-in-under/

10 seconds to login prompt That's enough to make any geek happy lol

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    now my wheels are spinning...

May.. just maybe I'm gonna put together a new server for speakup. Intel has some larger faster ssd drives. Yes they are bleeding edge but on a raid 1 I think we'd be safe. This is like 170 Meg read 30 meg write. Ones I'm looking at now are 270 Meg read/250 write.

See we try to keep speakup green. Low power consumption.

Dont be a retard Tony. any 'savings' you have will be offset by higher cost per KWH. the big push for 'low per bulbs and energy star' equates to paying more for less, read, less freedoms.

dont be a retard and fall into this trap, or I will personally allow Sparky to poop on your shop floor.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The electric cost are going to go up whether I save electric or not so it's good to save what you can anyways.

WaTt

I let the kill-o-watt run to get an average kilowatt used per hour.

We got 1.59 kwh

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Dont be a retard Tony. any 'savings' you have will be offset by higher cost per KWH. the big push for 'low per bulbs and energy star' equates to paying more for less, read, less freedoms.

dont be a retard and fall into this trap, or I will personally allow Sparky to poop on your shop floor.
    So, if there is a rise in the price of a kW/h, then reducing the amount used will at least hold your bill stable... And, irrespective, you will continue paying "more for less", until we as a country get off of oil dependence. Of which we only have about a 40 year reserve of left.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    So, if there is a rise in the price of a kW/h, then reducing the amount used will at least hold your bill stable... And, irrespective, you will continue paying "more for less", until we as a country get off of oil dependence. Of which we only have about a 40 year reserve of left.
    And what % of your electric comes from oil??? 0%
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    About 1.1%...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...a/epa_sum.html

There is not a never-ending supply of natural gas and coal, either. Prices for electricity will continue to climb until we get off from fossil fuels, and onto Nuclear, Solar, Wind, and Hydro.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Very little should be seeing we have the Niagara Power project in our back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    About 1.1%...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...a/epa_sum.html

There is not a never-ending supply of natural gas and coal, either. Prices for electricity will continue to climb until we get off from fossil fuels, and onto Nuclear, Solar, Wind, and Hydro.
    No, i'm talking about YOU personally or WNY... 0%.

There are 2 reason why electric costs have gone up... the govt and the govt.

When NYS taxes Power companies and power bills... costs go up.

When the FED drives the value of the dollar down, the costs of the resources to provide power go up....

The reason Coal is cheap is because the majority comes from RED states... They have lower taxes...

Very little should be seeing we have the Niagara Power project in our back yard.
    but still we have the second highest power costs in the nation...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    but still we have the second highest power costs in the nation...
    Because the "government" class is screwing the "producers" to keep their fiefdoms running.

Rez, you are 100% correct... only in NYS would the power authority have $500m in cash laying around... which was stolen from the tax payer...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information