Thread: Missile Launch in California?

Missile Launch in California?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7036716.shtml

Surprised no one posted about this yet.

(CBS) A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught by CBS affiliate KCBS's cameras Monday night, and officials are staying tight-lipped over the nature of the projectile.

CBS station KFMB put in calls to the Navy and Air Force Monday night about the striking launch off the coast of Los Angeles, which was easily visible from the coast, but the military has said nothing about the launch.

KFMB showed video of the apparent missile to former U.S. Ambassador to NATO Robert Ellsworth, who is also a former Deputy Secretary of Defense, to get his thoughts.

Scroll down for KFMB video showing the launch.

"It's spectacular… It takes people's breath away," said Ellsworth, calling the projectile, "a big missile".

Magnificent images were captured by the KCBS news helicopter in L.A. around sunset Monday evening. The location of the missile was about 35 miles out to sea, west of L.A. and north of Catalina Island.

A Navy spokesperson told KFMB it wasn't their missile. He said there was no Navy activity reported in the area Monday evening.

On Friday night, Vandenberg Air Force Base, in California, launched a Delta II rocket, carrying an Italian satellite into orbit, but a sergeant at the base told KFMB there had been no launches since then.

Ellsworth urged American to wait for definitive answers to come from the military.

When asked, however, what he thought it might be, the former ambassador said it could possibly have been a missile test timed as a demonstration of American military might as President Obama tours Asia.

10 Famous American UFO Reports: Fact or Fiction?

"It could be a test-firing of an intercontinental ballistic missile from a submarine … to demonstrate, mainly to Asia, that we can do that," speculated Ellsworth.

Ellsworth said such tests were carried out in the Atlantic to demonstrate America's power to the Soviets, when there was a Soviet Union, but he doesn't believe an ICBM has previously been tested by the U.S. over the Pacific.

Officially, at least, the projectile remains a mystery missile.
    Any thoughts on who did this? Muslims? Chinese? Own Government etc?
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

They determined it was just a jet contrail.

It was the FSM.
    Meow, baby

Huh. Witnesses did say they smelled tomato sauce and Parmesan...

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Huh. Witnesses did say they smelled tomato sauce and Parmesan...
    He touched them with his noodly appendage, which altered their consciousness and made them think it was a missile.
    Meow, baby

Chinese missile launch. They are not happy with Obama and his policies.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Yea, I am inclined to lean in that direction too. I have never seen an aircraft contrail that looked like that or seen a aircraft with flames coming out the back or bottom depending on your perspective. I have seen missile launches that looked like that and space vehicles which leave similar contrails.

Someone is keeping a secret that they don't want revealed, either because it is too provocative (Chinese missile launch within sight of U.S. shore) or scarey (read=rogue missile launch by US or foreign forces)

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    mikeeee, could of been a chicom. but the area it was seen is a huge us navy missile test range. Does anyone really believe that US Aerospace command does not know what a contrail from a jet looks like?
    i love this women reporter from cnn she said it could of been a C-130 taking off no wonder their in last in the ratings in news.

"the US had launched an ICBM from the Atlantic Ocean side for the USSR's benefit. Ellsworth assumes that this maneuver is being repeated, most likely from a submarine." hummmm
    Robert Ellsworth, a former Deputy Secretary of Defense said it definitely was not a Tomahawk missile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl37UZvFsz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl37UZvFsz0

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    I have never seen an aircraft contrail that looked like that or seen a aircraft with flames coming out the back or bottom
    buy there were no flames shown in the video...

BB is correct, in the one still frame I saw you can see a small flame.

I really don't think this is an airplane seeing as it has a nearly vertical tragectory. Also, Norad had no record of it. Something tells me there is alot more to this story and we will likely never know.

Interestingly, Russian experts say it looks and acts like an ICBM launched from a submarine. The thinking is that this is from some foreign power and is meant to be used as a show of force. The US government would never admit as such but I could see this being the case.
    Last edited by Yankeefan2009; November 12th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

What a spoilsport!!!!

You do realize that reality is not nearly as much fun as scaring the bejesus out of yourself and your fellow tin-foil hat wearers by engaging in an orgy of hysteria?

One of the videos out there shows zoomed in video of the contrail with what appears to be fire/flames coming from whatever is causing the contrail. That is an interesting website, wonder if there is anything specific to the ocean. I mean we here in Buffalo live under a major east/west flight path and I have never seen contrails like that in the morning or evening skies!

But whatever. The government says it was an aircraft, who am I to differ...?

b.b.

They're saying what looks like flames was just light reflecting off the plane itself. Looking at the video we just see some brief flickers of light... we assume they might be flames, but there aren't flames in the video - just flickers of light.

That site yokes posted also brought up another interesting point - if it had really been a missile launch, we would have reports from other areas of the coast. But from those angles it probably looked much more like a regular jet contrail, so nobody gave it a second thought.

No doubt a missile.

Thread Information